ASUS Eee Slate with WACOM Digitizer! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering whether they'd upgrade it with Sandy Bridge?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks for the link!! Wacom stylus, ahh, it's what I was hoping the iPad would be when it was first announced. Would love to be able to paint somewhere other than my desk.

Mossi, when you get yours, please be sure to share your experience using it!
    And MatejaPetkovic, I can't wait until that time comes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it has been out for awhile.. nobody got it yet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this has been out like 3+ months already. i figured everyone knew about it. amazon wait period for this is like a month after ordering before delivery. newegg carries stock sporadically and if you use the notify me option and check your mail often you can grab one pretty easy. I had the opportunity but i got kinda pissed since they raised the price because it was selling so well. they are now asking 100 dollars more for the 64g version then they had in the past.

This computer also uses that gorilla glass stuff. i found this.

"the Eee Slate EP121 features a 12.1” Cornel Gorilla screen, which is highly durable and scratch-resistant"

Last edited by Kangum; April 4th, 2011 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "You see this [Cintiq] is supposed to be white and it's just dull pink gray. And I've used three Cintiqs at the studio and they're all have a pink tint to them."

Have these guys never heard of calibration, or is Cintiq screen so bad it cannot be calibrated? I find both hard to believe: that Cintiqs are that bad, or that people who use them professionally are so unprofessional. A colorimeter costs maybe 5% of a Cintiq price, it can't be that people who can buy three Cintiqs cannot afford a colorimeter! Why, then, do they put up with this pink tint?

Anyway, if you want a tablet with Wacom digitizer for sketching, I think you can still get old Compaq TC1100 off eBay. Runs ArtRage and Alias Sketchbook just fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the compaq tc1100 only has a 10 inch screen. might as well just buy a ASUS Eee PC T101MT-BU27-BK 10.1-Inch. it has 6 hours battery life and its around 500 new. even cheaper if you buy used. it also accepts pen or touch with pressure sensitivity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any more updates from the folks that have already picked this gizmo up?

I'm pretty much sold on it, but I want to be sure before making the plunge...

I have a Toshiba Satellite R15 convertible tablet PC that I've pretty much 'outgrown' (I've had it for about 4.5 years), and my main gripes with it is the size/weight and how hot/loud it gets when I'm really giving it a go (Um, well that just sounds, ahem... >_<). Also the resolution of the screen is pretty low by todays standards - 1024 x 768 on a 14 inch display - making the higher resolution screen on the Slate sounds like a reaaaaaally good upgrade.

I want to get the EP121 (with the 4gb ram/64gb ssd), but not sure if I will sell off my R15 straight away - juuuust in case.

Has anyone said anything about how well it runs Zbrush or any of the other 3d sculpting tools? I'm sure it runs Sketchbook Pro and ArtRage just fine... and I figure if my current tablet can run CS3 well enough, I'm sure this thing does too (Plus it sounds like I can use the pen from my R15 with the EP121!)...

Decisions, decisions.

thedarkcloak website & gallery
    The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

My Conceptarts.org work thread - needs updating soon!

And remember kids! I am not flesh, nor stone or smoke... I am as I am, I am thedarkcloak. BREAK YO SELF, FOO!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @landylachs and thedarkcloak: Being a 3D artist, and a Nerd, I'm going tor write an extensive review of the slate and post it on forums.

How it behaves with apps such as Maya, XSI, Max, ZBrush, Mudbox, Bodypaint, Photoshop and probably some more.

Though, I in no way think it'll compare to a workstation, I think it's powerful enough to serve as portable workstation where you get things done to a certain level and finish in your Big Bad.

I *think* it'll be available here in Iceland in a week or two.(I have my reasons why I don't order from abroad, one of them beind, nobody sends to this Butthole of a country)

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The problem is that the Techies are screaming to lose the stylus input as they say it is dead.. But none of them are artist and don't understand the need for we the artist for a stylus input and that we need a tool for point on edge drawing . the price is like going to be $800 to $1000 but the other thing I can see is built in video vs dedicated video card. it would boost power to doing graphic and make it do what we want ...Nothing suck more then not have power to draw with out a lag.. rendering time and over all.

I want to see one up close with PS and Painter on it drawing and doing watercolor other pens and brushes .. I want to see what it can and can do.. it could be good for low in sketching but not doing full render art.

on the tech forums this table PC is getting beat up bad for the stylus input..and it looking like ASUS is listening too ..So speak up and let them know you want it..

