Sketchbook: Scribbles and Scrawls - critique welcome

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scribbles and Scrawls - critique welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scribbles and Scrawls - critique welcome

Oh, hey conceptart.org... long time no see.

So, before I start up another sketchbook, I wanted to confess something.

I already had a sketchbook here, began to participate in certain events and drew on a daily basis, and felt that I really improved and liked where my style was going.
    And then, it suddenly stopped. I just stopped drawing. That happened around July 2010, and didn't end until October 2010. And I still don't know the reason behind it. Maybe it was procrastination, maybe depression, maybe simple laziness. I cannot say for sure.

I am now trying to get back to it, but it has become harder and harder, and I loose more motivation as time goes by. Mostly because I am simply frustrated with my current education/situation, and that is reflected in my motivation/drive, but also because I have very little time and energy to practice and really get into art again. (Usually I'm in school from 8 am to 6 pm, and often I have to do stuff for school afterwards)

But I want to change that now... I want to really get back to daily practice, to setting myself goals and to LEARN, and RELEARN the things I seem to have forgotten. I may have a really bad time-schedule to work with now, but that should not hinder me from doing art, should it? Nor should my frustration or alarming tendency to procrastinate. I am the only one who is able to change that. So I just need to start.

So yeah... here I am again, conceptart.org.

Beginning a new sketchbook with an older, personal piece. Kinda ironic. But I still smile when I see it, so I thought it might be fitting.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Caboodle; May 19th, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, I will TRY to update here daily.
    Can be a bit tricky, because - as I said - I have quite a bad time-table to work with, but there's always at least a little bit time.

Didn't have much time to spare for art today, because of an impending math-test, but I managed to do a speedy painting.
    Buuut... my class did several portraits in acrylics today, for each we had a timeframe of 30 minutes. That was a whole lot of fun.

So, here are two referenced speedpaintings.

First one was yesterday, 15 minutes, second one today, 30 minutes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Came home pretty late, because I have a figure drawing class twice a month. We worked with acrylics today. Was a lot of fun, and I felt like I kinda improved in blocking out forms with colours, as we only had 30 minutes for a pose, I just focused on how the shadows and the light created different blocks and painted that. It was really interesting!

But as the size of the paintings is a bit difficult to scan, I'll give you guys a friendly spider-dude. 35 - 40 minutes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a bit on edge because I have a very important maths-test tomorrow. Couldn't really concentrate or be focused on drawing.

Didn't have much time anyway.

So just three simple figure studies from characterdesign.com, this set

Just wanted to break down the colours into simple forms, and see what effect it has.... I kinda like how it came out, and will try to do that more often.

Have a nice day, and wish me luck for the test!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Math-test finally over and done! Oh god, I have had that on my mind for the last month... that's a huge weight of my chest.

So... here's something cheerful(?) for you.

40 minutes. Partly referenced

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This week was nuts... I am SO tired! But at least the weekend is here, so that's something to look forward to, right?

I wanted to do more, but at one point you just cannot muster your energy anymore, and I cannot really concentrate today. So, only two 15 min studies from characterdesign.com.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, new day, new update.

First a one hour screencap-study. Kinda messed up the hair. But whatever!

Second one is a pile of faces I did with charcoal... I think I have to use less strokes, and don't need to draw the whole outline of head/nose/eyes etc., and keep the pencil-strokes minimal.. we'll see how that works out.

Now going to work with Bammes' human anatomy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was invited to relatives today, so I couldn't do much.

I did manage to wrap up something for the daily sketch group, though. Topic was "interpretation of a skull" About 1 hour.

On a sidenote: Bullfighting is a horrid practice...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Time for some anatomy-studies!

I got the big book on human anatomy by Gottfried Bammes for christmas, and slowly work myself through the chapters.
    In the moment I am at the chapter of static, balance, balance point etc. More specifically "support leg/free leg" and how it changes the balance point and whole stature.

So here are some studies I did today.
    First row is drawn from the book, second row first two are my own poses, next two are referenced from sculptures.
    And then are some notes on the bottom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today was a more productive day... as I kinda drew a lot instead of learning *coughcough*

Also I got a new sketchbook for "outdoors" (school, lifedrawing etc.) and luckily it was warm enough today to sit outside and scribble some people. Oh how I have missed that during the winter...

So the first is some stuff I drew in school. (upper three are my teacher and two classmates, the other two are inspirated by a very, very old movie-adaption of "Das Nibelungenlied" we watched in German. It was so funny...
    Second one are people I drew on the street. (And I tried to use very few lines to capture just the most essential)
    Third one are some nude studies from characterdesign.com, and I kinda wanted to see what I can do with the outlines. I like how it turned out
    Fourth one are just ink-blurbs. I have four ink-colours and no clue how to use them. - Haha!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have two tests coming up so I don't have much time for anything except learning and sleeping.

