Question about impossibly huge muscles.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Question about impossibly huge muscles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question about impossibly huge muscles.

Perhaps this has been discussed before but I'm not sure how I'd look it up.

How do people know what the muscle structure of an impossibly huge character looks like?
    In cases like The Hulk, sometimes Venom, giant ogres in fantasy art, etc. they seem to be rippling and bulging with muscle. Are they all real body muscles that have been exaggerated or do they add fake muscles in to bulk them up?

Examples:
    Look how many intricate little muscles he has! Nobody looks like that, are those real muscles?

Venom is an excellent example. Look how huge he gets! You can't get a human reference for this stuff! lol

Last edited by manlybrian; January 15th, 2011 at 12:33 PM.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Venom may not be the best example of this style considering the texture of his symbiote layer, which often generates odd grooves, veins and lumps that may be mistaken for muscles.
    As for the overall topic, I personally dislike such images, but the best among them simply exaggerate muscle structure - the hallmark of a poor quality image would be masses of unreal muscles no one could find on an anatomical chart.

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first two are simply bleh and I don't like looking at them (EDIT although I see you edited your post so that my comments about the pics don't now make sense... the first is pretty well done) The third is basically a simplified, exaggerated human forum with peculiar veins drawn all over it. None convey a good impression of muscular form.

If you want to exaggerate musculature in a humanoid then you need to know and be able to reproduce basic anatomy. Then, try referencing a bodybuilder. You don't need to reference the hugest you can find, just one with defined muscles. For my Hulk pic I referenced a guy who looked about 150lb, but he had well-defined muscles which were easy to exaggerate. Then I shifted the proportions around a bit - bigger hands, smaller head, etc. It's an old pic and I can find a lot wrong with it now but it shows how 'real' muscles can be used as a base.

Last edited by Baron Impossible; January 15th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Like mentioned, bodybuilders are a place to start, even if they aren't exactly realistic either, seeing how many train muscles that in normal exercising wouldn't show.

Now what I personally like to think about when I see characters like Hulk, Bane and Venom is their skeletal structure. Like take a pic of those characters and redline their skeleton on the image.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think Baron Impossible did a good job explaining it. You don't need to add new muscles, just exaggerate existing ones, and change the proportions to make it seem larger (shrinking the size of the head is the most important to make the character look large).

On a lot of these really big guys, it may look like there are extra muscles there, but it is just because of really low body fat and all the fibers of muscles can be seen easier (and one doesn't often see this in real life). Look at this picture:

http://worldfitnessnetwork.com/wp-co...4256878_xs.jpg

It looks like he may have more muscles than an average guy, but it is just they are more defined. A deltoid usually looks like one mass on a normal person, and is in three parts on a really ripped guy. In this picture you can see each of the three parts looks like it is broken down into a few more smaller parts--the muscle fiber bunches become more apparent with less fat.

Another thing to note is that veins can play a large role too. Especially on those super steroid muscley men veins become bigger and pop out more because of the low body fat. Many people just leave out veins altogether (good on you Baron for putting them in). If you do it poorly like in the examples of the first post it can cause confusion, but if done well like Baron then it adds a greater sense of realism.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, these all answer my questions precisely. I had a future drawing in mind involving something like giant trolls and I wasn't sure how to go about this muscle thing. I think I'll have to get a stronger grasp on muscles in the arms/legs/back before proceeding though. Copying references ignorantly wouldn't get me anywhere.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,371 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Though having a brain the size of a pea must put them at a disadvantage.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    That, and being liable to explode if they attempt to move... o_O

13. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,883 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Plus testicular atrophy from steroid use...although removing themselves from the gene pool is probably a blessing for the rest of us.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Also, when you look at an anatomical chart you can see that the muscles have fibres and partitions, like the pecs and deltoids. Normally you can't see evidence of this in the live subject, not even with very fit guys. But making these show through the skin and exaggerating them makes it look like the monster not only has huge muscles, but loads of them.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem comic artist come across when drawing insanely huge muscles is that a lot of them don't understand real anatomy. So when they draw these HUGE muscles they soon realize they have a lot of empty space within the pectorals or traps. The remedy is...just add stuff until it looks "good" enough.

Jay's CA.org Sketchbook:
    Jay's Conceptart.org sketchbook

Check out my portfolio:
    http://jasonrossart.carbonmade.com

Check out my blog:
    http://mind2pixels.blogspot.com

"Practice" DOES NOT make perfect...
    "Perfect Practice" makes perfect...

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason Ross For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jason Ross: And isn't that something many publishers or editors or whomever really hate? That the artists they hire don't actually understand anatomy.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Well you know, that's probably why Spider-Man keeps beating Venom. It all makes sense, see?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Muscles adhere to the skeleton. Once the muscles become so large it becomes impossible to move without changing the size of bones. Hulk's skeleton has to grow to accommodate his muscles. If you look at the first picture, the basic groups are still there. There's just more texture applied to make it look good. Otherwise muscley characters would look like they're made out of balloons. So you just start off like you would with a normal person but plan for larger muscles. Enlarge the normal groups and/or make them more pronounced. Make sure the limbs are longer to support the muscles. Keeping the head on the small side helps sell the muscle bound look.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ha, I like that Da Vinci parody. Thanks guys, this helps a lot!

@Baron - Sorry, the first picture wasn't showing up when you posted, so when I fixed it it threw your comment off.

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.