Tribute to Dio

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tribute to Dio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Tribute to Dio

Decided to put my dragon painting aside for a while. Here's a new one. It's still very early stage. Having some foreshortening issue, but it's good practice. Any advice is always very welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well it's too early for you to focus on the detail yet. When it comes to foreshortening, the shoulder will look larger then bicep, bicep will be less shorter and forearm is a little bigger then bicep. It's hard to explain. You also need to work on your correct anatomy before moving onto foreshortening. Here is a good tutorial that you can find on my blog:
    http://conceptartmasters.blogspot.com/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DAMJAN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Build a formal perspective sketch of this scene. Then repaint.

A scene like this pretty much requires a formal perspective sketch; it is very hard to guess the form relationships and foreshortening in it. You haven't guessed virtually any of them right, so - back to sketching, and make it tight and correct this time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just gotta say awesome idea! RIP \m/

But atm it looks quite cartoony, which isnt necessarily a bad thing. I can't really offer much advice, but would love to see the finished piece. Also maybe a whole crowd of demon things would be awesome?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 05bpascoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, I am resketching at the moment, the scene could have a lot more impact and be better structured indeed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the result of my sketching. I tried to improve the anatomy and composition. I definetly need to get some practice with perspective. Any advice for this piece? The story here is that Dio is fighting a huge demon from a tower. The demon is coming from a hole in the ground. The demon doesn't really look big now though. I will add some atmospheric perspective with color, but any tip to make him seem more threatening? BTW thanks for the link DAMJAN, it's a pretty nice site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still mostly guesswork.

If you don't have experience with perspective, guessing perspective will never work. Take some paper, a ruler, and construct the perspective formally. The foreshortening here is difficult enough for me to choose to do it that way, if it were my concept; I don't think it is any easier for you.

Working on paper is a good idea for sketching anyway. Photoshop isn't made for sketching, really.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice. I'll build a grid on it. Not sure how it will come out. I don't want to shun paper, I often sketch. Personally I just feel it's faster in photoshop. I'm not sure exactly what techniques you are using to calculate this kind of perspective, they might be faster on paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Techniques for perspective? Ruler and pencil, and some pins.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://blog.newsok.com/staticblog/fi...ames-Dio-4.jpg he was quite a skinny guy, and in your picture he looks a bit more chunky, also the legs looka little small. also maybe as refence to his song, stick a rainbow in the dark in the background maybe?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 05bpascoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good call on the size 05bpascoe! He was rather small (like 5'!) and has a huge head, what do you think about the drawing now? I don't see how to put a rainbow in this specific picture, but some reference to his songs might be cool. I could put a black bible somewhere.
    Even if it's not perfect, I think the perspective satisfies me for now, unless somebody has some very obvious flaws to point out. I'll do my best to correct them.

How about lightning? Not sure how to light this I added a lamp for a main source on Dio, the demon as some light coming from beneath. Suggestions?

Thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ink-Orporate View Post
    Even if it's not perfect, I think the perspective satisfies me for now, unless somebody has some very obvious flaws to point out. I'll do my best to correct them.

How about lightning? Not sure how to light this I added a lamp for a main source on Dio, the demon as some light coming from beneath. Suggestions?
    It's not about the perspective not being perfect, it's about ignoring the perspective altogether. When I suggested to work out a formal perspective, I meant just that: a different piece of paper, a horizon, picture plane, vanishing points, and boxes to stand in for the objects and figures. A three-point perspective would do well here, to underscore the size difference between the singer(?) and the troll(?). The same would go for the figures on the next step - construct perspective of the bounding boxes for each body part like head, ribcage, thigh, etc. That will give you enough clue for taking it further.

It seems that you have choosen to just do more guesswork instead, and hope it's right. It's not, but oh well, have fun, knock yourself out.

Talking about anatomy is pointless without a solid basic volume structure, I'm afraid.

