Sketchbook: Icarus_'s Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icarus_'s Sketchbook

LAST PAGE GOT DAT NEW NEW. Get it girl.

Woo! Finally joined up here. Eager to start posting stuff. Oh, and as mentioned in the title, critiques are absolutely welcome. By all means- rip my shit apart. I need a lot of practice as it is.

Name:  collage2-small.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  208.0 KB
    Name:  collage-small.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  430.9 KB
    Name:  girl-small.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  209.4 KB
    Name:  progress small.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  186.7 KB

Last edited by Icarus_; April 12th, 2012 at 01:46 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus, it's been a grip.
    Name:  corgifly.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  189.6 KB

Name:  tentacles.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  319.0 KB

Name:  gesture2.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  198.6 KB

Name:  sp2.jpg
Views: 648
Size:  250.7 KB
    Just a note- this is a self portrait I did in life drawing. The real version is almost four feet tall. Yikes.

And as before, comments/critique absolutely welcome.

Last edited by Icarus_; June 21st, 2011 at 01:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't have a whole lot of stuff to show at this point- figured I'd post a portrait study I've been working on.
    Name:  portrait blockin.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  78.2 KB

I always get frustrated at this point of the process... not entirely sure why. Ah well. More practice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  apocolypse now.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  105.8 KB

Quick figure study from a move still. I half heartedly adding in the values, which is why it looks jumbled and confusing. I've decided I'm gonna do a 100 of these. I really want to get better at drawing people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff here. I like the simplicity of everything. What is your aim? Are you going for more detailed stuff like realistic images, or rough, stylized paintings?

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bish0p2004 View Post
    Great stuff here. I like the simplicity of everything. What is your aim? Are you going for more detailed stuff like realistic images, or rough, stylized paintings?
    Thanks! As for my aim, I'm not entirely sure yet. My goal right now is to move toward more concept related stuff, but whether that means more tightly rendered or stylized images I'm not sure. I'm just trying to get into the habit of doing a lot of studies from photos/life before I delve into stuff from my imagination, because honestly, I can't draw people, landscapes, etc. from memory for shit. It also doesn't help that I just started delving into digital stuff a few months ago, lol.

Again though, thanks for the comments! I was afraid I'd never get any feedback, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Embarrassed at how bad this turned out. I spent way too long on it, got wrapped up in details that didn't matter and got generally fed up with it. I swear to god I touch a tablet and I can't do basic linework to save my life. All my lines get squiggly and hairy.
    Name:  fuck it.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  143.5 KB

Probably just an off day.

Last edited by Icarus_; June 24th, 2011 at 10:32 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to draw a figure in perspective without a reference. My hands wrought terrible, terrible things, so I somehow turned it into this.

Name:  robot small.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  173.9 KB

It's edgy and hipster, lol. I wish I could contribute some sort of legitimate study today, but I've got work till midnight. Peace.

My sketchbook! Looking for mad critiques, yo. =P
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...24#post3166624

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  5 crop copy.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  204.9 KB

Another photo study. Again, spent way too much time on this, but in my defense, I started it out all wrong by thinking too much and not having any fun. I switched to my normal gestural/messy look and things began to work out. Not at all perfect by any means, but progress nonetheless.

Some of the things I've decided I want to focus on...

-Line control
    -Line weight
    -Conveying form with stroke direction
    -Improve knowledge of the human form
    -Improve sketching speed, from block in to finished product

Comments/critiques absolutely welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  horse study copy.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  164.2 KB

Been working on a horse study. Still really rough, but I plan on really refining this one as far as I can go. I'm sick of my paintings never leaving the block in stage. I just need to sort out the color and brush stroke issues.

Critique as always, is welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made a bunch of progress today. I've decided my goal with this is to just render the hell out of it- not so much because I like that look, but because I feel I need the technical practice. I need to be able to render things that look smooth and nice.

