Digital paintings in progress

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi everyone !

I'm posting those two digital paintings in progress, in order to have your opinion about the direction I'm taking.

Hopefully the right one

Thanks in advance for your critics !

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I don't think I've seen anyone paint that way before--finishing the face before even drawing the arm, etc. I think there is a name for that in drawing...shoot I can't remember it. How do you know your hand is in the right place to line up with the shoulder if you don't draw the elbow?

Well I would really advise against this process. I can't think of any advantage to it unless you're plein air painting and the sun is setting? There are many advantages to composing your entire image first. You will have an actual composition instead of what you ended up with here. You can also sync everything up as far as values and shapes go and even the mood.

These look like good practice in rendering but your images feel dull and pointless. I don't mean that to sound harsh--I just mean that I recommend trying to do a scene or telling a story instead of just rendering arbitrary half-figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with Artfix here i'm afraid, your approach seems a little counterintuitive to how a figure should be put together. A piece of advice you'll probably find a lot when talking about digital painting is to try and keep everything at the same "stage"; favouring small pieces of the image and developing them way ahead of the others risks giving an inconsistent feel and can lead to bad construction, particularly when you've painted half the image and not even constructed the other half.

As for actual critique, off the top of my head i'd say the mouth of the top guy is too far left and the hands of the woman seem a bit big; compared to her head, hers seem to have a ratio more similar to that of a man.

You clearly have some skills in rendering, i'd just say (like Artfix said), try to start by sketching/roughing the whole image before you begin and then keeping everything at a similar stage; you'll end up with much more consistent images (which will also be easier to critique as a result).

Hippies will walk through fire to get to my blog.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are these photo studies, Iyane?

Last edited by Pezz; January 15th, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
    "Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry, you really don't sound harsh at all !

I tried to a environment concept before, but have been really overwhelmed by Photoshop. It is the first time that I really try to paint something. I've been coloring some drawings before. But I feel like it's two different things. Anyway...

I chose to render people as a first step. Getting use to the software.

About my process, I approached the only way I know : do a sketch first, start working on it. I did a rough sketch on a layer, and then start to render. But you're right, I should think first about values. I'll definitely try that method for the next one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscenic View Post
    I have to agree with Artfix here i'm afraid, your approach seems a little counterintuitive to how a figure should be put together. A piece of advice you'll probably find a lot when talking about digital painting is to try and keep everything at the same "stage"; favouring small pieces of the image and developing them way ahead of the others risks giving an inconsistent feel and can lead to bad construction, particularly when you've painted half the image and not even constructed the other half.

As for actual critique, off the top of my head i'd say the mouth of the top guy is too far left and the hands of the woman seem a bit big; compared to her head, hers seem to have a ratio more similar to that of a man.

You clearly have some skills in rendering, i'd just say (like Artfix said), try to start by sketching/roughing the whole image before you begin and then keeping everything at a similar stage; you'll end up with much more consistent images (which will also be easier to critique as a result).

I'll do that next time, keep everything at the same stage. That's a bad habit I got when I draw something too : I usually pencil and ink at the same time. I know great who do that. I'm comfortable doing it. That method suits me. For pencil and ink.

So should I lay basic spots of colors or greys to have an idea of the overall composition ?

Yes Pezzle, they are. I need to practice digital painting, so I figured I would get started. And they are for a class. I have to do a drawing with a musical theme.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyane View Post
    I'll do that next time, keep everything at the same stage. That's a bad habit I got when I draw something too : I usually pencil and ink at the same time. I know great who do that. I'm comfortable doing it. That method suits me. For pencil and ink.

So should I lay basic spots of colors or greys to have an idea of the overall composition ?

Yes Pezzle, they are. I need to practice digital painting, so I figured I would get started. And they are for a class. I have to do a drawing with a musical theme.
    When I start a digital painting - or any piece for that matter now - I work on everything at once. This way you know the composition is still going to work, the elements are going to be placed properly and everything will look right. When it comes to something like digital painting it is easy to get sucked into the areas of interest and detail such as the face, but try to ensure every part is connected before you start really rendering anything. It helps create coherency.

I also advise painting on a neutral gray (light or dark) background if possible, as you have in the guitar player picture.

Also, I think you should work on your brush economy. Always use the right size brush for the job. You posted an update on facebook where I can tell you've used a smaller brush for large areas of highlights and shadows. I, too, need work in this area.

Try altering the brush shape by flattening it down to a really tiny elipse. It makes it feel more like a filbert or a flat brush (traditionally)

Just curious, who's class is it for?

We have similar ambitions.

"Twisted by the dark side, young Artist has become. The boy you trained, gone he is... consumed by Deviantart."
    Please, visit my SB ~ N E C R O S K E T C H I K O N ! [Updated :: November 2011]
    My DeviantArt Profile: http://dyspezzia.deviantart.com/
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.pezzworks.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you mean by brush economy ? Should I use the size that will cover the area I need ? To avoid a scribbled effect ?

I tried once to flatten my brush tip, but I didn't like it. Because I couldn't rotate the brush. It always had the same orientation, so it was really disturbing to use.

It is for Buniak's class. Do you have him ?

Really ? Maybe we can help out each other then But why did you come to this school then ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is ok then that you are just starting and practicing. Its a good idea to get familiar with everything first, you're right.

I'm not sure if this is true for all tablets and all versions of photoshop...and all pens for that matter, but you can change the behavior of brushes a lot in your brush settings. In shape dynamics you can change the angle jitter to direction so the flat side of a brush is always flat. You can also change it to initial direction which means it will be flat for each new stroke, but you can get the calligraphic effect throughout the same stroke.

You definitely will want to look into these options If you get confused, look for photoshop brush setting tutorials, and look for some new brushes while you're at it!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.