You can go on pfutz with this forever, or you can admit that the "not fun" preliminary work is still necessary and interesting, and do it. Your call.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Arenhaus, I appreciate your concern. I'm trying to keep at a 1 point perspective as much as I can. I wouldn't want to go into 3 points right now, I don't feel I'm ready for that.

I built a simple grid to align my elements although I'm sure you're going to point out that it's flawed.

And yeah I am having fun, and that's my whole reason for drawing. So yeah it's not a very efficient method of learning but I feel that I am progressing to a rithym that fits my lifestyle. I am very sorry if you don't approve.

That being said, I am continuing to sketch whenever I can and generally trying to take a more academic approach when I do studies. So I do value very much the input I am getting in this forum, it does help a great deal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What's up with my thread? I posted but I didn't get bumped to the top + my thumbnail appears on other people's thread???

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Worked more on it, thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The second main demon looks a lot more comic-y if thats the efffect you're going for?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 05bpascoe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Which one? The one in the background, the one climbing or the one with his tongue out?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm...
    I think you have to look at the singers pose/anatomy again... The position of his head and the connection to his torso is weird :/
    Also keep the light sources in mind! The play between light and shadow is a very important factor in your pic, I think. The light sources make the pic dramatic, so go on with that!

... aaaand I like the first Diablo better

26. The Following User Says Thank You to S_Gangl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment S_Gangl! I'll check the connection of the head. You're right about the light sources, I was planning to continue making it more dramatic. When you say you like the first Diablo, do you mean the one in the beginning of my thread? or the post before? I'm still planning on adding more demons so I can add them into the picture. But I do like my demon in the background, although I could certainly improve him further.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update version and I also poste the outline of my caracter for reference. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm that head is quite enormous. If you use Andrew Loomis' proportions for reference; the waist is three heads down from the top and the crotch four heads. Your waist is about two heads down and your crotch 2,5. Your singer's right leg is also sticking out from underneath his body in a very awkward way. I suggest you study the structure of the human hips a little more; legs don't bend at the buttocks.

As said there are issues with the perspective, but I don't think you're going to be able to fix those yet. When you're done with this piece, try to draw some perspective practices. Look up the rules and guides and follow them, there's a lot to learn still.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Lhune, your input is always so useful! I am planning to practice perspective like you said. There is definetly a lot to learn I know that the head is big but the guy I'm portraying is very short and does have a big head. I probably have it wrong though, if you want to compare check Dio on google images. I just looked again with what you said in mind and maybe the problem is that I was judging the head in proportion to the shoulders.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The composition looks very crowded. Stretch it up a bit, group the demons nearer to Dio close together, but push the Pissed One further away. Create contrast (smaller shapes together - big shape on its own), and don't keep your point of interest in the middle, if you want to achieve dynamic composition.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to tmth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks tmth, I'll try what you said

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to correct the hip and general proportions of the singer and did two quick comps for demon placement, tell me what you think

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you worked hard on this one, and I think you needed to go through the process to see how fare you could go on your own.
    I know what it is like to have ideas in my head I want to get into a drawing, but when I try to do it without any help from perspective and anatomy I usely fail.

I like the demon you added to the forground, but if I were you I would do as Luhne suggested and try to do some perspectiv pratice.

Keep up the good work!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to ranunkel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Ranunkel, I almost done with it. Sometime I need to finish some pieces, doing studies is helpful, but it's hard for me to feel satisfied with them. So I do some studies, Finish a piece and go back to studies. It's probably not very efficient but I don't think I would still be drawing if I didn't do it this way.
    I am planning to work on my perspective, many people told me about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're already quite far into this piece, so i would just say go ahead and finish it as best you can, and maybe after, do a quick redraw/sketch of it but following strict perspective/anatomy/general rules. I'm not sure but i think this may help alot to see where things went wrong and what to do next time?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment, you got the right idea I think.
    I did a quick color overlay, and I think I'm gonna leave it like that for a while.

Thanks for all the help.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.