Art Schools in nyc?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Schools in nyc?

I live really close to NYC and I'm a sophomore in hs right now. I'd like to go to an art school in new york city. Any recommendations? What would I have to do to prepare? I'm not taking a lot of art classes in my high school (parents and teachers are kind of forcing me to take regular classes..I really would if I could.) I think I have average grades, about a 3.5 gpa. I'm taking all these honors and ap classes. Sometimes I get overloaded with work I don't to get practice for days.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are several art schools in NYC as well as many liberal arts colleges and county colleges that have art majors. Make an account on Collegeboard.com and do a school search, it will provide you with all the schools in the area, price, statistics, etc etc.

To name a few that i know of: Pratt Institute, School of Visual Arts, Cooper Union, FIT, Parsons, etc.

If you can't take any art classes at school try to get into the habit of drawing in a sketchbook daily. Over the summer look into pre-college programs and portfolio creation programs, many of the colleges I listed have some sort of summer program. If you don't want spend you summer in new york, do a search for a private art studio around you and try to enroll in their summer session.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by somnia View Post
    I live really close to NYC and I'm a sophomore in hs right now. I'd like to go to an art school in new york city. Any recommendations? What would I have to do to prepare? I'm not taking a lot of art classes in my high school (parents and teachers are kind of forcing me to take regular classes..I really would if I could.) I think I have average grades, about a 3.5 gpa. I'm taking all these honors and ap classes. Sometimes I get overloaded with work I don't to get practice for days.
    A lot of how one might answer you depends on what you want to learn. If you want to learn to draw and paint like Bouguereau, Rembrandt and Vermeer, than I wouls suggest checking out Grand Central Academy on 20 W 44th Street in Manhattan; The Janus Collaborative up closer to Harlem and The Guild Atelier in Brooklyn - all have excellent teachers and are worth checking out.

Kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

portfolio classes

Hi Sonia,

I run the Bridgeview School of Fine Arts in New York and we have a special College Portfolio Program, something you could do with us on weekends to help you prepare a strong portfolio for art college which would give you a scholarship. You can check out our site at www.academicart.com and here is some recent work by high school students from one of the portfolio classes www.academicart.com/blog.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you really want to learn to draw and paint the Janus Collaborative School of Art all the way !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Depends on what you want.

SVA = 3D, concept/game design, film, graphic design. illustration dept aint bad either
    Pratt = illustration, architecture, int design, fine arts
    Cooper Union = fine arts
    Parsons = graphic design? meh on the 3D
    FIT = fashion

www.ellensu.com
    3D modeling | character designer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am continuing my education in SVA. I graduated as a game designer with a focus in 3D. I have not seen a game design department in SVA otherwise I would have signed in. All I know is that they offer some really really good 3d animation classes. I'm continuing my education there since I heard that most 3d artist have a traditional art background...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by saprissa9 View Post
    I am continuing my education in SVA. I graduated as a game designer with a focus in 3D. I have not seen a game design department in SVA otherwise I would have signed in. All I know is that they offer some really really good 3d animation classes. I'm continuing my education there since I heard that most 3d artist have a traditional art background...
    Oh it's not an individual dept but lots of classes within the computer art major that cater to the game designer. Good choice for 3D school. Currently a junior in the program so maybe I'll see you around!

www.ellensu.com
    3D modeling | character designer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to aiya its ai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aiya its ai View Post
    Oh it's not an individual dept but lots of classes within the computer art major that cater to the game designer. Good choice for 3D school. Currently a junior in the program so maybe I'll see you around!
    Oh no wonder! Yeah SVA is an excellent school to continue my education. I saw your portfolio and I think it's excellent!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, I think you should ask your parents to allow you to go to NYC on the weekends to take one art class. I think it would only be fair for you to do that. I hope your parents understand. Also New York Academy of Art and Bridgeview school offer a class for teens during the weekends (if im not mistaken). So yeah research the schools and ask your parents for permission before classes start at the end of the month!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

janus collaborative

Does anyone have any info on Janus Collaborative. The tutors themselves seem to know their stuff but what is it like to study there.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 608 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If it means anything to you, Elwell teaches at SVA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    Does anyone have any info on Janus Collaborative. The tutors themselves seem to know their stuff but what is it like to study there.
    I haven't been to Janus but I study under Michael Grimaldi, one of the founders of Janus, at the art students league. He is a great teacher with a very methodical approach to figure drawing and anatomy. A very nice guy who is willing to help anyone improve his or hers work. I would love to study at Janus one day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yogi View Post
    http://januscollaborative.org/

http://januscollaborative.org/blog/

Drop by and visit yogi. The teachers and students are friendly and happy to share information.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Janus Collaborative had an Open house this weekend. Some pics should be up this week.

Members who have read this thread: 2