ChoW#228 :: Thalestris, Queen of the Amazons - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post
    Everybody is doing GRATE, keep it going.

I`d just like to pick your collective mind, folks - does this look "amazon" (with a Slavic twist) and "regal" enough to you? I`m kinda having second thoughts...:/
    Oh well, at least I killed a week`s worth of free time
    It's lovely, and well painted. It looks like you depicted your ginger sister in the cold and added a dish towel to her crotch to make it a bit strange.

So, your suspicions are correct if you think this doesn't look at all like an Amazonian queen. If that's your sister, though, give me her number.

Seriously.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonzulac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @ Bonzulac - Aaaaaw, really....? Even if I say it`s, like, Slavic inspired and all....*puppy eyes*

And just so you know, my sister is a happily married woman and currently too pregnant for her own good. Think...hormonal whale. God, I do love her, but that`s the truth! Still want that number?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PxelSlayer View Post
    @ Bonzulac - Aaaaaw, really....? Even if I say it`s, like, Slavic inspired and all....*puppy eyes*

And just so you know, my sister is a happily married woman and currently too pregnant for her own good. Think...hormonal whale. God, I do love her, but that`s the truth! Still want that number?
    "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters."

Yep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last WIP before bed.

Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eofn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey tempest-haze, was passing through and thought I could help a bit. Feel free to ignore me though

I like her a lot, the problem with the leg is that the pose is anatomically impossible. You have the shin bone going down the front of the leg, but the peak of the knee is to the side. They need to line up. If the leg is out to the side like that, then for the foot to be facing forward it needs to be pretty heavily twisted. The knee joint can't twist like that (only 5 degrees or so), so it mainly has to happen in the ankle, midfoot and forefoot

Actually, looking at it again, it may be that you do have the anatomy ok, but that highlight I was reading as the tibia is actually the ridge of the soleus muscle? If you soften that down a bit it may solve the problem by itself

Speaking more as an anatomist than an artist, but if you wanted I can try some paint overs tonight. Or just ignore me!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to soulmanz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone who disbelieves that this is not the least of the greatest designs is not in reverse the moron who never did none.

Anyway, WIP.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonzulac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic !!
    i have been wanting to make a chick mounting something since a while .. this looks like
    the perfect time.
    i think a Male Lion makes sence .. since they are kinda lazy... make them work is something an Amazon would do i guess...

anyway .. here are the wips .. hope this time finally finish one on time !!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to El_Khan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jager: I like all of them !! i would chose the middle one, thats a strong pose with a lot of precence.

dashinvaine: I like the expression on her face !

Parsakoira: She really is a badass amazon !!

Pixeltuner: I like that character design a lot already,
    looking forward to see how it ends.

PxelSlayer: Amazing !! she looks Beautiful and serious at the same time, great work.

Elixy: Great Design ! love the tattoos !

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to El_Khan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the suggestions and feedback everyone.
    Think am running with this one after all and saving the middle one for something else.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update. Head looked like medusa from a distance before O:

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~baxter: Not a problem. Just a friendly suggestion

soulmanz: Don't be silly. I'm not going to ignore someone trying to help me out

Yes, that is the soleus (if we're looking at the same thing that is haha, but I can see why you thought it was something different). I softened it a bit here. Should I also turn the foot maybe?

20. The Following User Says Thank You to l'Aria For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ah... everyone's entry is so awesome u.u" i'm waaay behind! still figuring/messing around with mine before i attempt to render anything further 3: probably the last update til deadline so feel free to crit things or make suggestions as i'm horrible at noticing some of my own mistakes xD sorry if i'm unable to provide feedback to your work

til then-- good luck to you all!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    On the way, i`m definitely finishing it to be squashed on sunday.

Name:  lastwip.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  88.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    teapo Looks promising , keep pushing it and think about the edges of your forms. They should be either soft, hard or lost.
    Also right now i think it is a little unclear what you have to the right in the picture. if itís part of the storytelling try to make it more readable. Or consider removing it to keep the composition clear.

El_Khan
    looking good, maybe you should turn the girls head even more so she looks in the same direction she is aiming. also think about from which direction the light is coming, top left maybe? the surfaces should have a light side and a dark side.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tempest -

i guess the way I see it you could do 2 things. by turning the foot, you could address the 'weirdness' of the leg shape,

but i think there is a better change. on a deeper look (i was at work before) im not sure the lower leg is the problem, but rather the thigh

this picture probably explains it best - the 2 femora do not meet at the same pelvis. The right thigh is heavily foreshortened, leading to a tucked, distant pelvis (in white), while the left femur is pretty much horizontal, leading to a flat, and far closer pelvis (in red)

i think this is where the disconnect is, if the left femur did angle back towards the tucked (white) pelvis, then the angle of the lower leg might also look fine, or at least not need too much adjustment!

it is a great picture, i love the latest version. I think that pose is one of the hardest to get right, you are doing a great job.

edit: sent you a pm

Last edited by soulmanz; January 14th, 2011 at 03:59 AM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to soulmanz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone is rockin' the goodness. I'm in progress on all this stuff.

Don't be frightened by the blue steel maniac in my ref pics. It was way more entertaining to use my own mug as facial ref and transgenderify into a woman than it is to search for a good stock shot... and it's free!

Keep on keepin' on people. Boom goes the dynamite!

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bnoch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am I the only one feeling steamrolled by others work?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thi sround is looking great!

