Thanks

Andrew Loomis books

Hi I'm wondering in which order is a good idea to study his books.

I got; Creative Illustration, Drawing the Head and Hands, Eye of the painter, Successful Drawing and Figure drawing for all it's worth.

I want to go through every book step by step and learn as much as i can from them.

thx

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,593 Times in 1,617 Posts
    You don't have to do it step by step, you can take things from all of them, return to them later on for further consultation, what have you. You're guaranteed to not "get" it all the first or second or the third time!

Loomis' two essential books are Figure Drawing and Creative Illustration, the rest are introductory courses and supplements. Read these two if you don't plan to read them all.

The five can be read in any order or out of order, but Loomis had different reader's skill levels in mind in different books. The order is more or less like this, beginner to advanced:

Fun with the Pencil / Successful Drawing - the basics of structural drawing; the former more informal with a focus on cartooning, the latter more technical with a focus on perspective.

Figure Drawing for All It's Worth - what it says, also a lot of general drawing topics. Overlaps with SD somewhat. You'll need a good visual anatomy atlas or several to complement it. You can begin with this one and skip FWaP / SD, using SD for more in-depth perspective and structure tips.

Drawing Head and Hands - can be considered an advanced supplement to FDAIW, with a focus on, well, head and hands.

Creative Illustration - the Big Book, deals with everything about making an impact with representational art. Covers composition, expression, line, tone, color, etc., lots of technical issues. Somewhat dated where it concerns illustration industry and business, but very good otherwise. I think it's the sum of Loomis' experience as picture maker.

Eye of the Painter is the ugly duckling of the bunch, it's more of a philosophy of art. More or less the "why" of what Loomis did, rather than the "how" in the other four. Optional reading.

Mind that Loomis' "beginner" level can be already pretty advanced, so even his beginner texts are worth returning to.

4. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    thanks a million for your answer, very helpful