travelling while freelancing---
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: travelling while freelancing---

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

travelling while freelancing---

I've recently been very curious about this. I have no experience in this industry, but on the freelance side I'd always assumed you can work anywhere as long as you have a laptop and a good internet connection.

So I was wondering, is there anyone here who have tried travelling for long periods of time while still freelancing? Were there any problems in terms of visa's, firewall/technology issues, keeping up with industry standards, maintaining steady work, etc?

To fund a traveling-the-world trip using freelancing while traveling, is a very romantic idea, but I wanted to see this more realistically. The feasibility of it, and how it worked out logistically (if at all)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Err isn't traveling super expensive? Could you afford that with a starting free lance budget?

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep moving to cheap places where the rent balances out the cost of moving........my guess. Taiwan, Parts of Costa Rica, South America has many places I hear.....but remember the further away from a city you are the cheaper it will be. That being said, finding a decent cheap place with fast internet could be difficult. But how often do you need your internet to be highspeed? you can do regular email and whatnot from a world cellphone service I imagine and then go into town to send large files if thats an issue. There are a lot of things to consider just do your research and plan out a year and see if it is possible. I think your biggest issue would be the amounts of time you are out of a service because you are moving. With proper planning you can do anything.

My Website I am available for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    Err isn't traveling super expensive? Could you afford that with a starting free lance budget?
    It doesn't have to be. It's dependent on how you travel.

I really like this book http://www.vagabonding.net/excerpt/
    I haven't done much world travel except as a kid, but In the future want to be able to travel/live while selling art/freelancing.
    I have traveled across Canada hitchhiking part of the way, which makes things a lot cheaper. Haha, hitchhiking isn't that much fun for me, especially in winter.

But basically you can be creative with how you travel and work. It seems like a great goal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Misplacedhippos View Post
    It doesn't have to be. It's dependent on how you travel.

I really like this book http://www.vagabonding.net/excerpt/
    I haven't done much world travel except as a kid, but In the future want to be able to travel/live while selling art/freelancing.
    I have traveled across Canada hitchhiking part of the way, which makes things a lot cheaper. Haha, hitchhiking isn't that much fun for me, especially in winter.

But basically you can be creative with how you travel and work. It seems like a great goal.
    I think that sounds a little unrealistic. Unless you mean you want to travel after you've made money working as an artist.
    I travel quite a bit (about once a month for a week or two at a time) to do shows or for lectures or workshops that I give and even with all the technology now, it is hard to work on the road. To do your job you will need access to reference and communicate with clients. Working with 3d sometimes, I can tell you it is a pain to use a program like max on a laptop with a 17 inch screen. THe cheaper you travel the harder it is to have access to highspeed internet and printers and all the stuff you need. And your clients will only put up with the delays for so long and then you will lose them. Maybe if you are as talented as Randis or Android you could pull it off, but most of us mortals have to work harder than that for a living.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I'm thinking of long term travel as staying in the same location for at least a few months at a time and then moving on.

I agree that working while actually traveling(as in moving locations) would be pretty difficult. But again, depends on the person, how they work, living costs, expectations, etc.

Members who have read this thread: 1