CC

BTW this is what I am using right now as main system
    Asus G73JH-RBBX05
    http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=8je5Ot4HBnKOdT81
    It works very good for my needs and my old wacom tablet intuos 2 12X18

Last edited by CCorsair; April 4th, 2011 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 333 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm buying one of these in a couple of weeks! Been waiting too long for something like it, and I can't say we'll see anything better for portable wacomming being developed any time soon

I've done a lot of research, some people have asked about things i've found out/other relevant concerns:
    It doesn't get too hot, it has a low voltage cpu so it stays very cool, without noisy fans
    The problem of having no programmable buttons can be solved by a 2 USB numpad, or relevant usb pad of buttons.
    The problem of 3 1/2 hours battery, well if you have more money to spend, you can double those hours by buying an XP18000 external battery (they don't have the right adaptor yet, but it's in the works)
    There is no tilt sensitivity!
    That video mentions you can't lean against the tablet with your hand, as it's sensitive to your palm too - you can disable that and just allow for pen response, even put a little thing on the start bar to switch between these modes
    It's not the smoothest thing at painting, it's not gonna be as fast as your desktop workstation, but if you're sensible with layers, max history states and spacing there should be no problem.

other than these points, i'm sure everyone has seen all the things that make it a great purchase for the out and about painter

Lots of stuff about it here I found very insightful - http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tehmeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, I bought it, and then returned it a week and a half later.

REVIEW TIME!!!

It's a lovely piece of machinery. Sleek, and doesn't heat up all that much. Super quiet. Battery lasted around 3:45. The pressure sensitivity, while not as great as my intuos, still served my needs just fine. It's a speedy little computer, and while there was a bit of movement lag, I didn't consider it a problem. It's probably faster than my aging desktop at home.

The pen that comes with it has no buttons and it fucking sucks trying to do work without buttons, so I bought a 10 dollar replacement that has buttons and works with the tablet. While being the exact same size as the old stylus, this one didn't fit in the spring loaded holder for it. No biggie though.

When you buy it, it comes with art rage, and it works well enough, but I'm not a fan of that particular program, so I installed paint tool SAI, photoshop, and the demo of autodesk sketchbook. None of them had working pressure sensitivity. I tried updating drivers for both windows tablet/multitouch control as well as from wacom. Various combos. No luck. In some cases things were made worse. I then downloaded the fujitsu tablet drivers on a suggestion from the net. They worked great. Fantastic. All set now (except for paint tool SAI which I never got pressure for, but screw that prog)

I set up some custom UIs so I could easily work without a keyboard. I got a workflow which, while slightly slower, still worked great for sketching and painting (which is all I bought it for)

If everything had worked at this point, I would have kept it and been happy. Unfortunately, I got the blue screen of the death repeatedly. It happened once before I even changed drivers, but seemed to happen more frequently afterwords. It seemed to happen really frequently while on battery power. Considering that the touch controls don't work for windows recovery, this forces you to plug in a USB mouse so click through the menus. Kills you if you're not working at home or the office.

Anyways, it kept happening so much, that I returned it.

I think the windows 7 tablet/multitouch drivers and software are just too shitty right now to run a tablet computer with proper pressure sensitivity. Maybe it's because wacom is just behind the curve. I don't really know.

All I can say, is that this piece of hardware is really close, but not just there yet.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aesir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to hazard a guess that while the figitsu driver worked, it sounds really unstable. The majority do not have this crashing issue with proper working drivers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangum View Post
    I have to hazard a guess that while the figitsu driver worked, it sounds really unstable. The majority do not have this crashing issue with proper working drivers.
    I agree it might have been part of the problem, but when wacom drivers and microsoft drivers don't let you get pressure sensitivity, then what's the point?

As I said, I think this product just isn't ready yet.

(also, not everyone has had my problems, but I'm definitely not alone based on the tabletpc forums I went looking for help on.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if I google tablet has no pen pressure for any maker available today I will get hits for that maker. I will not allow that to convince me that no tablets pcs work. Its a common issue that isnt just bound to the asus ep121. Its too bad you had a bad experience. Ive read one of the guys who has replaced the 32 gig ssd with an 80 gig ssd using photoshop with pen pressure and no issue.

found the drive he used i think. im pretty sure this is the ssd he used to upgrade.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820167040

Last edited by Kangum; April 5th, 2011 at 10:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aesir View Post
    I agree it might have been part of the problem, but when wacom drivers and microsoft drivers don't let you get pressure sensitivity, then what's the point?
    Wacom has a beta driver available according to some posters here http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep12...n-death-8.html .

