Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Meg's sketchbook.

Alright, since my almost ten year break from this forum, here is what I draw now:

Name:  20160825_Thumbnail.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  69.1 KB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok time to start a sketchbook for crits.

I really should draw more often, but I am more of a 3D person. Whenever I do have some stuff made, I'll put it here.

Meg's sketchbook.

This was suppose to turnout as some sort of weird catterpilar, but halfway I decided to change it. Crits always welcome.
    Last edited by Megann; September 13th, 2016 at 01:05 PM. Reason: New Update

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    fun sketch, well you asked for crits so here goes.

line weight - its better not to have the same dark outline all over the drawing. if you draw darker the outline where a darker shadow should be it creates the illusion of form better.

rendering - you could push the rendering a bit more, it could do with more contrasy between the lightest and darkest areas. maybe if you had the light coming form one side it may help

Thanks
    Thnx for your crits. I did another one of this wormthingy. I don't like this one as much as the first one, but I did try to do something with your crits.

I used thinner lines on stuff that's futher away and I tried with light only comeing from one place and more contrast. I must say I find it damn hard, but here is the result so far. I might do a few more or try other stuff.

Meg's sketchbook.

I just saw now as I uploaded the drawing that the anatomy of the worm has some serious mistakes. The lines don't match on both sides. I'll pay more attention the next time. Any other things that I can do to improve it please let me know.

Thanks
    you draw evil mean things

Thanks
    look around for good references of snakes and how they look when curled up or the way they wind up just before they strike.

Thanks
    Had lots of help from a classmate for this one. Constant feedback in fact. This is the result and I am pretty pleased. I still can't get there on my own, but the snake reference helped for sure.

Meg's sketchbook.

This is the last one of this character. Crits are still welcome though.

Thanks
    the last one are a little to grey, mostly middletones
    get some black in it.

other then that. keep it up

peace

Thanks
    Good to see someone taking good advise and using it. That's the quickest way to becoming the kind of artist you can be.

The last pic is a great improvement, although i agree with wakazou about the tonal changes.

The only other thing i would say is that you don't see (unless someone can tell me otherwise) creatures of a certain size built in segements as this one is. To me it looks less like a snake and more like a worm. If that's what you were going for then it ok, but if it was supposed to be a large creature then it looks a little odd.

I'll be sure to pop back in! Keep posting.

Thanks

New stuff

I've been trying to do some of the reference pics they post in cgtalk.com daily. I find it veru difficult. Here is what I have so far:

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

A classmate of mine recommended that I'd try black paper with white pencils to learn more about shading. And I must confess that it makes me more contious about where shadow is and stuff, but I still have a lot to learn. Here is some stuff, all done from ref pics except the last one:

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.
    I got interrupted while drawing this one, but I like the start so I may finish it one day or start over.

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Me playing around with charcoal. I haven't done this very often. Here's a charcoal horse:

Meg's sketchbook.

Thanks
    Crits always welcome ofcourse

Thanks
    Stuff I did at work.

Meg's sketchbook.
    Meg's sketchbook.
    Meg's sketchbook.
    Meg's sketchbook.
    Meg's sketchbook.
    Meg's sketchbook.
    Meg's sketchbook.
    Meg's sketchbook.

Thanks
    Your values and your lines are quite messy. Maybe you should try to work more on your lines first and then do a range of values for practice (you know, make five or ten squares, the first white, the last black and try to increase the value in the same proportion on each one).

On a brighter note, the charcoal horse and the owl made on black paper look quite nice.

Keep at it!
    Cheers,
    entdroid

Thanks
    These last pictures are definately an improvement upon the previous drawings.

One thing to think about is when drawing with a pen, be careful how you are making tones. Try cross hatching, short straight lines and lifting the pen off the paper, instead of circles always touching the paper.

One thing i liked to do at work was steal the newspaper and cut out images i liked and copy them. I had a very small sketchbook and tacked the pictures onto the opposite side. Or draw whatever is sitting in front of you. Squint your eyes and see what the lightest parts of objects are, and where the darks are. Right now it looks like you're focusing on the midtones and the images become very flat to the eye.

Keep up the drawing, you're doing great, and try to avoid that lined paper if ya can. =^)

Thanks
    Aside from anatomical issues, one thing which jumped out at me was how "unsure" your lines are. Instead of drawing long strokes, even if wrong, you keep yourself doing short zig zag type lines. Try to draw with some more confidence with every stroke, even if you aren't perfect with everyline, the end result, no matter how "sketchy" will look much better then what you currently have here.

