After i add effects previous version looks like crap

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

So i allways had this damn problem, i am coloring something and i really love it but then i just want to try how it would look with some added effects so i set the image on GAUSIAN BLUR , and the image before the GB looks like crap to me...

Example, the normal image kinda looks boring and colorless while the imge with GB looks really reflective and colorfull.

So is it just me or the previous version looks like crap ?

Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The shadows are more saturated and the lights neutral so it makes the image 'glow.'

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first one looks far better to me, just needs some saturation at the light / shade boundaries on the skin, a bit of reflected light colouration and slightly deeper shadows at the junctures. The second image looks terrible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    The shadows are more saturated and the lights neutral so it makes the image 'glow.'
    yes and that is exactly why i love it.some people like it some dont

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    The first one looks far better to me, just needs some saturation at the light / shade boundaries on the skin, a bit of reflected light colouration and slightly deeper shadows at the junctures. The second image looks terrible.
    hah well there are so many of mixed opinion, someone like the V1 and someone like the V2, i preffer V2 GB,, ofcourse it was just a 5 sec edit, it would be even better it it took longer, and i set it on the brightest layer option.

Here is another example, i made another DA account and i took all of my old stuff and edit it for 5 min. do you still thing that the image with effects is terible

Normal

Gausian BLur

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The colors are blown out on the second, but the skin tone is better. There is a lot of color you're missing in your original skin tones. That's why it looks "better" because the skin looks more vibrant to your audience.

So you have to think about what is the problem. The problem is color choice. In addition you need to also learn about the color's chroma and saturation. You need to learn how to work on good color choices first than adding slight tweaks later with PS trickery

Last edited by Arshes Nei; January 7th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    The colors are blown out on the second, but the skin tone is better. There is a lot of color you're missing in your original skin tones. That's why it looks "better" because the skin looks more vibrant to your audience.

So you have to think about what is the problem. The problem is color choice. In addition you need to also learn about the color's chroma and saturation. You need to learn how to work on good color choices then adding slight tweaks later with PS trickery

yes i totally agree that i need to learn a lot about hues , saturations and colors overal
    btw that image is a year old xD, i use a lot of different colors now , i tihnk this is my only work that i like without any effects ,, and if i added tha GB the clothes and brush strokes wouldnt be visible

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post
    So i allways had this damn problem, i am coloring something and i really love it but then i just want to try how it would look with some added effects so i set the image on GAUSIAN BLUR , and the image before the GB looks like crap to me...
    It is a bit hard to believe the difference is in the Gaussian Blur only...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is all I mean. A bit of reflected light, darkening the areas of juncture and a bit of saturation for the skin. Obviously I only spent a couple of minutes but you get the idea.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    It is a bit hard to believe the difference is in the Gaussian Blur only...
    well not only GB but layer options set on bright seting

This is all I mean. A bit of reflected light, darkening the areas of juncture and a bit of saturation for the skin. Obviously I only spent a couple of minutes but you get the idea.

haha man that is awesome, i was allways kinda afraid to use orange color xD,, but i will try not to over use the gausian blurm cause it totally ruins the painterly look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you ever look at a lot of skin there is some blue or light turquoise. I just notice you have slates of "peach and brown" but no blues in the palette to cool colors down.

Marta Dahlig has some good tips on it and Dani Draws http://danidraws.com/2007/05/14/pain...ur-skin-tones/

They give some overview, but you still need to observe real skin, but you'll start seeing it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,357 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BAN_KAI View Post
    So use brighter colours to begin with and blend more. You can do that without "effects".

I like my pictures better when they're further along too.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And don't forget edge control...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,393 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your original image lacks color saturation, so adding saturation to it makes the skin color closer to what works.

Gaussian blur, however, is just a cheap trick. It reduces detail and makes your clumsy technique less evident. You can get much the same result if you shrink the image down - which was done for printed illustrations since people first invented the photo reproduction process.

What I mean to say is: don't rely on post-production tricks. Improve your starting point to begin with.

Here's a breakdown of light and color by Niklas Janssen: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm . By what I see, it addresses every difficulty you have with skin and color in general.

Other problems you've got can be tackled by getting better at constructive drawing. Make your forms clearer and perspective tighter. Brush up on human anatomy - a lot.

