Thread: Mr. B's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches from today. I'm having trouble with reflective surfaces and cloth textures.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some faces today. Also a pot & spoon. I couldn't get the level of detail I wanted with the pot...or the spoon, really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to draw some heads from imagination. I clearly need more practice, but I'm making progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start to a sketchbook! I'd like to see some figure drawings with cleaner lines, a bit more structured although those sketchy ones are good to keep loose

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some figures from imagination today, along with some nail clippers. I'm starting to get reflective surfaces. Figures, on the other hand, need work. Critique is certainly welcome.

jbrown67- Thanks! I find It tricky to get the lines right the first time. I assume it's just a matter of practicing until you can do it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Figures from imagination, a metal puzzle & a building I've been working on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sketchbook thread has been completely dead for six months. That doesn't mean I haven't been practicing. I've uploaded some recent drawings & I need critiques in a bad way. I've uploaded 3 drawings from a live model and 2 from imagination done with a tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those six months have done you good! Much clearer and confident lines! Now let's see some more finished pieces to gauge your level.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been nearly two years. Where have I been?

Anatomy study from imagination:
    Name:  figure3.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  42.6 KB

Weird dog:
    Name:  odddog.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  29.1 KB

Digital painting from life:
    Name:  tide bottle.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  14.0 KB

I fell off the wagon for a while. I've made most of the progress here in the last 11 months.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Faces and hands:
    Name:  faces.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  55.2 KBName:  hands.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  35.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mr_Bliss, It is your friend, Kyle.

Cool sketch book dude. You can really see your progression over time, very interesting. You have a solid knowledge on the anatomy of the body, you're very good at drawing the legs and arms and torso in their proper relationships.
    Your heads are looking pretty good, I'd like to see you practice drawing the same head in a complete 360. Right now I find you draw a bunch of random heads of varying design looking in random direction. How will you be able to perform an awesome turn around of a character design if you don't draw it regularly(I only think this because I haven't seen any of that kind of stuff at your place). If you do do that, then post that stuff on here.

Also one thing I notice is, in your anatomy study from imagination, you left out the hands and the face (especially the hands though). Were you under a time limit? The hands are extremely important to have in a drawing, because they nail down exactly what the pose is representing. Your anatomy study is nice, but what is he doing? Is he pointing at someone, does he have a gun in his hand? Is he inconspicuously looking around a corner? Even if there is a time limit of a piece, at least map in what the hand is doing. Having no hand looks to me like you are avoiding it for fear of failure. Your hands on the bottom right look good, but they could use some work. They aren't anywhere near as well refined as your body. I would draw hands a lot more, and draw them with the rest of the arm(or at least the wrist) because if you can develop your hands and arms to show the proper relationships with each other in posing, then that will make your drawings even better.

I think you're past the point of working out proper anatomy, your bodies always look very nice. But I never see you exploring different poses. Because I know you want to be a 2d animator, I want to stress the importance of descriptive poses. They are everything in your animation. It doesn't matter what your style of character is, of if they are even anatomically correct. What matters most in animation is if you can trick the audience into thinking that your character is alive and thinking. One of the biggest principles of being able to do that is by drawing appealing poses. You have the next 3 years to develop all the skills in the principles of animation, but why not show up to school with a decent mastery over at least one of those principles. What I mean to say is, draw more appealing poses.

Cool digital painting of the laundry detergent bottle. It almost looks like it is a rendered model from Maya or something.

Anyways, good job dude, lets continue to push each other! Check out my sketchbook when you have time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to add by appealing poses, what I mean is to draw your characters performing actions. Picking up a large rock, wrestling a grizzly bear into submission, a kamehameha, whatever you get my point.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  still life-upload.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  106.9 KB

Name:  cave crawler.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  43.2 KB

Still life and cave crawler