Is it too late?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is it too late?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is it too late?

I am seventeen years old, crazy for computer games and I want to master the arts of becoming a grandmaster in concept arts!

I lack knowledge of men's physics and that's why many things I draw look like shit, especially on PS because I also just know the basics!
    I think that I am damaged by Comics and Mangas and that I should've learned first how to paint classical arts and then try to become concept artist.

Everything I've created with Photoshop so far is this: http://laurenzhorizon.daportfolio.com/

I am mostly afraid of not being capable to become as good as people like Jason Chan/ Nox or Chris Metzen because it's simply too late for me!

I am interested in how you feel about this and if you had the same problems as I have.

http://creatorlaurenz.daportfolio.com/

Just trying to become...better ~_~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, it's never too late
    Pick up some anatomy books and do some studies-read the helpful posts in these forums(there is a ton of great info in the sticky threads in the various forums here), and there are lots of free tutorials online and great info that can help you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perfect timing. Start working hard now, when you're 23 you'll be in a good position.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're worried that 17 is too late to start?

For the love of God, come on.

5. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

LORD M is offline That guy from the cheer me up thread Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,790 Times in 1,165 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My great grandfather loved doing art but he never got the time over because of work, but when he retired at the age of 65 he started taking courses and drawing and painting and sculpting like possessed untill the day he died. If being 65 wouldn't stop him, why would being 17, 20, 30 or 40 be enough to stop anyone else?

"I wish to paint in such a manner as if I were photographing dreams" - Zdzislaw Beksinski
    My Happy Little Sketchbook, please check it out and help me get better!

My TUMBLR!

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LORD M For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Question

Help me, I am 17 but I would like to learn to speak French / do Kung Fu / get good at Knitting / learn to bake cakes.

Is it too late?

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Help me, I am 17 but I would like to learn to speak French / do Kung Fu / get good at Knitting / learn to bake cakes.

Is it too late?
    Yes. All that's left for you is to wait for the end.

Weeping is optional.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know why this is a worry for you at your age, but I know why I felt my best years were behind me at age 17, then at 24, then at 31. From the perspective of 48 let me assure you the best is yet to come.

GO FOR IT!

"Three's so little room for error."--Elwell

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cory Hinman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hinman View Post
    I don't know why this is a worry for you at your age, but I know why I felt my best years were behind me at age 17, then at 24, then at 31. From the perspective of 48 let me assure you the best is yet to come.

GO FOR IT!
    This.
    This statement brings tears to my eyes. Rocks my world. And just made my day.

Thank you. I needed that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ithilion2007 View Post
    I am seventeen years old, crazy for computer games and I want to master the arts of becoming a grandmaster in concept arts!

I lack knowledge of men's physics and that's why many things I draw look like shit, especially on PS because I also just know the basics!
    I think that I am damaged by Comics and Mangas and that I should've learned first how to paint classical arts and then try to become concept artist.

Everything I've created with Photoshop so far is this: http://laurenzhorizon.daportfolio.com/

I am mostly afraid of not being capable to become as good as people like Jason Chan/ Nox or Chris Metzen because it's simply too late for me!

I am interested in how you feel about this and if you had the same problems as I have.
    You're pretty articulate for a 17 year old.

No, it's not too late.

I'm 25 and just starting out. I hope to be doing something in the industry by the time I'm 30.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MatthewHD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Too late? Jason Chan is 27. Nox is 38. Chris Metzen is 36.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    17! You needed to be professional at age 4 to make it as a game artist! Go have a heart attack old man!

Obviously, thats just a joke, you have more than enough time, if you practice enough you can become to a profesional level in maybe 3-4 years?
    17 is probably one of the best time to really emerge yourself in art. You wont regret starting at 17 at 19. 16-17 is about the time people take it seriously aswell. Good luck kiddo!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You literally nearly made me cry my young man.....No! It is definatly not too late for you. I sit here at the age of 27 wanting to take up art wondering the very samething. Is it actually too late to start? For me, that answer is still no! I want to learn. So, If you start your studies now, by the time your my age, you'll be pro

But do not waste your time. I can assure you the next ten years will go fast. Then you'll be sat here, like me, wondering what the hell happened.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    Yes. All that's left for you is to wait for the end.

Weeping is optional.
    I knew that I was right getting myself a coffin to sleep in instead of a bed. At 19, there's obviously nothing left for me in the world.

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Far too late. What have you been doing all your childhood? Nowadays most companies have an age limit of around 13 for concept art roles. You'd be very lucky to be successful at interview with any hint of facial hair, still less so if your feet touched the ground when sitting. And it's not as if you could even take it up as a hobby. After the age of 16 the brain doesn't accept new information and even if it did, post-teenage bones are notoriously brittle and are rarely up to the task of holding a pencil in those lucky enough to survive into their 20's. What I'd suggest is forgetting about the art (you've probably forgotten anyway, as dementia is common in the over-17's) and get yourself down the community centre for a coffee and a biscuit. Careful of the icy pavements, though, don't want to break a hip.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well you're not dead so I would say that no, it's not too late for anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm starting and I'm 20 years old.....you're 3 years ahead of me you jerk!

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    I'm starting and I'm 20 years old.....you're 3 years ahead of me you jerk!
    and you are 3 years ahead of me I started at 23
    Its never to late imo.

Good luck with everything!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nren For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    Far too late. What have you been doing all your childhood? Nowadays most companies have an age limit of around 13 for concept art roles. You'd be very lucky to be successful at interview with any hint of facial hair, still less so if your feet touched the ground when sitting. And it's not as if you could even take it up as a hobby. After the age of 16 the brain doesn't accept new information and even if it did, post-teenage bones are notoriously brittle and are rarely up to the task of holding a pencil in those lucky enough to survive into their 20's. What I'd suggest is forgetting about the art (you've probably forgotten anyway, as dementia is common in the over-17's) and get yourself down the community centre for a coffee and a biscuit. Careful of the icy pavements, though, don't want to break a hip.
    Baron, you're just trying too hard, the strain is showing.

"Three's so little room for error."--Elwell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Cory Hinman View Post
    Baron, you're just trying too hard, the strain is showing.
    You've no idea. I chipped a tooth the other day.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's very tempting to think of those who started earlier as ahead of you, but art is not a race, even if it sometimes feels competitive. we all arrive at our interests, passions, pursuits at different times in our lives, and, though accomplishing anything requires dedication and assiduous work, when we face those moments of doubt, our desire to be "the best" falls away, replaced by the awareness of a private need to experience the world through a pencil. always draw for the edifying experience that it is, and start now!

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Didn't Colonel Sanders start Kentucky Fried Chicken at age 60? Look how unsuccessful he was. Maybe you should leave it another 47 years before committing?

Naaaaa! 17 is a great age to start going for it - in fact pretty much the perfect age I'd say.

But hang on - you say your mum is an artist . . . .and no lessons yet . .. naughty mummy.

__________________________________________________ __________

Nick Harris illustration http://nickillus.com/ SKETCHBOOK GALLERY
    __________________________________________________ __________

Thanks
    Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,209 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, nobody knows how far it's possible for you to get until you get there. So either you fundamentally believe in yourself and you start walking to where you want to go, or you dither around and never get anywhere. There are no guarantees in life.

Would you do this even if you knew you would never get as good as your heroes?

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you enter the Teen Challenge every week you'll get to a pro level in no time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, it is already too late. You're expected to be churning out master-level portraits and paintings by age 12. Might as well give up your dreams; you're already too old to live. Do you know how old Jason Chan was when he got accepted in Massive Black? 9!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pokepetter View Post
    If you enter the Teen Challenge every week you'll get to a pro level in no time.
    OH EM GEE do yu000 have 2 be tween 2 enter that?!1

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No; it is not too late, one of my peers are in their 30s to 40s and there is elderly man who is an art student at my school. it is never too late to be an artist; I started off trying to draw manga and anime at your age, and i am trying to get out of the anime and manga habit myself. Meanwhile I suggest you invest in this book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    iain mccaig was born in 1957 and for the love of god he's "still" rocking it. Just be better than your "heroes" and you'll be fine. I'm trying to kick everbody's ass because none of my heroes respond to my emails lol. Well, a few do and I love them for it. Jealously, passion, and envy is what drives me, learn to embrace your dark side and kick some ass! I was talking to a friend the other day and he got his first art job in hollywood when he was 30 and he has worked with some the best directors in the biz and he is handsomely paid, jets, first class seats trips to rome, private islands etc.... he's living the life man and has made more than a million dollars already and he just turned 50, he's had a good 20 year run. Do you know who Pharrell Williams is? he'll be 38 this year and look how hard he's rocking it in his respective profession. Jay z, Madonna, I could go on and on. Me personally, I know for sure I've burned some bridges and made a lot of mistakes but I'm 24 and from making all the wrong moves I'm learning a ton! Do you really think I should be discouraged? NO WAY! My belief is that everyone deserves a shot to a good life but you have to be smart about it and don't be a dick along the way. When I turn 27 I'm gonna be even better, when I'm 35, omg the world better watch out. My thing is to stay healthy, exercise and keep going, you don't want arthritis to cripple your drawing hand. Hell, I'll add this as well, look at the work of your heroes and ask yourself is my work better? If it's not, ask yourself how it can be better than theirs, don't try to be as good as them be BETTER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A long story...

When I was a young kid in grade school I always wanted to create things but I didn't because I would get scolded by my mother and teachers for wasting paper and time...so I put it off. I went through middle and most of high school ignoring my desire to make art and was an all around jackass. One day in my 10th grade math class there was this guy with a shonen jump magazine copying an issue of Shaman King(quite generic looking back) and I asked him about how long it took and he said it took him a week and he was done. I asked him could I borrow it so I could try to copy and oddly he said yes. So I spent literally 2 weeks copying everything I could out this book until the guy had to hound me down for his book back. I gave it back but after then I started to find things to draw and drew whenever I could and before I knew it was the only thing I liked doing beside playing videogames...I was laughably terrible at it but I was something that could eventually pay off.

I was 16 when that happened and looking back I wish I had payed more attention to anatomy and the basics of drawing sooner but it really doesn't matter. If you have the drive to be an artist at a young age, a drive to get better and a drive to actually do it then you're basically a rich man. You have youth, time and very soon a marketable skill. Look around you and you'll see that you have 3 things are quite valuable. I'm 23 now and I've been at it for 7 years and frankly I suck at it still but I suck less than I did years ago. Art is by far the best thing that happened to me. I'm looking forward to the next 7 years and what it has in store for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your many encouraging answers!

I didnŽt expect so much response from the community.

IŽll do my best to be a kick-ass-artist!!

Best wishes, Lin

http://creatorlaurenz.daportfolio.com/

Just trying to become...better ~_~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2