Sketchbook: Silent-samurai's sketchbook updated 10 October 2011

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Silent-samurai's sketchbook updated 10 October 2011

Sup people my name is David, 23, from London UK and I wanted to be an illustrator/concept artist. I've studied art for the past 5 years but now studying creative computing which is a mixture of graphic design, animation and some illustration (which that theres an access course of illustration I'll hopefully do next year)
    I've been kind of lurking this site probably around 08 or 09, but now it's the time to work on my sketchbook and just forget about deviantart cos it's just a place of popularity of nothing but fanboyism art stuff (not that I hate the site it's not it for me for some reason).
    I'll be posting work for some time within a week but if not then there will be some delay of not posting .
    Please give comments for how I can improve.

Have a look and take care

Artwork done back in 2007

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Silent-samurai87; October 10th, 2011 at 06:26 PM. Reason: changing pictures
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, sorry I couldn't get back to your messages sooner. The sketches you have posted aren't too big so don't worry about that.
    One thing though: When you're posting in a the sketchbook forum do NOT keep creating new threads for each sketchbook update. Create one thread and keep posting in that same thread. It helps keep all your stuff together in one place so people could see your progress without having to look everywhere in your archives.

Keep drawing!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dana_T For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dana_T cool Dana will do that if I can I'm still not used to the site yet lol. I got a lot more stuff to show but I have to use a scanner in my college to scan most of my work to show to the masses cos I hate taking photo's of my work. the lighting seems so off from I'm aiming to take a photo.

Thanks for the support

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start! :] One bit of advice to start with concerning hair - don't use thick, obvious lines to define the strands of hair when you're trying to achieve realism. It can work when you're doing it intentionally to gain a certain kind of style perhaps, but when you're trying to study from a photo or make it realistic, study how hair naturally looks from many many photos. Study how the hair falls around the head, especially in different cuts and styles, as well as how hair is usually drawn in segments and in varying shades.

With things like hair and fur, I've always found it really useful to find an artist and their work that you really admire, and look at how they construct their hair. Do they include a lot of detail, or is it mostly shapes and color? Is it ultra detailed or more stylized and simple like an Adam Hughes approach?

Here's a couple pictures just quickly gathered for a little reference. :]

http://www.allurehair.co.in/Hair%20illustration.JPG
    http://www.todayandtomorrow.net/wp-c...09/03/hair.jpg

Definitely keep going, draw as much as you can!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Myszt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Myszt Thank you I've been studying hair for quiet a while but I still need to get used to drawing the shapes and then add detail to make it pop. I've got some little hair magazines at a good small price and it will pay off if I like a particular style that looks wavey and stylish but otherwise I'm in need to draw like curls and stuff like that. I've seen the links you gave me and it really opened my eyes aswell as my thoughts on how an actual hair really flows like that.

Thank you so much for the assist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New sketches

Hey all it's been a while, almost forgot how to post works but I have been lurking around CA since I've been a member, Been working on my book cover project till the last minute but now its over. Anyways heres some new work and I'll hope to post more later on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More sketches

More sketches ya'll. Been charging my camera to take these pics.
    Hope you enjoy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New sketches

Hey all new batch coming in today or tonight depending where your seeing this lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree, a good start just keep on studying and draw as often as you can. Maybe one or two things I remember my live drawing teacher/tutor told me or us during studies:

a - if you struggle with your line or think your art doesn't look the way you want it, it could be helpful to try a new medium (maybe a brushpen or thick marker instead of a fineliner or to some extreme brush and ink). Or try a different size of paper; I vividly remember her thrusting a 50 by 70 cm at me when I asked for another A3 (that being a scary size back then).

b - don't be afraid to get your doodlebook out any place you go (quote : "Go out, and draw, draw, draw ... do something.)

At least it helped me to go further and try some new things and evolve artistically.

Have a look at my SketchbookThanks!

'Expect the Unexpect' - Tomy Ungerer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New sketches

@Jamtob2 Thanks for the advice man I appreciate it ^^.
    I know my lines tend to be a little wonky but the thing is is that I have not spend enough time sketching in my sketchbook cos I've got a crap load of coursework. Even though I'm learning some new ways of crosshatching with some faber castell pen which are friggin awesome lol.

Anyways new sketches: I've been looking at a Japanese model called Aki Hoshino (which I adore her body) DROOOL lool. I've got like a dozen of photo's of her but I will somehow draw a lot from her cos she's been doing a lot of cool poses that can help me shape up.