So I'll just leave something silly here because I needed something silly today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sehr guter start in ein neues sb! mir gefallen am besten die 2 speedpaintings und die schul/straßen skizzen.
    bin schon auf die nächsten bilder gespannt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, ein Österreicher! Kaum zu glauben.

Vielen Dank für den netten Kommentar! Freut mich wirklich, dass dir meine... fragwürdigen Experimente soweit gefallen. Hoffentlich bringt's was, haha!

(Ich werde auch gerne mal in deinem Skizzenbuch kommentieren, sobald meine Prüfungen endlich überstanden sind!)

So, but now back to art.

Managed to cut off some time to do some studies in a café. it was a lot of fun... and I finally feel like being creative again. The ideas are coming slowly but they are coming.
    I've missed that feeling.

So here are the studies. I personally like the man in the left upper corner the most. I like where my linework is going.
    I still struggle a lot with frontal portaits... I always slip back into an "old more scribbely" style when doing them... so I have to practice it!
    I also have some cool colours and rarely use them... I'll try to implement them more often in my sketches.

Then there are some studies from Gottfried Bammes' bible of anatomy. I am currently at the chapter of statics and dynamics / balance of the human body, and I am a bit confused right now.
    Bammes' isn't exactly forthcoming with all the balance-points explanations. I'll have to re-read some parts and redo a lot of studies. But it's all trial and error anyway...

Oh yeah. And a frontal portrait. 15 minutes. Because I need to practice it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... und ein weiterer österreicher kommentiert dein sketchbook - heute muss dein glückstag sein
    mir gefallen deine skizzen, die du statt dem lernen gemacht hast sehr gut! es scheint als hättest du ein gutes gefühl für proportionen! wirklich nicht schlecht, weiter so

grüße aus wien =)

[mäscheti is watching you]

if you wanna watch mäscheti, klick
    here (100 faces of mäscheti)

and here (butcher characters)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate! I'm in a similar boat as you, except I stopped for 2 years :/ I'll be following your progress - I like your street studies in post #10, very confident lines

Last edited by rass; January 20th, 2011 at 05:14 PM. Reason: forgot to subscribe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mäscheti: Oh mein Gott! Wir rotten uns zusammen!
    Nein, Spaß beiseite - Freut mich sehr, hier auch den ein oder anderen Landsmann zu sehen. Und vielen Dank für den Kommentar!

@rass: Oh my.. it's quite frightening how fast something like this can happen, isn't it? I hope you get back into drawing as well.
    And thank you very much, also for subscribing! I really hope there will be a noteworthy progress, though. Haha!

Okay... I have to admit I watched a bit more "Samurai Champloo" than doing art. But I haven't watched it in ages and I love the show to pieces, so... yeah. Needed my "great style/animations/characterdesign/fights/music" - kick for this week, I guess.

But I did some quick studies on frontal portraits, all referenced, as I said I have to practice them. I find them much harder to get down than sideviews... probably because a frontal portrait cannot not be as easily broken down in a few lines then a profile.... That will be my next step.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @All that jazz: Haha, yeah, I kinda like drawing weird hybrids with human features. I even once painted a whole picture of fish wearing hats! I'm weird, I guess.
    Thanks for stopping by!

Sorry for not updating yesterday, but I was in Vienna all day, because of the Open House of the university of art, and came home about 9 pm and fell right into bed. I was too tired to do anything art-related.

Anyway... back to the art. I still have three years ahead of me before I even need to think seriously about an university.

I did some compositionstudies, from screenshots and animations by gobelins.
    BTW. You guys should seriously check out their stuff, their animations are simply gorgeous! Like Monstera Deliciosa or "After the rain" or "Burning Safari"
    They have a lot, LOT more shorts, so if you find some time, you really should browse through their work, it is amazing!

Anyway, here are the composition-sketches and two of my own, each 15 minutes.
    And a speedpainting of 50 minutes with coloured pencils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today my class went to the university of medical science, or more precisely to the anatomy-wing and we got a little insight into the human anatomy.
    It was great! The professor who was kind enough to give us a tour showed us quite a lot of interesting preparations, including one of a leg, with actual joints, muscles, and sinews and one of an arm, on which he showed us how different muscles/sinews are connected to each other, by pulling certain musclestrings to move fingers, for example. It was very interesting.

Plus I asked if it was possible to come up here and draw the preparations they exhibited in their little "museum", and he went so far to say that it would even be possible to arrange a little setup for a small group of interested artists and use actual preparations in one of their dissection-rooms. Of course it comes with a lot of restrictions, but its a great opportunity and I certainly will keep it in mind! Whenever do you get the chance to draw actual real human preparations again?

Anyway... I am very tired, my eyes are burning and my head is spinning, so I am sorry I couldn't do more.
    So here's something silly again.
    I guess they are not as cool as dragons or mounted bears, but get the job done...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some Bammes-studies again. I'm very tired. Long day.

