Whats good for Learning - Bamboo Fun Medium or Intuos 4 Medium
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Whats good for Learning - Bamboo Fun Medium or Intuos 4 Medium

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Whats good for Learning - Bamboo Fun Medium or Intuos 4 Medium

I have been in a constant argument with one of my friends. He want to buy a Wacom Tablet and I already have a Bamboo Fun Medium Pen and Touch.

The Question is, He has never used a wacom tablet before. I suggested him not to spend an arm and leg on intuos 4 medium, which he will use to learn the digital medium. The combined cost of Tablet itself + using it learn + Wearing out expensive nibs while not doing any masterpiece or actual valuable work, Do you think its a wise to buy intuos 4 medium as first tablet. The Learning curve of Wacom Tablets is quite steep.

I bought Bamboo Fun Medium because I never used a tablet before. Still I feel like it will be a while before bamboo starts to pull me back on doing quality work as I am learning traditional medium on side too.

So what you think, Spending less now, Save up for Higher end Tablet while learn the tablet. OR, Bye an intuos 4 Medium to learn and waste the nibs and money for what he can do on bamboo fun too ?

I need some healthy advice, because I don't think I am myself very clear about it . Thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tell him to get a used Intuos3 6x8 for like 150 on ebay.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am selling my lightly used Intuos3 for $200 + S&H and I have little experience with using the tablet, but have dedicated myself to learning it even though I just purchased a 21UX.

A budget is a personal thing. If he's fickle and doesn't feel like he may stick with it for long, it would be wiser to start off with something cheaper than a multi-thousand dollar tablet, but he needs a model that at least has enough features to showcase the power of what a tablet can offer for him while he's learning.

"Doing something half-assed more than once just makes you more of an ass."
    ●● I7 920 2.67GHz QUAD ●● 12GB DDR3 ●● GTX285 OC ●● WINDOWS 7 PRO X64 ●● ADOBE CS5 ●● CINTIQ 21UX ●●

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AegisKleais View Post
    ...but he needs a model that at least has enough features to showcase the power of what a tablet can offer for him while he's learning.
    To be honest, I found that Bamboo can really do the trick. Not that I ever tried Intuos, but for the initial "don't know if this is going to be my kind of thing, so I'm gonna try light" period it's great, because it's cheap, but performs well at the same time. It's not like a beginner needs a dozen or so programmable buttons. Especially not if you learn keyboard shortcuts. Personally I had four keys and still used only three for New Layer, Enter and Save.

In my opinion the best feature of an Intuos tablet is still the hand that holds the pen and the head that masters it anyway. If there's nothing there, then there's nothing there and great equipment can't change it.

So I, for one, am with the opinion that just about -any- tablet can do this. If he really never tried it before, then I would really go and tell him to buy the cheapest Genius tablet out there and get drawing. If he likes it, he can very well buy a bigger beast later and sell the Genius on eBay.

-><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never tried a Bamboo, but if Wacom made, it, chances are it's a good product. I'm not selling my Intuos because I don't like it, I'm just moving to the next size up like one might normally do when they want to utilize the high-end tech.

I like the idea of looking at what I'm drawing with the Cintiq.

●● I7 920 2.67GHz QUAD ●● 12GB DDR3 ●● GTX285 OC ●● WINDOWS 7 PRO X64 ●● ADOBE CS5 ●● CINTIQ 21UX ●●

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I'd like to know is why are you so concerned about what kind of Wacom he'd be using? It is his money, so it's no loss to you if he spends 500 bucks on an Intuos and realizes he doesn't like digital illustration after all.

IMO, he can get either; it won't matter. He will be limited by his skills. If he's still a beginner, it doesn't matter if he gets a Bamboo or the latest tablet -- he will always come up with roughly the same level of work. Personally, I say if he has the cash to burn, he get the Intuos. If he's really serious about his art and finds out he really likes doing it, then he won't have to spend on another tablet if he decides to upgrade in the future. If he gets tired of it and finds out digital art isn't his thing, no skin off your back. It's his money he wasted after all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jie Kageshinzo View Post
    What I'd like to know is why are you so concerned about what kind of Wacom he'd be using? It is his money, so it's no loss to you if he spends 500 bucks on an Intuos and realizes he doesn't like digital illustration after all.

IMO, he can get either; it won't matter. He will be limited by his skills. If he's still a beginner, it doesn't matter if he gets a Bamboo or the latest tablet -- he will always come up with roughly the same level of work. Personally, I say if he has the cash to burn, he get the Intuos. If he's really serious about his art and finds out he really likes doing it, then he won't have to spend on another tablet if he decides to upgrade in the future. If he gets tired of it and finds out digital art isn't his thing, no skin off your back. It's his money he wasted after all.
    May be you are correct in your opinion. The reason why I asked about it is that I have seen people do art work masterpieces with Sand, Even old Graphire Tablets produced unbelievable results when got into skillful hands.

I get it now, Its The Driver, not the car Analogy which applies here. A novice will be a novice whether its 21UX or cheapest Bamboo.

Expensive equipment can't make you an artist in one night.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tools don't make the artist, the skill does. Some artists make due with next to nothing.

I didn't buy a 21UX to become a magically capable artist; I bought it because it was the medium (digital) and method (looking at what you draw) that best fit my preferences when it came to practice practice practice.

Members who have read this thread: 1