Last edited by paberu; April 5th, 2011 at 11:06 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to paberu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rayk View Post
    Wacom has a beta driver available according to some posters here http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep12...n-death-8.html .
    Do you see how much trouble people are going through on that forum? Beta drivers, messing with BIOS, etc?

When I shell out 1200 bucks for something, it better work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you look at the photoshop section of this site you will see that something is going on with wacom drivers for pressure sensitivity affecting all tablets and all cintiq. not saying that its the same issue some have had. its just another mess for the pile. things are not good at wacom right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

scared off the EP121?

Ouch...

That scares me off a bit... but that percentage of folks that are saying they aren't having issues keeps me hopeful...

Now the question is... should I just hang onto my R15 a little longer? *wince
    Course, I also am concerned that more tablet PC's with wacom stylus/pressure sensitivity support are going to be a rarity because of how many users in the general 'mainstream' complain that they don't see the point of the stylus when you can use touch...

Decisions, decisions.

The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

And remember kids! I am not flesh, nor stone or smoke... I am as I am, I am thedarkcloak. BREAK YO SELF, FOO!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

Quote Originally Posted by surpher View Post
    This guy has one. blog

it has nice contrast too. hmmm. sold off my tm2t and going to pick this up. I noticed a lot of mentions about pen pressure problems but my tm2t had that problem too... some programs worked but others didn't. It sounds like a driver issue with wacom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and with the problems listed above this is why you wait a few month for bugs to work out..even my laptop has sound and lock up issues that turn out to be third party issues but it took 6 for them to fix with patch.. we know from the video in an early post there are pressure sensitive brushes for PS the guy uses them. I would say it could be the styles pen you replaced the original with but again had to say.. Windows 7 isn't one to add random or beta drivers too it can and will reject them or can lead to updates conflicts(and hard ware like the Bios should never be effected by a driver ). I would like to see some videos of how it works with the newer pen you got as well..

Thank for the review

CC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for the link to that forum. I want one of these tablets so badly I can almost taste it.
    I am waiting a while though for many reasons, including the supply issue at the moment.

One important thing to remember is people rarely post to a forum just to say all is well, most of the time the reason for posting is because of a problem. If someone is having no problems they are probably busy playing with the thing.

Claudia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been using it for a week. Photoshop CS5 works great. Sketchbook Pro worked well at first, but then started lagging big time. I don't use it anyway for boarding, so I didn't care too much. Battery hasn't been an issue for me. The windows DOS screen that shows up once in a while and Shutdown in Windows has been. I have to make sure all my programs are shut down before Shutting Down, otherwise I get this Forcequit message and when I go to Power Up again I get the DOS window.

The other thing is if you need reference for your work, a second screen would be handy.

I have a Cintiq 21 at home, so the Asus is mostly for on the go work on sets or when I have to work on site on a commercial.

It's terrible with Storyboard Pro 2. So are some Macs. Has to do with the video card. I'm sure SP 1.6 is fine (although with SP you want a bigger screen).

I'm still waffling between bringing it back and getting a Cintiq 12 for on site jobs (better levels, can stay on my Mac laptop), but I love the convenience, cool factor (I know...), freedom, agility of it. The levels it gives me are just fine for boarding and even color story board work, early stages of concept work, etc.

For full concept work I hear some of the top people still use an Intuos and a really fast computer attached to a top notch (great and accurate color) screen, but I'm not a concept artist, so maybe others have a better idea about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really wanted this machine. for a time i wanted to defend its issues to the teeth. stressing not everyone has issues. I have to say though im reading alot of bad stuff about this machine when i dig deeper. alot of freezing issues and alot of blue screens of death. I get hope when i see people post they are ok but there is an unusually large amount of people that have issues with this machine straight out of the box. they have scared me to possibly purchase a hp tm2 instead. not as cool looking but very reliable and decent battery life. I hate to turn my head away from this machine, but ive read alot of scary stuff I didnt see at first.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After further research I too have decided to go in another direction. I've decided to go with a Fujitsu convertible instead. Like you said not as cool looking but so much more reliable and powerful. I'm looking at the Fujitsu ebay store where they sell their refurbished and left over last model machines. The prices are very good, some being quite a bit less than the ep121. The t5010 , t730, and t900 all have Wacom digitizers.
    Yes these are all heavier and not as cool looking, but I'm more interested in functionality and reliability than I am in "cool".