And a tip: since color is always perceived in context, painting the background first always helps to figure out the colors in the objects. If you don't intend it to be white, don't leave it white in hopes of coloring it later - it will never match the rest of your work. Even a simple colored background provides a starting point against which you can place all your colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you ever look at a lot of skin there is some blue or light turquoise. I just notice you have slates of "peach and brown" but no blues in the palette to cool colors down.

Marta Dahlig has some good tips on it and Dani Draws http://danidraws.com/2007/05/14/pain...ur-skin-tones/

They give some overview, but you still need to observe real skin, but you'll start seeing it.
    well i have allways used tons of skin variations but i never really used more than 4 different skin colors, i just checked that site,its pretty awesome, i sometimes add those colors but i get the feeling that they dont belong there or is that just my smudging skills are bad to blend them.

Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    So use brighter colours to begin with and blend more. You can do that without "effects".

I like my pictures better when they're further along too.
    in the beggining i used the nice base color and just after that i use the darkest color and paint slowly with my tablet and pick the weaker version of the darkest color by the color picker SHIFT. idk but i love dark colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Thau View Post
    And don't forget edge control...
    ofcourse not

Quote Originally Posted by arenhaus View Post
    Your original image lacks color saturation, so adding saturation to it makes the skin color closer to what works.

Gaussian blur, however, is just a cheap trick. It reduces detail and makes your clumsy technique less evident. You can get much the same result if you shrink the image down - which was done for printed illustrations since people first invented the photo reproduction process.

What I mean to say is: don't rely on post-production tricks. Improve your starting point to begin with.

Here's a breakdown of light and color by Niklas Janssen: http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm . By what I see, it addresses every difficulty you have with skin and color in general.

Other problems you've got can be tackled by getting better at constructive drawing. Make your forms clearer and perspective tighter. Brush up on human anatomy - a lot.

And a tip: since color is always perceived in context, painting the background first always helps to figure out the colors in the objects. If you don't intend it to be white, don't leave it white in hopes of coloring it later - it will never match the rest of your work. Even a simple colored background provides a starting point against which you can place all your colors.

yes you are right, i only use it cause a 80% artwork can look like 100% finished with gausian blur cause i never finish my artwork to the 100% , just checked that site and man that is totally awesome, that could normally be found in 10 split tutorials but that is all in one xD.

About the background, i normally never coloring exept if its clouds and sky, i just dont know how to do that nice grunge bk, ( you know what i mean ?) just a simple BK with some textures. the reason is cause i easily give up, art isnt so fun as it used to be.

ALso thanks guy for the help.,, also what brush would you suggest to get those skin textures like Baron used ?, i now use Rahll and Matbrushes cause he got a brush that looks like a octagon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uh skin textures? Looks like he's just using the artist's oils brush with grain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, just a custom brush with faint grain and paper set to artists' canvas (or some such). Not Artists Oils although it would be if AO actually worked with grain... I do keep telling those Corel guys so I'm hoping they fix that in 12

And that's Painter of course, no idea about textures in PS.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was able to get grain on artist's oils but it has to do with pushing the Amount and Wetness Sliders down. Though if you keep tweaking sometimes it just causes the same effect even with different sliders (like you can get the same effect even though in both cases the sliders are completely different).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When was the last time you seriously attempted to paint something on a topic not derived from an existing franchise?

CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Try increasing the Gaussian blur radius to 250, that should help even more.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was able to get grain on artist's oils but it has to do with pushing the Amount and Wetness Sliders down. Though if you keep tweaking sometimes it just causes the same effect even with different sliders (like you can get the same effect even though in both cases the sliders are completely different).
    Played around and managed to get a bit of grain and keep it with 100% Amount and Wetness, but it's a bit paltry and I'm looking forward for some meatiness in 12.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Played around and managed to get a bit of grain and keep it with 100% Amount and Wetness, but it's a bit paltry and I'm looking forward for some meatiness in 12.
    Indeed. I know we're kinda hijacking a bit here, but the grain slider needs work not just for artists oils but in general. If you go close to 100% grain it has no effect, and too little has no effect either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed. I know we're kinda hijacking a bit here, but the grain slider needs work not just for artists oils but in general. If you go close to 100% grain it has no effect, and too little has no effect either.
    Yeah, it's a flaky implementation of a good feature. I have confidence that papers and grain will be worked on for 12 but I really hope they micro-test it and iron out the bugs and problems that aren't immediately obvious. Another bug with paper / grain I've found is that on some brushes it will consistently 'forget' your paper when you move focus to another window and back. The only solution is to then choose your paper, or look (as I often use now) again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 378 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.