Art: Geographik Artwork - Megapost

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Geographik Artwork - Megapost

Salutations, conceptartists. My name is Geo. Conceptart.org has nurtured my artistic growth for years, it is an honor to post at last.

My intention is to connect my art with information. To that end, I have interlaced my post with links to related documentaries and articles. As artists who spend long stretches of time on the computer, I encourage turning them on while painting. My hope is this material will provide you with intense inspiration and motivation as it has for me.

Tantric Marriage
    Within the body there is a fountain of energy that lay dormant. By studying and practicing the wisdom of the ancients, we may learn to unlock and kindle this sacred fire. Prana, Chi, Kundalini, the Force, there are many names for it. By learning to purify and strengthen our bodies and minds, and transcending the waves of emotional turbulence, we may learn to raise this energy and activate higher levels of consciousness that amplify every aspect of our lives. As we generate this loving transformation within ourselves, we radiate that frequency out into the world we experience. When we create balance in ourselves, we create balance in the Universe.
    Jai Shiva Shakti.

Om Mani Padme Hum

This piece was inspired by the months I spent in Dharamsala, India while studying to complete my Yoga teacher training course. My teacher Sivadas said that there was unrest among the local people because the rains were 3 months late. The rhythmic cycles by which the farmers have planted their crops since time immemorial are thrown into chaos by global warming. Pause to consider the scope of this. It is now happening all over the world, and all of the indigenous people, without voice in any form of mainstream media, are subject to grim uncertainty about how they will feed their children.

Yet within this ominous prospect, the seeds of hope have taken sprout. Crisis provokes leaps in evolution. I wanted to depict the transmutation of Darkness into Light, for as the suffering of the planet becomes impossible to ignore, we raise the clarion call to compassionate action. 'As the lotus rises untainted from the mud, so too does our consciousness bloom.'

Documentary:
    2012: Time for Change - From Conscious Evolution to Practical Solutions

Anapurnadevi
    The Hindu Goddess of the Harvest. As our world roils in the throes of climate change, population growth, species extinction, and industrial pollution, we face a period of urgent transformation and realignment. The Earth is capable of supporting us all, if we can rise to our role as her steward. As artists, we may help engender the sustainable paradigm shift and usher in a new utopian era of abundance and harmony with the Earth.

Coalition of the Willing - 15 min inspiring animation

HOME - stunning airbone footage documentary

Here Comes the Sun - uplifting solar power documentary

The Future of Food - big agriculture/GMO documentary

Shaper of the Merkaba

As I learn to manipulate digital clay, shifting pixels around in a virtual environment, I work to deepen my lucid awareness of waking life as yet another virtual world, as malleable to our imagination as the clay.

I had a dream that I was sitting in a dim room. I held up a jewel, a tiger’s eye striped with jasper. I spoke the ancient Vedic axiom, ‘I Am That,’ and suddenly my body and the room dissolved as if it were the disturbed reflection on the surface of water. The ripple pattern was in the shape of the Merkaba. Reality shimmered away and I experienced myself as the infinite unmanifest Void (Purusha, Shunya, Nirvana, the Vacuum). It is the feeling of utter peace, the quiet eternal Awareness that we return to each night. My body and the room shimmered back into existence, and I played with the phenomenon several times, speaking the spell and hazing into and out of astral reality.

The Shaper of the Merkaba is our higher Self in its creator aspect. This piece is a celebration of the fact that we are all the shapers of our own realities.

Cyberspacial Telepathy

This was originally a live piece that I worked on at the Final Oracle Gathering, side by side with Android. That was a grand occasion. This piece was printed in Projections magazine and released at the Rainbow Serpent Festival in Australia. I paired the art with an article on an issue that I feel strongly about, the mining of coltan for use in consumer electronics.

Coltan is a rare mineral that can withstand high degrees of heat, so it has become an essential ingredient in the battery capacitors of our consumer electronics, including all of our laptops, mp3 players and cell phones. Coltan is mined in the Congo by slave labor, including what the United States Department of Labor listed as the “worst forms of child labor.” Gorillas are slaughtered and the meat is sold to miners and armies that control the area. Warlords kill to control the mines, and the soldiers mass rape the local women as means of psychological warfare against the men. 5.4 million deaths have been attributed to the mining. I think that this is a dark truth worth knowing as we surf our facebook profiles and use our phones to call our loved ones, for our technologically privileged lifestyles come at a terrible price.

I think this issue is particularly important to understand as a digital artist. Our tech was clawed from the guts of the Earth. When we realize where our toys are coming from, it illustrates our responsibility to use that technology to sublimate the very system that produces it. We have the power to manifest imagery that can resonate in the hearts and minds of millions of people. We can use the power of our digital networks to organize and transmit a message of Unity. Let us use these tools for the benefit of all beings.