Parsakoira: Looking awesome as always, love your flesh tones must pick your brain about those

Bnoch: Damn you're a talented fella, looked at your SB the other day and my eyes nearly fell out

Tempest-haze: looking good though that leg looks odd to me, almast looks like an arm with a foot at the end

Jager: love it! Wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of her. Though for me I prefer the composition before you flipped it

ReneOcho: The perspective looks too extreme to me almost fish eye lense. Makes her look dwark like

Teapo: I know it's not done yet but I feel you need to lift her from the background the door looks like it's on a plane infront of her

Artfix: Great light and pose but I think her facial featured are a little skew the eye closest looks a lot bigger and at a different level to the other

31. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Volj: I know what you mean there's always so much great work on here, it's easy to feel like that. But most peeps are more than willing to help and before you know it peeps will be looking at yours thinking WTF! How do you do that?!

I think you've got a pretty strong composition and with a bit more reference it will come on leaps and bounds

33. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    having a ridiculous week, feeling tired now, and I need to keep the momentum up if I'm going to finish, hopefully posting my attempt here helps Sorry my comments are probably a little late to be properly useful, but oh well:

ReneOchoNueve- Your ideas have taken you to a very original looking portrait. got a really lifelike texture too, I want to see colour =D

JanJager- I love your perspective handling.

Pxelslayer - Her attitude is Amazon even if the location/garb isn't necessarily there. I am seeing more celtic queen than anything though.

Vodus - her jaw is maybe excessively masculine, eyes and costume are great though

cz64- ouch! does that armour bend at the waist?

AndreRuben - great helmet idea in your first sketch, I guess you're literally setting her in the Amazon rainforest? keep going I like the gorillas.

Bonzulac - I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to have such an exaggerated bodyshape, gets the character over well to emphasise such things, she looks very tall and imposing. I like her superior expression

B.D.B - great hair, maybe have a specific palette in mind rather than mixing lots of bright colours in together, and use the colours you pick to create realistic skin tones.

Baxter - she is kickass and I like the tattoos. Hard to tell her gender, but then again, why shouldn't she be a little androgynous?

Cowboysurfer - Nice descriptive drawing there. Would be good to see more on it.

Volj - nope I assure you I'm right there with you but the main thing is to work to your own standard and keep learning =D My tips are quite late this week I know but her proportions are rather elongated, if you can think to measure them next time on a real figure or proportion drawing it will help. I like the boots and weapons a lot

Bnoch - The second one is fantastic but the first maybe a little scrawny for a warrior queen. Its still very well executed and an original idea though

Jager - Looove it, her forehead seems a bit peaky, but your execution is great.

Teapo - my anatomy expertise is short, but is her chest too high for that angle maybe?Its not clear what she's doing. Is she spreading her arms in welcome or doing Tai Chi? I really love the face, she looks full of personality.

Tempest-haze - Yeah I'd change the leg and the foot a little, maybe bringing the toes out more to the right but I do love the pose, the PS effect bg is a bit distracting but the composition will look awesome when further worked on!

Artfix - this is stunning, she is missing any Amazon references, but is kickass enough that it doesn't matter

El_Khan - I preferred #3 because there was more movement, and you could 'feel' the motion of going down the slope, it still looks good though, the colours are a bit muddy in places, but that can be fixed without too much effort with a few more strong midtones or something. look forward to seeing it done

Elixy - Brilliant costume design

Untouched24 - you have some great tones going on there, keep going

Parsakoira - Brilliant, she's very frightening.

Pixeltuner - Cool, but you cut off the wrong breast, maybe flip it? I doubt it really matters hehe.

Dashinvaine - I love this concept, for some reason it draws me in hehe and I feel like I am fighting. There's quite a lot of brown and grey in it, can you find any other exciting colours to use for midtones? I adore her helmet.

Verehin - nice but what is she gesturing at? What is she holding and who is the guy? Maybe I'm just too curious

tbaldree - Very Xena, beautiful face, somehow not quite sure of the random helmet spike, makes me think she's an elf with a pointy ear.

Mine's looking very piecemeal at the moment. She's supposed to be slipping in a pool of blood. Really I only like the upper body and arm section on its own, but this is a good challenge for me, bang goes the comfort zone, hehe :]

35. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ceinwen Fang For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be busy this weekend so im calling this done,
    thanks for all the usefull advices and critiques !!

i'll keep looking at the thread hopefully helping you guys !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I don't think I'll be finishing this ChoW off due to some other stuff which has come up for this weekend. But here is where I'm up to:

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Eofn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

Ok. Here is mine. I still have a lot to work on but I figure if I post it now I'll motive myself to finish on time... Hopefully...Maybe.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Many thanx larchist. Anatomy is still far from perfection, but I think I'm past point-of-no-return, with so little time left.

And so for today I've lost this battle to the software, buggin out and playing Prima-donna on me. BWUH?!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    El_Khan: I like the braids in the lions mane!.. cool idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by larchist View Post

Bonzulac - I don't think its necessarily a bad thing to have such an exaggerated bodyshape, gets the character over well to emphasise such things, she looks very tall and imposing. I like her superior expression
    Thanks! Uh... whuddaya mean, "exaggerated bodyshape?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a while, but I did a sketch.

Name:  daestwen_chow228_wip001.png
Views: 588
Size:  106.6 KB

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Parsakoira i like yours the most, nice mood!

here's my piece, there's still some render work to do

SKETCHBOOK

appreciate well-meant critique

46. The Following User Says Thank You to drunken_drinker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job everyone!
    Doing 2 versions atm as more cant hurt! Wich one should i go with? i prefer the second one's face and pose but im not really feeling the costume/colours yet.
    First one feels too world of warcrafty/elfish even though i tried hard not to haha. Need to study study study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A bit late and a bit rushed so far, but it's finally something to enter into Chow

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.