Here are a few pics on my A5 sketchbook featureing her and hope I'll do more of her this week.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy! glad to see you studying hogarth i'm still going through his dynamic figure book as well but it seems you're on the right path with all these studies! perhaps mixing up the subject matter a bit by introducing still lifes and such? :3

keep it up!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your studies are getting better and better - keep at it, and thanks so much for the comments on my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Somthing nice and new

Teapo Hey man thanks for the kind words mate I'm still am using it on and off but Burne is a great mastermind of anatomy

Lii-chan Thank ya Lii-chan for the kind words, You keep on truckin I'll keep checking on ya if I have a chance just keep posting

Hey all been a while since I've been posting, even though I got work done at college but now it's half term .
    I've been sketching on/off and it is kinda irritating after a while cos I got college work on my animation works to presentation (although the presentation is done so I'm still doing my animation at home).
    Other than that I've got a George Bridgman constructive anatomy book that I've brought from amazon UK and it's an brilliant book to learn from.
    So here the photo's

Stuff from the British museum

Some scribbles in learning lines and some crosshatching

Other work of figures from IFX Anatomy mag, big booty girls and Natalie Portman

Last edited by Silent-samurai87; April 11th, 2011 at 05:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New works for the day

MAN I FRIGGIN NEED A SCANNER...dont worry I'm not mad at ya, Just taking photo's alone can be a real pain . So here's a mixture of Bridgman studies and my own (crappy) art style. Plus I've noticed that my post's is a hot thread with new post but I have not been getting a lot of exposure, but I'm still hoping that my work can do the talking so please remember that I'm open to both crits and comments of my work so pleeeeease crit me whenever you can .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi ! How's it goin! I just saw your friend request and realise we're age buddies!
    Keep up the good work with your anatomy studies! Your latest post images are kinda washed out by the flash so perhaps you could crop it in photoshop and adjust the levels to make it clearer =)!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies here. It might be good if you single out body parts more just to get a firmer grasp along with doing full body studies. Also try to fill up those blank areas of the page. It may help you level up at controling space.
    Keep it up!

-Aliases-
    kasai
    MastadonX3
    leEsquisse

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New sketches

Nerferinn Hey there thanks for adding me I wish I do have photoshop but sadly it's too much money and I wish I could download it but unfortunetly my e-mail is still with adobe . I'll keep on studying with anatomy books but feel the need of life drawing.

caaraa Thank you

léJeanX3 Thanks Kas I will use all of my pages in my skecthbook count and be all filled page after page. I've been drawing at the train stations on and off recently but I feel that I need to go out more often to get a grasp of the figure.

Hey everyone (who ever reads and sees this) IT'S MY BIRTHDAY...since last weekend on June 4,Yeah I've turned 24 and I still feel like I'm 23 lol. Anyways sorry for not posting very often I've been busy like sort of a mad man trying to work on a brief animation project and it's still going good, I just need to work on the fight scene then it'll be finished at the end of the year. Plus my current tutor says that I should do animation which is it a great opinion but I really had my heart set out on illustration/conceptart but animation is really fun but it's too much for me so I prefer to draw still drawings lol.

Anyways I'm babling time to show what's been happening in the past few months or so.

I need a better camera or an all-in-one scanner, my camera REALLY sucks.
    Hope you see it good and enjoy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good choice, Deviant art is quite manga and fan art focused. By the way, what does befriending people on CA do?

On the other hand, really nice start. It's good that you learn from proper anatomy and drawing books.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Something new

Sarmati Yep I had to wait a while to learn stuff like anatomy but when I was doing my last years in art I couldn't get to life drawing classes it's simply because that the college has either no models or money to pay em (that's kinda why the UK is kinda broke with the recession right now). The befriending part is simply when you be friends with someone on CA then you get the message to say do you want to (in one word) befriend this person, that what I got the word from if you know what I mean lol.

Hey everyone I'm really in a busy mood, animation is kinda a breeze but still incomplete so I might do some animation test in the long run right before the end of term is over, which is next week >.<. On top of that my college sketchbook is almost half full so I need to write down my research of what I've looked at animation wise and I've shouldn't have completed it a while back cos of my animation is slooooowwww (wow now I know how legendary animators such as Disney and warner brothers feel).

Today (or any other day to around the world) I have been doing an influence meme that I got from Deviantart. Now I know I'm not apart of DA anymore but I wanted to show what I'm influenced throughout my life and they still are today. The meme maybe a bit to cramped cos I have a lot of influence/inspiration to what I've looked at and what not but I will do a part 2 probably next week.