I've read the TabletPCreview.com site from end to end and asked a few questions there and there are a lot of people who stand behind the Fujitsu ebay auctions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Has anyone had any experience with these now. It seems they have been out for a wile now and more people may well have them.

Any reviews or experiences would be very useful

Edit :

Just found this review.. Takes a bit about the pressure sensitivity although he isn't an artist

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZbzC23NA6c

Last edited by StormyBA; June 9th, 2011 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got mine about a month ago, and I gotta say I am really pleased with it so far. Ran into some of the blue screen issues, but the 'tabletpcreview' forums have a whole section dedicated to the Eee Slate EP121 that was VERY helpful, especially for fixing some of the wacom driver issues etc - http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/

Also, Wacom just released the latest drivers and after uninstalling the old ones and cleaning all that out, and reinstalling the new ones (didn't have to monkey around with a factory restore, either!) it's been running even better (no more blue screens!!!).

I do wish it had more pressure sensitivity levels, but for sketching and painting on the go, or even doing base colors, stuff like that, it's great.

I have yet to do a painting in it from start to finish, but I have done some color for comic book pages on it already and it's a breeze to work with.

I highly recommend picking up the Axiotron stylus with the dual button side switch though, the packed in pen doesn't have any buttons on it at all, and it can be a hassle.

Also, I picked up one of those mini travel keyboards, for when I'm settled in for a long session with it and really want/need to be using shortcuts and commands as I work. It's great (I didn't want to be bogged down with worrying about batteries with the bluetooth keyboard, but that's just me).

Of course, it's also easy to just pull it out quickly as a sketchbook, especially with the super fast boot up time.

The resolution on the screen is gorgeous, and if you can get your hands on a miniHDMI cable, having a second screen (even if it's an HDTV) can work out pretty well, too, especially for reference images and things like that (say, when working on the couch).

Only other thing I want to do in future, is maybe upgrade the SSD drive. I'm noticing the prices on them are dropping steadily, so I'm thinking of keeping an eye out for a 300gb or so. But in the meantime, I have an 8gb SD in there and a 16gb USB flash drive I use to bounce between the tablet and my desktop when I'm catching up on stuff at home/work, so I'm not too worried about space for now.

Oh. And watching netflix on this thing is fantastic

The ZOMBIE ZODIAC!
    My DA page

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkcloak View Post
    I got mine about a month ago, and I gotta say I am really pleased with it so far. Ran into some of the blue screen issues, but the 'tabletpcreview' forums have a whole section dedicated to the Eee Slate EP121 that was VERY helpful, especially for fixing some of the wacom driver issues etc - http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep121-slate/

Also, Wacom just released the latest drivers and after uninstalling the old ones and cleaning all that out, and reinstalling the new ones (didn't have to monkey around with a factory restore, either!) it's been running even better (no more blue screens!!!).

I do wish it had more pressure sensitivity levels, but for sketching and painting on the go, or even doing base colors, stuff like that, it's great.

I have yet to do a painting in it from start to finish, but I have done some color for comic book pages on it already and it's a breeze to work with.

I highly recommend picking up the Axiotron stylus with the dual button side switch though, the packed in pen doesn't have any buttons on it at all, and it can be a hassle.

Also, I picked up one of those mini travel keyboards, for when I'm settled in for a long session with it and really want/need to be using shortcuts and commands as I work. It's great (I didn't want to be bogged down with worrying about batteries with the bluetooth keyboard, but that's just me).

Of course, it's also easy to just pull it out quickly as a sketchbook, especially with the super fast boot up time.

The resolution on the screen is gorgeous, and if you can get your hands on a miniHDMI cable, having a second screen (even if it's an HDTV) can work out pretty well, too, especially for reference images and things like that (say, when working on the couch).

Only other thing I want to do in future, is maybe upgrade the SSD drive. I'm noticing the prices on them are dropping steadily, so I'm thinking of keeping an eye out for a 300gb or so. But in the meantime, I have an 8gb SD in there and a 16gb USB flash drive I use to bounce between the tablet and my desktop when I'm catching up on stuff at home/work, so I'm not too worried about space for now.

Oh. And watching netflix on this thing is fantastic
    Is there any chance you could tell me which wacom drivers you are using. I tried the latest "Tablet PC drivers off of the wacom website and it didnt work even after a massive update. It seems the drivers are not installing at all as there is nothing in my control panel at all.

How did you get them installed and which ones did ya use? thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1