Thanks

Question Painter 8 blending

Hi, New to this forum as well as Painter 8 and a Wacom Tablet. I have been trying to blend two colors together and can not figure out how it is done. For example: I just want to paint basic shadows on a figure, so I paint the skin tone, then I select a darker skin tone and paint the shadow, but the two colors do not blend when they overlap... is there a way to get this to work or am I way off here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. This forum rocks!
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.

- Pablo Picasso

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well you just just take the "just add water " brush and blend with that one.. propably the easiest ...

Thanks
    The Bleed and Resat controls in the Well section of the Stroke Designer control the degree of blending. Actually, the Resat. controls the amount of color replenishment and the bleed slider controls how much the brush color smears any underlying colors. Unfortunately, this also includes the underlying canvas color (which in traditional media should be inert).

If you select the Round Camelhair brush (from the Oils category in Painter 8), choose 'Restore Default Variant' (from the Brush Selector Bar menu), you should find that with low stylus pressure, the stroke blends with the underlying color. As stylus pressure increases, the degree of blending decreases.

For the above brush variant, you should also be able to access the Bleed and Resat sliders in the Property Bar when the Brush Tool is selected. You could experiment with the Bleed and Resat settings in the Property Bar to learn how these settings effect the stroke. More details are in the Painter manual.

David

Thanks
    Hi,

In Painter 8, there's a Blenders brush category with several good blending variants. Experiment with them to find the one(s) you like best, to get the desired result.

Just Add Water is one of those variants, as mentioned in the message above, and it's probably the most popular one, especially for Painter beginners, since it's been available in several Painter versions.

With some brush variants, you can also temporarily adjust the brush variant you're using to paint to do blending.

In the Brush Creator, Stroke Designer tab, go to the Well section and adjust the Resat slider and Bleed slider so the Resat slider is somewhere nearer the left end and the Bleed slider it somewhere to the right of the Resat slider setting. Again, experimenting will help you find just the right settings.

With some brush variants, you'll also find the Resat and Bleed controls in the Property Bar.

If you're going to do a lot of blending with the adjusted brush variant, you can save it as a custom brush variant in the same brush category where your painting brush variant is located.

With the adjusted (for blending) brush variant selected, go to the Brush Selector menu and choose Save Variant. Give it a unique name not already used by Painter and click the OK button. (Be sure to give it a unique name so you don't overwrite your painting variant or any other brush variants.)

Good luck!
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks

Thanks

Wow, what great detailed information.

I really appreciate these responses.

Thanks again.
    Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.

- Pablo Picasso