I plan on putting a few more hours into this tomorrow and calling it good. There's a lot of stuff I need to touch up/change, but I feel it's lookin pretty solid so far.
    Name:  horse progress 2.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  179.8 KB

Really looking for comments and critiques on this one- begging rather.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That horse study is MIND BLOWING. Like the composition is nice and the gradient is right and the creamy smooth progression of the form into shadow and just ugh. I want to be able to do stuff like that ;.; I also ADORE the uniformed portrait you posted earlier. Really wonderful stuff! I'm not much for giving crit (I suck at it). But I'd love to see more of your figure studies!

Quote Originally Posted by NickyBeats View Post
    keep being crazy! its inspiring

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HomicidalManda View Post
    That horse study is MIND BLOWING. Like the composition is nice and the gradient is right and the creamy smooth progression of the form into shadow and just ugh. I want to be able to do stuff like that ;.; I also ADORE the uniformed portrait you posted earlier. Really wonderful stuff! I'm not much for giving crit (I suck at it). But I'd love to see more of your figure studies!
    Thanks! After I finish this horse study up I'll resume doing figure studies. I need so much practice, and my knowledge of anatomy is, well, lacking. I think that at this point I'm becoming a good copyist and that's it. I don't think I'm fully grasping the actual 'forms' I'm rendering. Ah well- more drawing. But again, for the compliments! I'm definitely gonna be a keeping an eye on your sketchbook thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hell yeah man, you've got a lot of great stuff going on in here. this horse is looking real nice, and i love the life in this:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1308632846

and this dude is just plain fucking cool as hell:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...4&d=1294433209

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtSyndicate View Post
    hell yeah man, you've got a lot of great stuff going on in here. this horse is looking real nice, and i love the life in this:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1308632846

and this dude is just plain fucking cool as hell:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...4&d=1294433209
    Thanks man. I know I haven't posted a whole lot, but is there anything in particular that sticks out in my pieces that needs work?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still not pleased with this, but hey, improvement is improvement. I feel like there's something childish about the rendering... like I tried too hard or something, lol. I think it's actually the dirty values on his flank/face everywhere. Eh, might polish this later, but as for right now, I'm content leaving it be =P.
    Name:  horse final.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  184.1 KB

And some proof that I'm not just bumping my thread with the same goddamn image, here's an awful, rough block in for my next figure study. Gonna render this one out as well- I've never actually painted a person before (finished painting, rather).
    Name:  terrible things.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  95.6 KB

Also, if anyone is curious- I paint mostly on one layer. Anyone else out there do that? I'm wondering if that'll really hinder me in the long run...

Last edited by Icarus_; September 9th, 2011 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, great start. I really like your photo studies and illustrations, good sense of humor and your work is quite varied and textured in general.

When I do digital stuff I also tend to stick to one layer, mostly because I work in Sai and the colours don't blend between layers, but also because i'm used to working traditionally.

I'd say work on your digital line work, try to use your whole arm rather than just your wrist to give a more fluid look to your lines. It will take a lot of practice, just keep going, do some master copies that focus on lines, life drawings etc.

Keep drawing figures and portraits, try to go to life drawing classes if you can, or get a small sketch pad, go to a public place, and just start sketching quick gesture drawings of people- cafes are great for this. Self portraits are a good way to practice drawing people too.

I hope this helps, I really like your stuff and I hope you keep posting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunin View Post
    Hey, great start. I really like your photo studies and illustrations, good sense of humor and your work is quite varied and textured in general.

When I do digital stuff I also tend to stick to one layer, mostly because I work in Sai and the colours don't blend between layers, but also because i'm used to working traditionally.

I'd say work on your digital line work, try to use your whole arm rather than just your wrist to give a more fluid look to your lines. It will take a lot of practice, just keep going, do some master copies that focus on lines, life drawings etc.

Keep drawing figures and portraits, try to go to life drawing classes if you can, or get a small sketch pad, go to a public place, and just start sketching quick gesture drawings of people- cafes are great for this. Self portraits are a good way to practice drawing people too.

I hope this helps, I really like your stuff and I hope you keep posting.
    Thanks for the advice! I will definitely keep that in mind. And thanks for the compliments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ever so slowly ruining this poor, poor woman. Skin is a real bitch to paint. Could I possibly get some input/tips on this? Below is my abomination, and below that is that actual reference.
    Name:  oh god.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  140.4 KB

Name:  7r.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  178.9 KB

I have the feeling I'm already pulling in way too tight. But I can't seem to get the goddamn skin tone/value right anywhere.