>> Beyond Cyberspace Article

Chris Jordan photography piece

Documentary:
    The Real Mobile Phone Wars

Galactik Ganesha
    During my travels I saw Ganesh depicted in Hindu, Tibetan Buddhist and Thai traditional art. I find it striking that the appeal of the elephant headed god is so multicultural. Lord Ganesha is known as the remover of obstacles, the messenger and scribe of the gods, analogous to Hermes in the Greek tradition or Thoth in the Egyptian. Yogis propitiate Ganesh to remove obstructions from their channels, so that the Kundalini may rise uninhibited and ignite the higher states of awareness.

Triumvirate

The Hindu triumvirate of Brahma the Creator, Vishnu the Preserver and Shiva the Destroyer, given a Neo-Tribal Cyber Fusion spin.

Geographik Caduceus
    The archetype of the caduceus is ancient, appearing in disparate cultures across centuries. Twin serpents rise from the Earth as the double helix of life, where the wings of the bird are flung wide as they attain the Heavens, creating the bridge of Axis Mundi. It represents the inner path of the Healer, bringing knowledge down from higher planes of consciousness to rejuvenate the Tribe.

Arcology Fleet

I made this to commemorate the caravan migration of my friends and allies to a new home base, where we now pool our powers of creation on a single project of global significance...

Prosperity

Painted live at Prosperity Festival, 09

Burmese March

In honor of the thousands of Burmese monks and student activists who stood up in protest of the brutal junta regime in September 2007. Hundreds of protestors were killed during the ensuing crackdown. Subjected to beatings and arrests, the demonstrators maintained their commitment to non-violence, empowered by the knowledge that the true Self is immortal. Their bravery is commemorated here.

Live Projector Performance Paintings:
    I made most of these in 2008 and 9 at underground music festivals as VJ performances.

The Gift of Bass
    Fundraiser piece for the Transcendent Church of Bass in Seattle

Emerald City Sci-Fi

Neuroglobin

Holographic Buddha Network

Feedback
    These 3 were created during a single 24 hour period for an art making marathon thrown by the Center on Contemporary Arts in Seattle.

Nanorganic
    Painted live at Connexion, Seattle 2008

Primal Mysticism
    Painted live at Peking Duckstep, Seattle 09

Shakti Insight
    Painted live at Chillaxity, Seattle 09

Urban Subversion
    Painted Live at H’Art Opening, Seattle 09
    Printed in Projections Magazine, Rainbow Serpent Festival

Lotus Link

Somatic Revolution
    Painted Live at Somatic Revolution, Orcas Island 08

Ecstatic Shakti Alignment

Rain City Groove
    Painted live at the Buddhaful Groove Drive fundraiser, Seattle 09

Older work:

Viradical Caduceus

Animus Paradigm

Industrial Anesthesia

Whoever controls the media controls our minds. This is one of the most important issues to understand if we are to change our world for the better. Who’s programming you, and why?
    Documentary:
    The Corporation
    Documentary:
    Manufacturing Consent

Avarice

“It remains to be seen how many people in our time will make that journey from war to nonviolent action against war. It is the great challenge of our time: how to achieve justice, with struggle, but without war.” -Howard Zinn
    Documentary:
    Why We Fight

A particularly pertinent documentary for artists in the game industry:
    Moral Kombat
    Moral Kombat website

Shadow Surge

Each of us has a part of our mind where we store negative thoughts and emotions. Jung called this ‘the shadow.’ The healing process of psychotherapy works by teaching people to face these facets of the unconscious. In order to mature and develop, the individual must be open to the parts of oneself beyond the ego. Methods to achieve this include paying attention to dreams, exploring spiritual concepts, and questioning the roles placed on us by society. Here is a fascinating documentary series on the subject: The Century of the Self.

Hacktivist
    I am on a mission to virally spread radical ideas.
    This documentary is filled with them.
    Zeitgeist: Addendum

Neuromural

Mycelial Beatscape

Fungi and mycelial networks present an amazingly powerful means of healing our damaged ecosystem! Here is a Paul Stamets video on TED all about it.

Millenial Uprising
    Painted Live at Freq Out, Seattle 08
    Generation WE video

Concept design for the Rachel Corrie Foundation mural in Olympia WA.
    Documentary:
    Peace, Propaganda and the Promised Land

Battle in the Belly of the Beast
    Painted Live at Manifest, Seattle 08

I've been very inspired by such authors as Howard Zinn, Noam Chomsky, Cornel West, Ken Wilber, and Joseph Campbell among many others. I try to find opportunities to tag creative works with breadcrumbs that lead to specific information. To that end, I've worked with a few friends on a site called the Datachurch:

Datachurch

It's an archive of (r)evolutionary content to share with people, especially those who have never been exposed to the ideas inside. Navigate to the tag menu on the right and click on whatever garners your interest.

