Sketchbook: Manly Brian's Sketchbook - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Potential first pages for a potential graphic novel I'm potentially working on. (minus the narration text.)

The temple doesn't read as well as I'd envisioned. It's an odd shape / design, so it's hard to convey. I'm pleased with the mountains and clouds though.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one was super rushed. My shift at work ended and I had to hurry.

My Sketchbook

And then God said, "Let us make man in our likeness and our image. Let us make him ridiculously hard to draw so that poor artists everywhere will have to spend 10,000+ hours failing repeatedly before they can begin to capture the form and likeness onto a two-dimensional surface." And there was man. And it was good. And artists everywhere lost their minds.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Scary Face #12. I have got to lay off the junk food, I've really been putting on the pounds!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was fairly happy with the way this self portrait turned out. The cheeks are still a little fat but at least I finally got the eyes right.

Also, some gestures for a future piece:

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ouch.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Old Franky's monster. I like drawing monsters, 'cause while the basic anatomy can still be off and noticeable (like this guy's jaw and ears for instance), general little facial features don't have to be perfect 'cause he's deformed and ugly anyway so no one will notice. Drawing beautiful women on the other hand...that sucks.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I keep having problems getting everything in perspective when constructing the skull in 3D. But I don't notice until I darken in the features. I don't see that the face is sliding off the head, or it's too small, or it's tiled wrong, or whatever. I'm used to working on the face stuff as I'm working on the skull. Getting it into perspective and proportion the Loomis way is tripping me up. I'm either not following his methods properly or else I just need more practice.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some concepts, sketches, and doodles for the future graphic novel I'd like to do.

Last edited by manlybrian; February 8th, 2011 at 12:33 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches of things in the office, a bald head, some martial art studies for my comic, and a painting I just finished a couple days ago.

Last edited by manlybrian; February 14th, 2011 at 07:08 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    '''''

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bruce Lee movies provide such excellent muscle studies. He's like a walking anatomy lesson.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i like 3rd row, 3rd column best

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1297733055

nice work

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

xiola is offline The Time Travel Heroine Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like that last painting you posted, the shapes and colours used. It's neat seeing your process on it because it almost stands on its own in several of the steps.

If you're able, I'd suggest finding and taking some figure drawing classes to boost your anatomy skills in addition to muscle studies like above.

Good going so far!

Please come take a look at my sketchbook!! Figure drawings, still lives and oil painting studies! Constructive criticism always welcome! New content added:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to xiola For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you both like the painting. Yeah, I'm trying to grind my way through the anatomy stuff right now. I don't have any formal classes available to me but my fiancee isn't opposed to me drawing her and I can certainly use myself as a reference too. We'll see where it takes me, maybe sometime down the road I'll move to a bigger city with more available.

Here are some pen sketches of stuff laying around the office.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some attempts to figure out folds in clothing. Why does fabric have to fold anyway? I think we should starch everything for the sanity of the artists.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following

That made me laugh a bit, not only because your contempt for that image was so elegantly stated but also because I used to (and still) do that, that is write how bad I feel about my art right on top of it.

Anyhow, I admire the amount of work your doing, but quality over quantity. In a lot of your quick studies you have this really harsh hatching going on. While I've got nothing against hatching, you're just blanketing your subjects with it. Instead, focus on how the lines trace over the 3d form of whatever you're looking at. DON'T think about the lines representing shadows or darkness, see them as a representation of the flat, geometric planes of your subjects.

Keep at it, you're hitting it nice and hard

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment, Jason. If I'm understanding what you said correctly, I'll try and follow it in some of my future drawings. Is this kind of what you're talking about?

(also here are some more practice sessions with heads.)

Last edited by manlybrian; February 21st, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last one for the night.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am loving your comics, that is some pretty funny stuff. Keep at it man. Do you ever go to penny-arcade.com? Go back to their oldest episodes. It is really encouraging to see how much he has improved over the years. Keep drawing and keep posting.

For Science- Sketchbook!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ForScience For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, ForScience, I'm glad you like them. While I've seen quite a few penny arcade strips, I'm not an avid reader. I have noticed the improvements though from beginning to end and they're quite inspiring. Thanks for dropping by and commenting.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never really done gestures before. At least not just for the sake of doing gestures. They're pretty fun. I also studied some arms and feet (doing the gestures made me realize I need to work on those two areas. )

I also attempted to use my line hatching to follow the forms instead of just representing shading and shadows.

Last edited by manlybrian; February 23rd, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple sketches. Haven't done much the last couple of days.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice stuff , they look 3d .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

29. The Following User Says Thank You to raminafshari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, dude.

Here's the pirate concept I just finished. You can see the WIP thread here.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My silly entry for the daily sketch group #1598. I don't know how to colour with markers.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spartan Camp gestures for Monday. 10 down, 40 more to go.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day two of my Spartan Camp #173 gestures.

First page is 60 second gestures (except for the three bottom guys), and the second page is 2-minute gestures.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made it to 50 gestures! The last four are movie stills.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick Cutest Dragon Ever sketch for the Daily Sketch Group. Modeled him after a kitty.

Edit: Decided to add some simple colour real fast.

Last edited by manlybrian; March 10th, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11