Forest Dragon
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Forest Dragon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Forest Dragon

Hi,
    I made a dragon for a friend and I wanted to try more realistic.
    I havent got much experience and i'm hoping someone will give me some critique on what I can improve and what im doing wrong.

It still looks very cartoony to me and I dont know how to make it more realistic.
    Any advice is welcome.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lose it. It means, Go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. Wacko.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well for one, the lighting on the dragon is fairly bright, but the environment does not suggest any kind of light source like that. You might want to make the "sky" a bit brighter overall, perhaps paint some very soft rays of light coming down through the trees.

The forest looks decent enough, although I think the stream is a bit too "perfect", as though it's human-made. It could do with a little roughening up on the edges, tall grass, rocks perhaps, you get the idea I think.

It's a good start though, and definitely a good practise. Keep it up .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that some beams of light would be a very good idea, otherwise it looks like all the light should be coming in softly from behind. Also, everything is a little too "perfect"; the trees are roughly vertical and uniform in size with no roughness or branching until the canopy. The dragon's legs are cylindrical and its markings are linear and smooth and primary in color. There are no ripples in the stream, no stones at the edge. There's basically nothing to break up the smoothness that gives the image the feel of a cartoon.

Also, in a forest like this there should be darker darks, especially in the foreground where there is less mist to obscure the shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How does the dragon end up so colorful with all that green light? Also, it doesn't seem like the green haze is obscuring the depth of the environment evenly. From the foreground to the midground, there is a strong dropping off of values and color while from the mid to background, the forest is obscured very gradually by comparison. There is no indication this is intentional.

His tail does not appear to be equally altered by the haze as the tree which is the same distance from the viewer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea so far…. Yet the intense light on the dragon’s head should be replicated along the tail, legs and back areas.

The light glow coming from mid-left would deepen the shadows of some of the trees and also the beast itself.

…just some stuff I would try.

BP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like this pic! I'm going to agree with other posts about the river and only 1 or 2 issues with the lighting, the only thing that's bothering me is the back legs. You've got some nicely defined front feet that I like but when it comes to the back legs they're not quite so defined.

I'm going to drop in a quick suggestion that my art teacher gave me when she was fed up of me drawing dragons. You could try deconstructing what makes a dragon a dragon. It's kind of made up of lots of different animals; bats/birds, lizards, big cats, dinosaurs, etc. The best reference I've found was to use a lions legs as they're nice and powerful, which is kind of what I think you're aiming for.

Other than that I really like this picture, the trees especially!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the help, i've updated the drawing.
    I have the feeling to just stop with this one and start over .
    It is good practice tho.

Lose it. It means, Go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. Wacko.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm digging the improvements! The picture is still a bit soft looking, but the light shining on the dragon is great and the river is vastly improved. I don't think a do over is necessary, just a little refining in some areas. Don't be afraid to get bold, especially in the foreground. Some dark fern leaves or something would really help define the space IMO. That and warming up the direct light on the dragon (make it a little more yellow) would really help define it better, I think. Also, I can see that he foot is in the water, but it's not obvious. Some reflective ripples at the base would help a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice picture man, i love the rendering, i dont think "realism" would enhance it very much.

id say pull the light down onto the dragons legs a little more, justnow it looks like the light source is coming from directly above it, yet the lightrays say otherwise.

Maybee pull the river bank to the left of its back legs, it looks a little like the dragon is dipping its toe in the water and thinking "SHIT im not gona swim in that..."

Personaly i think you would benefit from changing the water collour to blue "with green reflections from the trees" this would draw the eyes to the centre of the picture, your focal point.. also you could add blue reflections onto the dragons skin. this would give it a bit of a "realism boost"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Much- better, great job! I would lessen the saturation of the red underneath the wings, since the light is green, but the overall lighting is definitely looking loads better .

I'd bend the stream back to the right where it fades into the distance, that would probably be a bit more pleasing to the eye (as right now we're being led off of the canvas).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I think you can be confident that you just improved the visual impact of the image several times over. You could definitely keep working on it and improving it (or any image for that matter) but this one has some solid foundations, why not perfect it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful!
    Maybe some more rays of light, even just one, as the sun would likely find more breaks in the trees than that, and the highlights seem to suggest it.
    I think the shading on the left wing is more representative of rounded shapes than smooth membrane planes, maybe even it out a bit.
    You could try using textures, painting in some scales, leaves, rocks, that kind of thing to give the appearance of realistic detail, if you are still going for realism.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update, changed several things.
    I made the dragon longer but im not sure about the anatomy.
    I'll soon call this one finished and start practicing with another drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kk
    nice progess.

My first question was, why it´s called "forest"?
    It doesn´t seem like a forest. More than many trees! I also would add a "wild nature". Don´t make it so cute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the picture has come a long way . If you're no longer motivated to work on it then you should indeed move on to the next picture, but this one still has quite a bit of potential and you've already improved it so much! Up to you, really .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    k thee are a couple of things that are happening here, first of all the greenish yellow contrasts nicely with the purplish red of the wing and dragon, the green yelklow lighting also gives the paniting a nice mood. Now for the values I think you can definetly push the a ot more and seperate the dragon design out from the backround, essentially make the backround a bit lighter around the dragon which will create the illusion of space also, you've got to ground the dragon, as it is looking like the dragon is floating in space (harsher and more defined shadows should do the trick) hope that helps =)

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...86#post2864086 sketchbook<-- my sketchbook check it out
    http://coolhead1.deviantart.com/ my deviantart
    looking for companies, this map might be useful http://www.gamedevmap.com/index.php?...an%20Francisco
    Why so awesome?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's awesome to see how you've improved yourself on this piece, nicely done!

However I've been thinking about the wings, ever since I saw the first picture. I don't know if it's a choice of design, but perhaps try to make the wings, a bit larger and more organic. Since I find them very straight and stiff at the moment.

---------------------------
    My brain just exploded!

My Sketchbook < < <

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing that strikes me is that the wing in the shadow has more of a see-through effect than the one in the light. It should be the other way around, where the light hits you should see the bones and possibly some blood vessels through the membrane. That said, I'm really digging this dragon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have made some good improvements. I think with that harsh light, the water, being the most reflective surface in the image, should have a lot more reflection in it. Also the dragon seems kind of stiff, you could have the closest arm stretched out more in the direction of the viewer. If it helps at all, go down on all fours and feel what would be comfortable for the dragon. Using sympathy and thinking of how the dragon would like to stand there casually will help you out immensely.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.