Portraits:

My beloved.

My Yoga teacher Sivadas. I studied with him for 2 months in Dharamsala at the foot of the Himalayas, the home of the Karmapa and the Dalai Lama.

Concept art

Brooding Ruler

Gaian Snake Charmer

I graduated from the Evergreen State College in the summer of 07, where I absorbed the exquisite artwork and ethos of Alex Grey, and pursued an independent course of study including digital painting, creative writing, and comics/sequential art. I draw great inspiration from Android, many of the pieces here were created as live projector performances at festivals and electronic music events. Clearly my art is very reminiscent of Andrew's, and I intend to continue steering my work in new directions. I remember looking at Andrew's and Sparth's portfolios in college and immediately knowing, 'this is what I want to do with my life.'

In college, I had first thought to become a concept artist for videogames and film, which led me to digital painting, like so many members of this community. However, my continued research led me to realize that in their current state, games and Hollywood are very much the opiate used to distract people into consumer zombies while the world burns. As more and more of us become aware the scope of the challenges facing our planet, I believe that we can transform the entertainment industry from the inside into a force of great change. I look to The Matrix, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Captain Planet, and many other projects as examples of how subversive art can be disseminated through mass media.

In the age of globalization and world-spanning communication networks, our Tribe expands to include the whole of the earth, and our Earth is in dire need of healing. Our planet's ability to support life is being destroyed by greed. The people of the world are enslaved by the debt system and the military industrial complex, mesmerized by corporate media entertainment. Each of us must learn to free our minds from the dominator culture, recognize our interdependence, and seek our own empowerment within.

Soon after graduating from college, I attended Conceptart.org's Revelations workshop in Seattle, which completely transformed and elevated every aspect of my life. Artistically, socially, financially, romantically, everything about my world was completely transformed for the better as a result of attending the workshop. I am very grateful to have had the privilege, and highly recommend attending. Likewise I am grateful for all of you who create this community, you have profoundly changed my life and so many others. With all my heart, I thank you.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Geographik; April 13th, 2011 at 02:07 AM.
    'Now you can find the others, you don’t have to stick a flower in your hair and go to San Francisco, you just go to the Web. Using this technology, which was designed to keep track of us, to pick our pockets, and to sell us junk we don’t want, use this technology to produce art. Massive amounts of subversive art.'

thread:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204490
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Geographik For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very impressive body of work, looks like your a big fan of android but your still taking it in your own direction, keep up the great work im a new fan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gorgeous colors! definately see alot of mr. Jones in these, but you mentioned that and i definately approve of you enabling and empowering your art for more than just arts sake... those gifs at the end are particularly sweet! right on right on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!

Where to begin?
    This is so beautiful.
    I LOVE the animated ones at the end. Truly spectacular.
    The influence is evident, but the execution and your particular spin are awesome.

"Anapurnadevi" is so gorgeous.

I really like all of this stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, I still need to get me a print of Tantric Marriage
    On my dt right now.

Keep it up bro!!

M

Thanks
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I always loved your stuff over at Pod Collective! Fantastic work, man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really awesome stuff. Those gifs are amazing. Very original. I wonder why noone has thought of that before. I see a lot of Android in it, but that is ment as a compliment. If we weren't allowed to be inspired by eachother, we would not progress.
    I think that some of your characters could use a little more work, but that is my only crit.
    Nice work man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That possibly the most beautiful Ardhnarishwar I have ever seen.
    I can see the Android influence in your pieces, but then again, he is an inspiration to us all. It is magical that you have understood and absorbed his vision and energy and created something stellar of your own.
    Beautiful pieces, looking forward to many many more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW!!! JUST WOW!!! Emerald City is one of the best to me... Stunning contrast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Geo, You continue to move and inspire me to act on my own intuition.
    Your vision is phenomenal and it resonates deep within your work.

Effect, Change, Pro-Create. Let our media be the seeds that nourish the current.

Deep blessings to you brotha.

http://totemical.com/ " My Eyes Are Open, Love Light and Bliss"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its amazing.... really an inspirational work for all of us...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow those animated pieces are wicked cool man. God imagine if you could print them in good quality and somehow have them animated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also strongly believe we live in exciting changing times of our spiritual journey and the world that is reflected around us. your work is indeed very inspirational. I myself have big self-sabotaging problems but I know the answer is in meditation and temporary solitude for me and I'm trying to do it more then once a day now. once I lean to give myself and therefor others I hope I can ignore the pain of not being at the singularity yet and see it as an opportunity.

I love the animated shorts you made, it feels like every piece is a graphic mantra with a story. I wish you luck on your road.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how do you access the images i cant seem to find them?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.