Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tribute to Dio

Thanks

Cool Tribute to Dio

Decided to put my dragon painting aside for a while. Here's a new one. It's still very early stage. Having some foreshortening issue, but it's good practice. Any advice is always very welcome
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    well it's too early for you to focus on the detail yet. When it comes to foreshortening, the shoulder will look larger then bicep, bicep will be less shorter and forearm is a little bigger then bicep. It's hard to explain. You also need to work on your correct anatomy before moving onto foreshortening. Here is a good tutorial that you can find on my blog:
    http://conceptartmasters.blogspot.com/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAMJAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,525 Times in 1,572 Posts
    Build a formal perspective sketch of this scene. Then repaint.

A scene like this pretty much requires a formal perspective sketch; it is very hard to guess the form relationships and foreshortening in it. You haven't guessed virtually any of them right, so - back to sketching, and make it tight and correct this time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just gotta say awesome idea! RIP \m/

But atm it looks quite cartoony, which isnt necessarily a bad thing. I can't really offer much advice, but would love to see the finished piece. Also maybe a whole crowd of demon things would be awesome?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 05bpascoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments, I am resketching at the moment, the scene could have a lot more impact and be better structured indeed

Thanks
    Here's the result of my sketching. I tried to improve the anatomy and composition. I definetly need to get some practice with perspective. Any advice for this piece? The story here is that Dio is fighting a huge demon from a tower. The demon is coming from a hole in the ground. The demon doesn't really look big now though. I will add some atmospheric perspective with color, but any tip to make him seem more threatening? BTW thanks for the link DAMJAN, it's a pretty nice site

Thanks
    Still mostly guesswork.

If you don't have experience with perspective, guessing perspective will never work. Take some paper, a ruler, and construct the perspective formally. The foreshortening here is difficult enough for me to choose to do it that way, if it were my concept; I don't think it is any easier for you.

Working on paper is a good idea for sketching anyway. Photoshop isn't made for sketching, really.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I'll build a grid on it. Not sure how it will come out. I don't want to shun paper, I often sketch. Personally I just feel it's faster in photoshop. I'm not sure exactly what techniques you are using to calculate this kind of perspective, they might be faster on paper.

Thanks
    Techniques for perspective? Ruler and pencil, and some pins.

Thanks
    http://blog.newsok.com/staticblog/fi...ames-Dio-4.jpg he was quite a skinny guy, and in your picture he looks a bit more chunky, also the legs looka little small. also maybe as refence to his song, stick a rainbow in the dark in the background maybe?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 05bpascoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good call on the size 05bpascoe! He was rather small (like 5'!) and has a huge head, what do you think about the drawing now? I don't see how to put a rainbow in this specific picture, but some reference to his songs might be cool. I could put a black bible somewhere.
    Even if it's not perfect, I think the perspective satisfies me for now, unless somebody has some very obvious flaws to point out. I'll do my best to correct them.

How about lightning? Not sure how to light this I added a lamp for a main source on Dio, the demon as some light coming from beneath. Suggestions?

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ink-Orporate View Post
    Even if it's not perfect, I think the perspective satisfies me for now, unless somebody has some very obvious flaws to point out. I'll do my best to correct them.

How about lightning? Not sure how to light this I added a lamp for a main source on Dio, the demon as some light coming from beneath. Suggestions?
    It's not about the perspective not being perfect, it's about ignoring the perspective altogether. When I suggested to work out a formal perspective, I meant just that: a different piece of paper, a horizon, picture plane, vanishing points, and boxes to stand in for the objects and figures. A three-point perspective would do well here, to underscore the size difference between the singer(?) and the troll(?). The same would go for the figures on the next step - construct perspective of the bounding boxes for each body part like head, ribcage, thigh, etc. That will give you enough clue for taking it further.

It seems that you have choosen to just do more guesswork instead, and hope it's right. It's not, but oh well, have fun, knock yourself out.

Talking about anatomy is pointless without a solid basic volume structure, I'm afraid.

You can go on pfutz with this forever, or you can admit that the "not fun" preliminary work is still necessary and interesting, and do it. Your call.

Thanks
    Thank you Arenhaus, I appreciate your concern. I'm trying to keep at a 1 point perspective as much as I can. I wouldn't want to go into 3 points right now, I don't feel I'm ready for that.

I built a simple grid to align my elements although I'm sure you're going to point out that it's flawed.

And yeah I am having fun, and that's my whole reason for drawing. So yeah it's not a very efficient method of learning but I feel that I am progressing to a rithym that fits my lifestyle. I am very sorry if you don't approve.

That being said, I am continuing to sketch whenever I can and generally trying to take a more academic approach when I do studies. So I do value very much the input I am getting in this forum, it does help a great deal.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast