Steam punk wedding?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Steam punk wedding?

I'm making this painting for someone important to me as a very late Christmas present (took me forever to figure out character designs and how I wanted it to look... twas a pain).

Well, the only real thing on it that is "steam punk" would be the things on their hats and junk... then crap you can't see because I HAD to have that pose, which blocks the fronts of their outfits.

Anyway, it was done with acrylic paint and sometimes mixing in a thing of Citadel paint I have (for the metals). I think it's done and yet I don't?

Sorry if the pics suck. My camera didn't wanna cooperate with me.

Name:  1.png
Views: 218
Size:  1.32 MB

Name:  4.png
Views: 197
Size:  966.4 KB

Name:  3.png
Views: 195
Size:  688.4 KB

Soooo, helpful criticism please?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, I think at this point, the most useful help for you would be suggestions on how to make it look more "steam punk," so I'm not going to critique the figures or technique.

First of all, you have that decorative border. That is the easiest place to start. You have all those tiny circles, you should make them into something. Just google "steampunk" and look at the weird devices to get ideas. Make them into gears, watches, dials, etc.

Next, they're just in the middle of a dark forest. There isn't much in that picture to indicate a wedding. Weddings have decorations. Hell, you can probably google "steampunk wedding." (And I just did. Holy cow, check out the steampunk wedding cakes for ideas.)

Also, if you don't have a specific reason to use that color palette, then I would use less of a bright red/orange and more of a burgundy and other muted tones.

And I know I said I wasn't going to do this, but your background could use some work. Show some space between the trees. Show the ground receding into space. Right now, it looks like the kind of drawing young children do, with a straight line a couple inches above the bottom of the paper with trees coming out the top. Get reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also didn't really explain it too much.

The reason for the orange and the purple is because the bride's favorite color is orange and the groom's is purple, otherwise I would have made the color scheme for them black, white, and probably red because I like how they are together. So, there is a specific reason for the color palette, but thanks for the suggestion on it Since I'd agree otherwise. Oh, I'd probably have added more of the typical rusted gold color commonly seen with steam punk.

Hm, I didn't try googling steampunk wedding since I figured it'd suck as bad as when I googled steampunk wedding dress (which was terrible when I did). I'll try your google suggestion and see what I get =D

I agree it doesn't really pop out as a wedding, but the bride and groom do want to get married in that forest setting and I wasn't sure what exactly to put there. I've only ever been to one wedding and I was young, though I probably should have googled some of that as well. I didn't want to go too drastic with it, since it is a forest. The only weddings I really know of are the froo-froo ones on TV which are waaay to girly for the couple this is for.

The background I'll admit I failed with, which is my bad. You'd think after being forced to make landscapes over and over again at school I'd remember that, but I guess I kind of spaced and focused on the clothes too much. Welp, my painting teacher was right about thinking of the whole picture (not that I ever thought he was wrong lol I just sort of spaced on that part).

Doesn't help too much when the bride goes "I dunno... I really like orange" and the groom goes "Well, I like purple and steam punk! " so I had little to go off of, ha ha. Thus posting it here! So, thanks for your input

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good start!
    Its slightly hard to see exactly whats going on in a couple of places;
    I didnt spot the brides legs striaght away, and it looks a bit like their faces are melted together.
    Also the trees of the forest could also be the curtains of a stage.
    maybe try out ideas on this job in photoshop to see what works before commiting in oil.
    I like the frame btw its kooky

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 2,241 Times in 1,358 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why is the middle of the painting so empty?

Why are the figures crammed into the side so much?

Is the bride a midget?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.