By the way, if anybody knows something about balance-points etc. please feel free to simply correct me. I appreciate all the help, especially because Bammes is not exactly very open with his informations in this chapter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont know anything about this balance thing but the studies are looking good. i really like this door explosion composition from #18. its very dramatic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Daflom: Thanks anyway. I'll probably go and post some of those balance-point studies up in the fine-arts section or critique center. Here in the sketchbooks a question like this gets lost pretty fast.
    Thanks a lot for the comment!

Today I only got some posemaniacs.com - studies. Had to wrap up some things for school. Can't wait for the weekend. SO TIRED.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its good to see you got back into it . Your practices are better then mine and I'm sure if your going to school its better then mine as well. It doesnt really matter who teaches you cause it all comes down to how creative and how persistent you are to carry on your own thoughts and to make people understand your work. Trust me i know i go to a college where people ask what I'm majoring in and i tell them art and they laugh at me and give that sarcastic bullshit 'good luck'. But i don't care i love to draw and i like how people react to it. If your feeling a little confused or a little self doubted tell your self this. Even professional artist struggled at some point or another in there lives because with out struggle you cant have perfection.

I WANT TO SEE MORE >.<

Why dream when I can do that with a pencil!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to vengfuldead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @vengfuldead: Thank you very much for this very inspiring post. You are very right, in the end the things that matter are you and your art, and everything else comes second. I really try to keep that in mind whenever I put down the pencil...
    I am sorry you have to experience such (ignorant) reactions, but as you said it: Best you ignore it and just continue to do what you love. Taking such things to your heart just weights you down, and that would be a real shame!

Today I only post up work from imagination, drawn without any source of reference.... and I am happy to say that I see a lot of improvement since I've last done that. It's only been two weeks of drawing everyday, and I already see some progress.
    I've missed that, and I will continue to keep this up, because it is really satisfying to finally see some real progress and development.

First one is something like a portrait. 20 min.
    Second one is a personal character of mine, I just wanted to draw the human figure and see how much of the proportions I got right. 20 min.
    Third one is only partly referenced because I wanted to get the facial structure right. It's a 15 minutes portrait of the character Jack of Mass Effect2. I really love her design, and character for that matter. Sorry for the fanart, but I am quite happy with it, so I thought I might as well share it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice start keep practising im sure ull be awesome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @inspectorsokar: Hey, thanks a lot! I will do that. Let's see where that gets me... Haha!

Didn't do much today because I am feeling a bit sick, and cannot concentrate for long without getting a headache and feeling sick to the stomach. Argh.. stupid stress-related symptoms.

So here's a 40 min study of a screenshot from "28 weeks later". - Yay for zombies!
    I know I messed it up, but as I said... can't really concentrate, and I don't feel so well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still not feeling too well.

So I'm just posting some studies of sitting poses. Next chapter of Bammes' is about motion - WOOT!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feeling better today. I couldn't do much, because most of my time was eaten up by schoolprojects. (A booklet in Indesign with all the stuff we've learned this semester. YAY - that's exactly what I want to do all day long! *sarcasm*)

But the good news is that my mom was feeling very generous for my birthday tomorrow, and I got three artbooks.
    One on Colour/Light, one on composition and one on dynamic figure drawing. (Love you very much Bammes, but I need different sources!)

Already started with the book on composition, but seriously... I won't upload stuff about that just yet. Not very interesting and ruined with my own notes.
    So I''ll just give you a bunch of screenshot-studies.
    First three are with copicmarkers, black and medium grey, each about 5 minutes.
    Second one is a 30min screenshot study in which I tried to get the black/white values down without changing the original into b/w.

Hopefully - after all the schoolstress is finally over - I can post some more original stuff than simple, very short studies. (And comment on some sketchbooks I've been following. Sorry to everyone because I haven't commented yet!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh hey, today's my birthday! WOOT!

But nevertheless, I'm feeling pretty unimaginative and tired.
    Stresslevel, please go doooowwwn....

So here's a simple WIP of a kid with a strange animal. The idea behind it is that both have a tatoo on their forehead and one is mind-controlling the other.
    I now only want to get both down somehow, and then - maybe - I come back again and do a real picture with them.

I also did some composition-studies with my new book, but as I said - They are not interesting...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still not much time for anything.

First one is for school, our assignment was to create any kind of symbol, make a pattern out of it, then wrap something with this pattern and then to put the pattern onto something (graffiti, tattoo, whatever)
    And I wrapped some Mac-icons in my pattern, and tattooed it some poor guy on his forehead. Haha!

Next two are "loosen up" - sketches.
    The first one is all about "blind contour drawing", where you leave your eyes on the model most or all of the time you spend drawing it. - Much fun!
    Second one is kinda a mix of blind drawing and just using one line, or very few lines to portray the model.

BTW, if you search for a substitute for posemaniacs.com I can recommend THIS SITE HERE. It offers the "30 sec drawing" with real models, clothed and nude as well as animals. It's pretty neat!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.