Sketchbook: the screencapbook [OPEN TO ANYONE] - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @lyno: great values! i think bigger brushes would make it look cleaner

@lawnmower: the jaw is too thick on the left side. the clothing could use a little more definition. great color!

@andrew: the top of the hat is too dark, that's all I can say now, value-wise. good work!

@avis:awesome work on the colors!! background could use a little more bluuuur ;-)

Haven't been added yet but...

Here's my attempt, exactly one hour in painter. the cap is from schindler's list, what a great movie!

Name:  schindlSC.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  64.2 KB
    Name:  schindler1.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  68.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bit off a bit more than i could chew today i think, did it all with the soft edge round trying to familiarize myself with how it works since its not something i dont usually use.

i will do a crit post tonight once i get back home (though im still not sure my crits will be too valuable )

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Niles; January 4th, 2011 at 09:27 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Niles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome I'm in psyched for this

Kfeeras really good piece man love the use of edges, great blend of soft and hard I'd maybe suggest polishing it slightly, the faces for example could do with some work, I'm sure you're aware of this though In general really nice piece though

AvisNocturna Agree with Kfeeras, a little more blur would look great the colours look pretty accurate though, good job

Andrew Sonea Great piece! could do with a little more saturation though, and I'm not fond of the horizontal lines in the water, really good job though, just a little more saturated pink in the skin to make it pop

Broken Lawnmower Wow awesome, can't really crit it the area underneath his chin feels a little too yellow though

Lyno Good work man, the textures feel good your choice of pics seem to have really muted levels though

here's my crappy attempt, atm my computer will barely run photoshop so I was struggling a little with the resolution should be upgrading tomorrow though

[ahr-ki-tay-lor]

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Architaylor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so uh, does this get me in? its a couple days old and only like 5 mins, but ive been kinda busy. ill post up some crits and another screencap in about an hour for good measure

*edit*: crap haha i meant 45 mins

Last edited by lancer_idenoure; January 5th, 2011 at 12:20 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Niles Hey great start, looking pretty good! One suggestion is to use a grid for your reference image and your canvas. AvisNocturna recommended it to me and it helped a bunch. Keep it up!
    P.S. Just saw your second one, looks really good. Again, that grid is going to help you a bunch!

Fudgeloaf Great Work. Thanks for the comment. I know i'm in no position to be saying this, but you can push the darks a little harder. I feel bad saying it because I'm just the worst at this. Keep it up!

h.k Way to 'one-up' me, my man! Looking great, now do it every day!

Jr.Molcak's Appreciate the crit man. Your's looks fantastic, I really need to start doing color studies. Everyone's so far ahead. Keep it up!

varmint Great first post! You did a really good job capturing a likeness, even if it wasn't you intention. Keep em coming!

Lyno Three!!?!? Haha, excellent man. Did a great job on each of them, Proportion problems here and there, watch out for that. Flipping the canvas horizontally usually helps make those problems a bit more obvious. Nothing besides that, keep it up!

Broken Lawnmower Shweeeeeet. Good stuff man, the color is a bit off, not sure if that was your intention, but your skill is definitely evident. Keep practicing!

Andrew Sonea Psssssssstt. Andrew...your improvement in Color is showing. Good stuff man. Something feels weird about the face, can't put my finger on it, just seems...off. More color studies!

AvisNocturna's Great work, I think it's good to break the 1 Hour time limit once in a while. Can only do so much in an hour and sometimes you just want to see how far you can push it. Looking good overall, keep updating!

Kfeeras Waaayyy cool. I love the rendering you achieved on the clothing. Looks great. You kept it simple and didn't get caught up in detail...teach me...

Architaylor Good job blocking in the main colors and values. That's what these are all about. Keep it up!

lancer_idenoure Your post led me to your sketchbook, which is incredible. Can't believe how far you've come in Digital painting, sooo quickly. If you actually did that in 5 minutes, I'm just going to break my hands.

Here's a quick one hour study, not terribly disappointed in it. I guess I can see a bit of an improvement since my first. Will do another tomorrow. Until then..

