Developing style
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Developing style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Developing style

Hey guys, new alias but I am a long time lurker as many of us are

I was wondering about style development and how I would go about it.

any tips in general for the richest ways of growing is by all means very welcome.

Last edited by monsterz; January 9th, 2011 at 02:24 AM. Reason: slightly embarrassing fan boy
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Style is a build up of experience. Keep studying art and through your experiences you will develop one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your style is already there ... you're just not developed enough as an artist to see it.

It's funny when you look back at drawings from 10 years ago. It's always an "it's me" in the there, no matter how crude it looks.

Unless you don't try to be a copycat you will see it somewhere in time.

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto about style being the result of experience. Don't worry about developing a "style" so early on. Work on learning how to draw and figure out things, and style will develop over time because it's a reflection of how you draw. In fact, check out this post by Bobby Chiu about developing a style: http://news.deviantart.com/article/137702/

Don't think what kind of style do people want. Just be yourself & search for knowledge. Style is developed through knowledge.
    And to quote Gurney from an interview gave http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...nterview.html:
    Contrary to many modern art schools you do not promote to go for an individual/ďpersonalď style. Can you explain why?

Youíre right. I think itís a mistake to dwell on developing a personal style, especially for a student, because sometimes the style gets in the way of really seeing. Also, any style eventually becomes tired and stale, but truth to nature is timeless. In my view, students especially, but also working professionals, should keep studying the world around them with close observation. Itís natural and good for young artists to model their pictures after those of other artists as a path to mastery. But I prefer my heroes to be dead, and Iíve always tried to study many different ones, not just one.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Asatira For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah - don't worry about style...it comes whether you want it or not. The last thing you want to do is emulate/copy someone else's style...that is their truth and expression....to adopt it as your own means you never express or find your own voice and you can only be second or less to them. This is not something that only beginning artists do by the way...it is a real pitfall for all of us.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys, I think I get the idea heh you are both pushing me more towards developing my own style rather than replicating something else. I just find it so appealing. It's what I aim for when I create, once I found it, it just resonated. Maybe I will be fortunate enough to have it within my personal style naturally.

I will probably be opening my own sketchbook in a few days so maybe you can offer some crits then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Style is also your perception. How you see things translates onto paper as style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for all the comments I think Jeff nailed it "you can only be second or less to them. This is not something that only beginning artists do by the way...it is a real pitfall for all of us."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to monsterz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Yeah - don't worry about style...it comes whether you want it or not. The last thing you want to do is emulate/copy someone else's style...that is their truth and expression....to adopt it as your own means you never express or find your own voice and you can only be second or less to them. This is not something that only beginning artists do by the way...it is a real pitfall for all of us.
    I would make a distinction between studying someone's style, learning why they they do things the way they do vs outright trying to copy their style.
    But even trying to copy someone's work/style exactly can be a good way to learn, provided that you stop at some point. Switch it up and try emulating a different artist.

Other artists are a part of the world real world as well and it's not wrong to be influenced by them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a quote from Neil Gaiman that I've always found to be true. The ones in bold are my emphasis:

We are creators. When we begin, separately or together, there’s a blank piece of paper. When we are done, we are giving people dreams and magic and journeys into minds and lives that they have never lived. And we must not forget that.

I don’t want to sound like an inspirational speaker here. "Be you." "Be the best you that you can be." But this is really important. It’s something that we mostly lose track of when we start, because when we start in comics we’re kids and we have no idea who we are or what our voices are, as artists or as writers.

Young artists want to be Rob Leifeld, or Bernie Wrightson, or Frank Miller, just as young writers want to be Alan Moore, or Chris Claremont or, well, Frank Miller. You’ve seen their portfolios. You’ve read the scripts.

We all swipe when we start. We trace, we copy, we emulate. But the most important thing is to get to the place where you’re telling your own stories, painting your own pictures, doing the stuff that no-one else could have done but you. Dave McKean, when he was much younger, as a recent art-school graduate, took his portfolio to New York, and showed it to the head of an advertising agency. The guy looked at one of Dave’s paintings—"That’s a really good Bob Peake," he said. "But why would I want to hire you? If I have something I want done like that, I phone Bob Peake."

You may be able to draw kind of like Rob Leifeld, but the day may come, may have already come, when no-one wants a bargain basement Rob Leifeld clone any more. Learn to draw like you. And as a writer, or as a storyteller, try to tell the stories that only you can tell. Try to tell the stories that you cannot help but tell, the stories you would be telling yourself if you had no audience to listen. The ones that reveal a little too much about you to the world. It’s the point I think of in writing as walking naked down the street: it has nothing to do with style, or with genre, it has to do with honesty. Honesty to yourself and to whatever you’re doing.

Don’t worry about trying to develop a style. Style is what you can’t help doing. If you write enough, if you draw enough, you’ll have a style whether you want it or not. Don’t worry about whether you’re "commercial". Tell your own stories, draw your own pictures. Let other people follow you.

If you believe in it, do it. If there’s a comic or a project you’ve always wanted to do, go out there and give it a try. If you fail, you’ll have given it a shot. If you succeed, then you succeeded with what you wanted to do.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jie Kageshinzo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by That fat kid View Post

Edit: As a matter of discussion, I think we need to define the terms. Do you mean style in terms of the 'voice' a drawing has? Like how you can tell one person's handwriting from another's? Or do you mean making cartoons versus realism, stuff of that nature? I hate when two different discussions are happening.
    yes similar to handwriting, and line quality. generally distinct and "stylized"

all of the comments are so helpful, thanks for being my push

ps this thread really made me second look myself, im willing to bet the information in here could really benefit others like myself

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jie Kageshinzo View Post
    Here's a quote from Neil Gaiman that I've always found to be true.
    Neil, as always, is wise.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Niel Gaiman's blog is where I go whenever I need a dose of sanity...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Misplacedhippos View Post
    I would make a distinction between studying someone's style, learning why they they do things the way they do vs outright trying to copy their style.
    But even trying to copy someone's work/style exactly can be a good way to learn, provided that you stop at some point. Switch it up and try emulating a different artist.

Other artists are a part of the world real world as well and it's not wrong to be influenced by them.
    I would make the same distinction. Of course we are all inspired, influenced and attracted to certain artist's styles, but I think you are hindering your own development by copying someone else. This does not apply to doing Master copies of course - that is a different thing entirely.

Basically this thread was timely and I was really only echoing what Iain McCaig had said in his blog chat the other day...pretty similar to what Neil had to say about the subject.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea i spent too many hours trying desperately to find "style", which resulted in the biggest crap i ever produced

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.