Oh...and keep posting new stuff, its awesome to see progress from the first post to the most recent.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Thanks for all your comments. I am slowly trying to use them, although I find it difficult. My job is boring beyond hell and I am not allowed to do much else, but draw. (Oh and answer the phone since it is a callcenter )

Here is what I did the last few days:

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Meg's sketchbook.

Thanks
    Meg's sketchbook.

This is better than what I usually do, but any crits are ofcourse very welcome.

Thanks
    Meg's sketchbook.

Thanks
    Would you post some the 3d work you normally do? Improvement shown since first post, but a lot of it is hesitant. Do you have any anatomy books to learn from?

Your stuff here looks like you know where you want the light to hit and such. Have you considered trying a tablet?

Thanks
    I have a tablet but I can't really get out of it what I want. It's a cheap tablet and with sweaty hands it really is a pain to work with (it's about 30 degrees, maybe more, out here atm).

I have some anatomy books. For the last two I used reference pictures.

Thanks for your crits.

I have some 3D work on my site: httP://www.marjanvandermeulen.com
    Last edited by Megann; July 2nd, 2006 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    A little fan would do the trick no? I think you ought to try using basic shapes to block in your sketches before you start dropping shadows. Keep practicing!

Thanks
    Name:  Web_headthingy03.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  65.7 KB

This I drew from the picture of a statue. I worked longer on the construction this time.

Name:  Web_self_attempt.jpg
Size:  53.9 KB
    My first attempt at a self-portrait. I used a mirror. My arm started stinging half way through. It wasn't a very serious attempt because it was so hot today. But the result is that the whole thing is misaligned, but it was an interesting experience. Will definately try to draw myself again.
    Last edited by Megann; August 3rd, 2016 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks
    Name:  Web_comic_copy.jpg
Size:  83.3 KB
    Drawn two months ago while I was staying at a hotel and didn't feeling like doing anything else.

Meg's sketchbook.
    Did this today, after a two month break. I tried the blocking out first, but to stop for two months is just a bad idea altogether I noticed. Have some more time now, but unfortunately I wrecked my tablet pen and it won't hold the battery another. So I will have to make do with pencil en paper again.

Ah well time to buy a real tablet this time .
    Last edited by Megann; August 3rd, 2016 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks
    Meg's sketchbook.

Thanks
    very good potential but you need to slow down with the construction and rendering, make it look smoother. And when doing portraits, check the relationship among the features before committing lines to form them.

Sketchbook :: Blog

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Homer Simpson, The Simpsons

Thanks
    A sketch like this takes me two hours and I thought I was going too slow, but I can spend more time on it.

Thinking about doing some construction only skectches for a while to practise proportions and such.

Thnx for the crits OldNoobie

Thanks
    I think these pictures so far are a good start...Um I do feel however that the pictures look a little flat. I would suggest taking something that is well lit and study how the light is really hitting the object. Perhaps take some reference pictures or set up a still life. And just study how to shade something by just drawing the shadows instead of the lines.... Don't be afraid to use values, give your portraits and objects some weight. This site has some step by step stuff www.jdhillberry.com.... Um also perhaps look into getting some how to draw books. I personally love How to Draw on the Right Side of the Brain www.drawright.comfor reading material for someone at your level. Personally ...ah Form should really be your prioraty at the moment. Study shape and preportion a bit more. This site seems to have a lot of good reference material avaliable figuredrawings.com
    Who exactly is this minjit you ask?
    Rorke's Sketch Book of Doomy Dooomm!
    I don't want to go mommy...>.< you can't make me!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”
    --Robert McCloskey quote

Thanks
    thnx rorke I was looking for something like that. I guess I most definately could improve on technique.

Thanks
    So I finally have started drawing again and this time forever I hope.

Here is what I did today:
    Meg's sketchbook.

Have tried to give it more depth. Next time I will try to use more values.

Thanks
    Well I started this one from reference and then got bored and went my own way.
    My first attempt at something plant like:
    Name:  Web_rose.jpg
Size:  53.5 KB
    Last edited by Megann; August 3rd, 2016 at 04:07 PM.

Thanks
    my suggestion- when working from reference, turn the reference upside down first. this way you won't be relying on your left-brain, symbol-based thinking/interpreting methods.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast