Art: Gnomon Entertainment Design: Foundation?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gnomon Entertainment Design: Foundation?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gnomon Entertainment Design: Foundation?

I'm currently finishing up my last semester at SAIC where I'll get my BFA in painting and drawing. I'm not new to art but would like to receive some professional training/networking in storyboard and concept art. I've done storyboard and concept art for student and smaller projects, mostly unpaid stuff.

I found the Gnomon Entertainment Design program and I was wondering if it would be worth the extra year of schooling. It looks useful though I would be repeating some classes I've taken in college and I've heard of it being very foundational. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with the program?

Also, I'm including a link to my portfolio in case anyone has any advice/feedback.

Thanks a lot!

Bryan

bdeloach.carbonmade.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can help you save some time. I've been talking with the director of admissions there and a few others just to get a feel for things. They say that if your drawing and painting is already good, you should skip the 2D entertainment design foundation and dive right into the two year 3D entertainment track. They told me that its basically the next step an artist should take if they want to become well-rounded. This is all based upon a portfolio submission of course and getting the OK from the administration. They're the judge hope that helps!

My SkEtChBoOk

[URL="www.wftogame.com
    [/URL]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you don't have any previous computer/3D experience than I would get the basics down before attempting to go to Gnomon.
    I took a couple of classes (sculpting, Zbrush and Maya) there with almost NO experience with 3D programs and I got my rear handed to me. The guys teaching are professionals in their field but they aren't teachers for the most part.
    As long as you can "get it" than it's more than worth your money.
    Also beware, the administrative portion of the school is a little sketchy but as long as you can reach someone they try to help.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, that does help. Only thing is, I'm not sure I'm interested in going 3D. I'm mainly focused on doing storyboards and concept art. So unless they should be 3D then I think I'd primarily be working 2D. But I'll have to talk to them and see if 2D or 3D is the right path for me. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are more into 2D concept art check out Red Engine studios in Arts District in Downtown Los Angeles it is a school taught by professional concept artists that have worked on films and video games such as Transformers 2, Tron Legacy, Inception, Ironman 2, God of War, and Harry Potter.

http://redenginestudios.com/

http://redenginestudios.blogspot.com/

http://www.facebook.com/people/Red-E...00001334194813

S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's awesome, I haven't heard of them. They look like they're new on the scene. Cheaper classes and really good work coming out of there. Thanks for the info!

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Since you're in so-cal why not Art Center? Or Cal Arts? LOL - I just checked teh Red Engine faculty - looks like a great place - but they're all Art Center grads.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is very true that both Art Center and Cal Arts are very good art schools. It will give you the best training that you can get with great exposure to different design disciplines. But all this will cost you $17,000 per term (5 studio classes) at Art Center with 8 terms to graduate, you need $136,000 and thats not counting 2-3 terms of academic you need to take.

Red Engine has equal quality of instructors as Art Center in entertainment design and we provide more hands on education as we give demos every week.
    Most of the student body is composed of proffesionals (even art directors) that are here to improve on their skills as well as students that ALREADY have DIPLOMAS or currently attending Art Center, Cal Arts, and Otis.
    We have STUDENTS that have already worked on projects such as Transformers, Man in Black, and Green Lantern for companies like EA, Disney, Marvel Studios, and Sony. You not only get great classes but you also get the network of proffesionals. We also provide students opportunities to connect with different companies and the best part is that it only costs $1,775 per term (5 studio classes)

RES

Last edited by redenginestudios; January 21st, 2011 at 03:34 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to redenginestudios For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 6