Edit- looking at it now I should probably get the goddamn background the correct color. That's probably throwing everything off. It's way too warm right now.

SHE LOOKS LIKE A MAN. WHAT HAVE MY AWFUL HANDS WROUGHT?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I've been on vacation the past week in Florida, and while here my family took me down to the Ringling College of Art and Design. After talking with a counselor and having them look at my work, they basically told me that if I applied, there would be a very good chance I could get it. This is both incredibly exciting and distressing. Exciting because I would have the opportunity to study under some great, great artists and learn an absolute fuck-ton, distressing because I would be dropping approximately $41,000 per year, and would be over a thousand miles from family and friends. Just thought I'd let you all know... updates might be a little slower as I mull this over. If anyone has any words of wisdom/support, I'd love to hear em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that would be a great move in your life Icarus !
    you would gain experience in life by living far form family and you will also learn drawing and painting from professionals. You'll get valuables contacts with people in the field.
    if i was you, i would go straight forward ,you've got talent (from the few posts i've seen)

It would be great if you share your days with us, you would have some fans supporting u .

your last woman is going pretty well, keep working in it and do bigger broader strokes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  building concept copy.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  185.8 KB
    First real stab at any sort of concept. I know it's painfully simple, but I figured I'd slowly add to it as I go.

that would be a great move in your life Icarus !
    you would gain experience in life by living far form family and you will also learn drawing and painting from professionals. You'll get valuables contacts with people in the field.
    if i was you, i would go straight forward ,you've got talent (from the few posts i've seen)

It would be great if you share your days with us, you would have some fans supporting u .

your last woman is going pretty well, keep working in it and do bigger broader strokes.
    And thank you for the encouragement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  architecture copy.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  81.9 KB
    Forgive me for forever uploading works in progress... it's summer and my attention span is all but present.

Architectural concept. Plan on greatly refining this. Dark side needs more contrast, extruded forms are all sorts'a silly, and no goddamn windows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  concepts small.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  47.3 KB

Some quick weapon-silhouette concepts. This is my first attempt at something like this and I think there are some neat things happening, but most of them feel way too "District 9" like to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn it's been a while. Anyway, I recently got involved with a group of guys who are making a game called Novus Terra. They needed a concept artist, so I figured I'd hop aboard and see what I could do. Here are a couple of things I'm currently working on. Nothing here is finished...

Some bow silhouettes
    Name:  bow silhouettes.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  167.0 KB

Alien face concept. The project lead created the model on the top left and asked me to make it less human. I need to put a shit ton of work into this thing...
    Name:  face1.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  281.3 KB

Giant walking tree deal. Still needs a lot of work.
    Name:  tree derp.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  323.3 KB

I realize I'm not very good at this stuff yet, but hopefully I'll see some improvements in the coming weeks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  progress3.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  523.7 KB

Forgive me for the size, but the dimensions are hyper awkward, and posting it any smaller would make it difficult to tell what you're looking at. This is still in its infancy, and it's moving frustratingly slow, but hopefully with some time and a shit ton of polish, it could look nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been far too long since I've updated. I've been sitting stagnant lately, trying to find work and not doing art. Trying to get back into the swing of things. Here are some studies I'm working on right now.

Name:  chicken rough.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  385.8 KB

Name:  rough.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  217.9 KB

Critiques, as always, absolutely welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Attachment 1340859
    More progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  sp copy.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  358.6 KB
    Self portrait life study. Really not digging this at all, but it's come a long way in two hours. I've only painted a person from life twice before, one of which was monochromatic, so naturally skin tones are absolutely kicking my ass.

Name:  slight progress.jpg
Views: 461
Size:  206.6 KB
    And some more progress on the study I posted earlier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  sp2 copy.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  159.2 KB

Ugh, really struggling with these. I think I'm focusing too much on little details and not enough on the big picture. This is another self portrait from life. Really trying to move away from photo references.

Critique/suggestions would be wonderful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.