Sketchbook: Manly Brian's Sketchbook - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey manlybrian, good to see you workin hard

Some of your pencil studies (like in 167) look like they might be suffering from a lack of preparation or underlying sketches. it looks like you're taking a very soft lead pencil (like a 6b) doing an initial sketch with that and then going over it. Generally soft lead pencils don't look too good unless they're going over some already present lines or they're sharpened to a fine point. Shading right off the bat with a soft lead is going to look really rough.

Also, observation is key with studies. make sure you're observing every little thing and comparing it to something else. Some of the eyes on your people are looking a bit "symbol-y" rather than observed, real eyes.

So all in all, draw a little slow, a little larger, and worry about the structure rather than the shading. If you're going to do shading with broad areas, start at a harder pencil and work your way to the soft ones.

Anyhow hope that helps, keep kicking ass

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jason #167 was all done with a cheapo HB from Wal-Mart. I was trying to practice anatomy more than rendering nicely but I can definitely see where you're coming from. I was just sloppy-shading with the broad side of the HB.

Typically in my illustrations and still lifes I start with an 3H or 4H, sketch it out and lay in some general values, and then go over it with a 2-3B to darken it all in, and then go back over with a harder pencil to fill in the cracks and stuff.

Eyes have caused some trouble for me. I have a bad habit of symbolizing them. I think if, like you said, I work bigger and slower I'll do better.

Anyway, thanks for the critique, it's one of the first detailed ones I've gotten on here so I appreciate it!

@Diarum It's a nice little town. The surrounding area is pretty much all farming for many miles but the town (or city?) itself is actually not a very "farmy" one. It's not huge but it's not tiny either. Population's just over twenty thousand but there are even more people just outside city limits like on the air base (where I live.) Anyway, it's a great town if you know how to be self-entertaining, heh.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's late where I'm at, but I'd love to expand upon what I said in the next day or two. I really love the sense of atmosphere and perspective in the hangman piece, though!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blindshot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is kind of a lame update. Super fast experiment with how I might silhouette an alien ship against the sky with a light beam coming down for my new comic. I think I can pull it off okay. The real one will be designed, refined, and thought out better of course.

Edit: (On a second take, this particular sketch looks more like Batman's cape as he leaps off a building or something.)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by manlybrian; January 30th, 2012 at 06:34 AM.
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spent about seven hours on this still life set at work but then my shift ended so I didn't get to finish. I might finish rendering it tonight. Or I might not. I kind of like the unfinished look.

(The lighting is all over because I was at a place full of ceiling lights.)

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last still life rocks and is very inspiring. I've been meaning to sit down and do a really good graphite still life for a while now.

Good job.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bish0p2004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I was hoping it had noticeable improvement. I decided to use sight measuring rather than eyeballing it like I usually do. It paid off as far as the proportions were concerned. I think it was worth the extra hours for measuring and I plan on doing more that way in the future.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick 30 min still life while watching movie. Boring update.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing in the back yard with the doggers.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more of these. The "under the bridge" one didn't turn out very well. It was REALLY cold under there.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The living room one is probably my favorite; it seems to have the most depth and the most overlaps.

Is that a handmade sketchbook?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, it's pretty ugly (is that an oxymoron?) and crudely made but it holds together well and I actually enjoy using it. Plus--it was practically free! Made from all recycled stuff I had laying around the house.

My Sketchbook

16. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Nice sketchbook you've got here. I like how you manage to keep many of your drawings so playful and funny. I'm a beginner too so I don't really know what to say but you seem to be doing all of the right things. So yeah, keep it up with the still lives but don't stop delivering the funnies.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to twilightmoon777 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doodling at work. First thing I've drawn in like two weeks.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Old man I found on Google Images. Old men's portraits can be surprisingly fun to draw!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A strange Orson Welles composition. From, "The Trial."

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another one for Netflix.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tractor sketches for a comic idea, Mignola study, The Man Who Laughs sketch, and office supply doodle at work.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stuff stuff stuff stuff.

Last edited by manlybrian; June 30th, 2012 at 11:18 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketched the living room while talking to a friend.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I recognised The Man Who Laughed instantly.

Good job on that living room sketch, I find sketching the living
    room to be a particularly challenging exercise.
    And thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

Which Venom comic was that? His original mini series or one of the
    newer ones?

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man Who Laughs is in my Netflix queue, I haven't seen it yet but I plan to soon!

It's the newer Venom series where he has to deal with Kraven and such. Not a bad series!
    Thanks for stopping by, I'm trying to get out of my drawing slump, so hopefully you'll see quite a bit more next time.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

I think the sketching the living room is good too, would certainly be a pain in the ass for me though the kids roll through it like the loony tunes "tasmanian devil" every couple of minutes so the scenery changes with new layers of toys and crayons etc etc. But hey ho thats life innit!! lol

stay well mate and thanks for posting.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple more Netflix

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I realized a few months back that drawing isn't the career I want after all, so I haven't been doing it as much lately. I've recently picked it back up, not for struggling through studies and trying to prepare for a job, but to recapture the joy and have fun with it. Aside from my Netflix cartoons, this picture is the most fun I've had drawing in a long time.

For this freehand sketch, I took on Comic Vine's Mystery Art Challenge: "Spider-Man and a Zombie" from the 2012 New York Comic Con.

Watch some of the pros do it.
    http://www.comicvine.com/nycc-2012-m...mbie/112-1969/

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0907111&type=3

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another Netflix.

"All of Middle-Earth were horrified to learn Sauron and Shelob had a son..."

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Netfliiiiiiix.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some hand sketches and 3 signs for my mom's cafe.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Star Trek Netflix

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pub scene from a comic in the works.

My Sketchbook

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Members who have read this thread: 12