Sketchbook: Manly Brian's Sketchbook - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Manly Brian's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We had one banana left but just bought new ones. When I placed the new ones in the bowl and set the old one on top, suddenly I got this image of young family members holding their old dying grandpa in their arms. So I drew it.

The bowl perspective ended up a little wonky but this is probably the best work I've ever done with coloured pencils, so I'm pleased with it.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to manlybrian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff man, the last post with the bowl of banana is great, you should do more perspective drawings like these. You'll find that the more drawings you do from life, the more your perspective skills naterally improve.

Also I recon researching into lighting and values will help your form alot too.

Keep up the great work dude.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm about to delve into coloured pencils as well. I think you did a good job on the bruising.

RIP Banana snr.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some gestures for this last week's Spartan Camp. The pencil pages are 'gender swaps'. Man to woman, woman to man concepts.

My Sketchbook

Demo_Thesis is offline The Hattermancer's Apprentice Level 2 Gladiator: Ordinarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Diggin yer doodles, especially the ones that are spontaneous. This is indeed a very manly sketchbook! Keep using reference!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Demo_Thesis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't done much in a while. Just tried oil pastels for the first time. What have I learned? That I have no idea what I'm doing! I don't think oil pastels are my calling. (Neither are sheep for that matter...)

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Feel like I've done some backsliding a bit since I haven't drawn much lately.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oil pastels...and pastels in general can be a bear to master, don't worry.

Keep up those studies man!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I'm glad to hear pastels are just tough 'cause I was getting frustrated. I might do more with them, I don't know. Maybe I'll enjoy them more as I learn about them.

Here are a couple sketches.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I like the concept of that walking-troll-cannon. It wouldn't happen to be inspired by Warhammer, would it?

Great debris too, it's convincing.

Sketchbook: There and Back again Updated- 7/04/12

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, dude. I made it for the current Daily Sketch Group theme. "LARGE CYBORGIAN ORC DEVASTATES THE ELVEN STRONGHOLD"

It does look Warhammery though. Also as soon as I drew those pine trees I thought, "Wow, I did not mean to draw Warcraft pine trees," haha

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This came to me as I was working on this week's optional neck study for the Spartan Camp.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More neck studies, my sick fiancee, and a screencap that came up on Battlestar Galactica.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've tried over and over to get these in one post but the uploader's being glitchy and keeps deleting them so I'm uploading in three posts.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And the last one.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to start doing a lot more drawings from life study. All the cool kids are doing it. Here's a towel.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My keys! I didn't notice until afterward that it looks like I bent my keyring all out of shape.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job on the towel and the keys!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, SE, I'm glad to hear it! Here's a half-empty CapriSun, haha.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dig Caprisun. I remember old ads for it in the backs of comics that had divers looking for treasure. They had to fight off killer sharks and morays before finding a chest full of Caprisun. That's what was missing from 'Lost"

Nice work on the writing. I struggle with writing in sketches when I'm drawing labels and such. Packets and metallic packaging are always a great way to learn about shadows and light I think.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I love those old comic ads where the junk food ends up being the treasure they find. I suck at doing the printing and text but I had to stick it out if I was going to sell this drawing 'cause the text makes it instantly recognizable. (Not just because it says CapriSun either.) I just scribbled the text at the very bottom though, I didn't want to fuss with it.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Papasan chair rough sketch. The base is pretty wonky. Looks like I wasn't paying enough attention. It's a pretty deep bowl shape too. Hrm.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Travel Sketchbook!

1. People at Wal-Mart (1-12-11)

2. Downtown

3. A building downtown

4. Air freshener from my Fiancee's car (looks like Easter Island statue)

5. Scenes from a train (3-18-11)

6. Scribbly train window (3-18-11)

7. People at the train station (3-18-11)

8. Sitting with the dog, looking across my hometown lake

9. View from my backyard

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Found a wine bottle in the office at work. It was a bit more difficult to draw than I expected. I photocopied the original drawing to this darker version 'cause I was having trouble getting a decent shot of it with the camera.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawn for the Daily Sketch Group.

Theme: Sick Monster
    "Poor monster's energies have been thoroughly sapped by a coupluv Spring colds in a row."

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My handy travel mug!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A stapler at work.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A new one for the Travel Sketchbook. Another view from the backyard.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, big update! Good job!

Was that a red stapler by any chance?

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12