Ok I'm really rambling (I need to stop typing) So here it is and hope we might have in common of what you see in my meme (oh gosh I'm rambling again lol)

Last edited by Silent-samurai87; June 23rd, 2011 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress and keep up studying!

My Sketchbook [ACTUALLY UPDATED!]

I have 800 posts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Skecth for a day

chuck18mp Thanks man I will...DEFINITELY

WARNING HUGE UPLOAD

Hey all here is a sketch for a day. I did a sketch from a painting of an Italian artist named pierre Auguste Renoir which I do not know the title of this painting I drew, but I just find his work really fantastic. I never got around to see him since I went to the National gallery a while back plus I think that he was one of my favorite painters in a long time since I've left my years in art and I didn't know bout him till now lol.

I'll probably look for more paintings to practice with.Silent-samurai's sketchbook updated 10 October 2011

Last edited by Silent-samurai87; June 25th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tattoo model (line art progress)

Hey all I know it's late but early to the otrher side of the world but I just wanna show you some snap shots of a drawing from a tattoo mag I got.

Hope it show's a decent size then the last post, also I will finish the sketch while the strike in London is going to commence even though there's no lessons but I needed to work my arse off till Friday lol.

Good night

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hitomi Kitamura sketch figures

Hey all I know it's late but did these figure drawings of the title.
    Goin to sleep so good night zzzzzzZZZZzzzzz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

new sketces (COMMENTS & CRITIQUES NEEDED)

Wasup ya'll summer break is still on and been drawing on and off this past week. I know that I haven't been getting any good comments lately but I know I needed to post more. So I will be drawing a LOT this summer, really need to go to some life drawing sessions around London so I can get better wherever I can.

Here are the works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick tip: when learning from books like bridgman, copy one of his drawings, and then put your hand over your drawing and draw it from imagination, I've learned that it is extremely important to do this. Just a small advice, hope it helps Keep up the hard work. Peace!

>>>Sketchbook<<<
    "First ask yourself: What is the worst that can happen? Then prepare to accept it. Then proceed to improve on the worst.”

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New sketches (sorry for the late post) :(

Ogihara HHmmm I will try and do that thanks for the tip

Hey all hope your well. I'm sooooo sorry that I haven't been posting over the month, it's been kinda hell for me cos basically been staying indoors (sometimes) with no fresh air to breath and this past week the UK has had a frightening time right now because of the riots that got out of hand and escalated throughout, if your living in the UK then you know what I'm talking about. But all and all it's calm now.

So what's happening with me? I've been drawing but only that, I've also did a few (traditional) paintings. Now mind you I've been rusty with traditional painting over a year now and it's really hard to get into grips to get better at it (if I'm really willing to paint traditionally has much as I can).

So there you go here are the stuff I did. Enjoy and tell me what you think.

The sketches

The paintings

Thanks
    Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not a bad attempt at the value on the sphere. Pretty good.

When putting a core shadow on a sphere, always remember that it's going to be the thickest at the point closest to you, and it will be darkest at the point closest to you... unless your eyes are the light source

So looking at that sphere, the core should have been a bit thicker and higher up around the center of the sphere (according to the light source).

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Got a new digital software (FINALLY!!!)

p sage Thank you, I really need to learn with shading cos my shading sucks, thats why I need to draw a lot of spheres lol.

Hey all I can't wait to tell you that I have a software to work with, on my laptop . But it's really hard to work with since I'm first using it digitally. So what do I have?... Sketchbook pro 2011. The software is good but it's really challenging. I've been trying to sketch it out like you can do in photoshop, but the thing is I don't know if I really need to learn my craft with it or change my bamboo to a newer tablet (I had the bamboo since 2010). But I'm so willing to use it even I've payed for it if it doesn't kill me lol.

So here are a few scribbles I did and please be gentle since this IS my first time digi-painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook pro sketch

Hey all been doing a value sketch this morning with sketchbook pro.

actual photo

actual sketch

Hope I don't get flagged using the photo lol. Tell me what you think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work getting your first one done, now do a second!

take a bit of extra time to compare colours, and ask questions like
    "is the colour i have put down darker or lighter than the object i am studying?"
    "is it more red of more blue?"
    "is it greyer or more saturated?" etc, etc.
    the same goes with drawing, is this point in line with that, is the higher than that.

with the value study on the last page it may help to put a value scale, from 1 to 10 or 1 to 5,
    next to or on the study to help make the comparison.

and of course keep working!

Princes of the Universe
    ~AdamSimons~~JustCallMeBruce!~~JamesSimons~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2