Illustration portfolio for university
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Illustration portfolio for university

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Illustration portfolio for university

Hi guys

I'm looking to apply for Art center's illustration (entertainment arts) program this summer, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips in the submission of a portfolio for the program. I've gone through many many threads but most of what I've seen relate specifically to entertainment design. I wonder if anyone here is currently attending ACCD's illustration program who know of any sample portfolio's that were succesful in getting into the program?

ACCD's website posted this on portfolio requirements

"Submit 10 to 15 original figure drawings from life that include both gestural and more developed pieces. Other observational drawings from life are also required such as self-portraits, sketches of acquaintances or friends, animals and scenes from nature and cityscapes. Include imaginative drawings that demonstrate your passion and understanding of illustration in both color and black and white. Submit two or three pieces that highlight drawing skills, and show the development of a story or concept. Sketchbooks that clearly demonstrate taste and thought process are recommended."

What is a good balance I should strike for my figure drawings, and what does more developed pieces mean? should i submit all self portraits, nature sketches etc? Or is it just up to my selection of the categories. Is it necessary to submit a sketchbook?

I'm in an art school in Malaysia and we normally do fully rendered portraits (usually celebrity ones) and lots and lots of gesture drawing, or figure drawings with muscles on them. The samples below are not for the portfolio but is just an indicator of my skill level

Attached are samples of my work so far at college in Malaysia. Any pointers for the portfolio submission would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Name:  jamesmarsden1.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  220.8 KB

Name:  newyorkIloveyouseries1.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  160.8 KB

Name:  Christianbale1.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  109.1 KB

Last edited by Ics; January 16th, 2011 at 03:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well the first thing I notice is that these are done from photos. They are good, but I would do some from life.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 2