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jNeumann For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fudgeloaf: heads and hands man!
    kfeeras: lookin nice, just pay closer attention to values and shapes!
    Niles: a lot of your heads are looking too small! draw the big shapes and make sure they all are in proportion etc, first! i also think you should stick with grayscale right now
    Architaylor: welcome man! the angles are a little off which makes the whole head seem wrong, so watch out for that. great start though!
    lancer: good to have you join!
    jNeumann: watch out for your values, not dark enough and not light enough etc.. again watch out for big shapes

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ill just crit the ones on this page

jNeumann: haha sorry that was a typo, meant to put 45 minutes. please dont break your hands, you need those! this one is a LOT better man! drawing looks solid besides a few minor things, just check those values. what can help is to squint to simplify the shapes of tone. you have his body and face too light right now, and that highlight on his shoulder should be white. thanks for droppin by my sb, ill go reply to that

me: EDGES!!!! and brighter highlights...

Architaylor: looks great! love the looseness. ill hold off on more crit till you get ps running up to speed.

Niles: your colors are lookin great but a tad overexposed in areas. like too saturated and too much contrast. subtlety! check your drawing more before you start fleshing it out too, all your faces are too small.

Kfeeras: lookin good. nothing much to crit other than your forms look a little "soft". theyre lacking constructionbecause the drawings a little off...but in only an hour thats understandable.

ok did one from one of my favorite movies went a little overboard with this one, but i was testing out a new-ish rendering style. also went crazy with the sharpen tool O_O
    spent something like 2 hours and 15 minutes on it and kinda rushed towards the end :/

Name:  002_step1.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  145.3 KB
    Name:  002_step2.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  212.4 KB
    Name:  002.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  229.4 KB
    Name:  district_9_screenshot-med-14.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  284.9 KB
    ...yeah i should definitely cut back on that sharpen tool...

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm doesnt look like my post bumped this, so *bump* oh, and no biggy ryanoir, but you spelled my name wrong on the first page. just lettin you know.

keep it up guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoow! great studies! got to do some myself. I would blur background characters on this star wars pic a bit more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, damn. Have I missed out on signing up to this?

These are great guys, a really awesome idea too. I'd love to join in if I was given the opportunity, I really need the practice and the crit would be brilliant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u'll get there m8 Keep working hard!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry LANE ! hhaha
    backgrounds too dark, make it lighter like the ref and the character will come right out!
    great start
    sorry jackson but it's full! it's overflowed even ;O; if we let anymore people in it'll flood, we don't want that feel free to come around to crit and what not, and make a sketchbook of your own to post yours in! i'll be happy to crit them myself

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww, well that's a shame but I will definitely do some of my own and create a sketchbook. Thanks for the reply.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 577 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Niles: I think you did a good job on the colors, but pay attention more attention to the forms, like your mouths and stuff and try to simplify them.
    JNeumann: Push your values more. If you look at the ref you can see it has alot bigger value range then you did (darker darks and lighter highlights).
    Lancer: Looking good, but watch the values, your highlights could be bit lighter and the shadow seems a bit dark to me.

heres what i did today, this is freaking hard for 1h but fun also!

Name:  Movie03.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  168.5 KB

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fetsch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    howdy folks,

Some critique, however, you all are pretty good in this:
    @lancer_idenoure - I think more of a wet highlights on your first one will help.
    @jNeumann - yeah, as was mentioned there is a wider range of values. Also watch out the brighter spot on his body.
    @Fetsch - background can use more of a cold blueish tones.

Here is something from me for today. Took me a bit longer than an hour. Bad thing is that I can't see the same amount of values on my Cintiq, so there might be missing parts here and there...

Dracula, Painter 90MN

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Jr.Molcak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking great everyone!
    more hours into this, really enjoying it
    gotta fix up that guys neck...

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jNeumann:
    Nice, everything is in place, but try to work faster next time. Also his values for the skin are too light. Push the values more.

Lancer: Good work but your light values should be lighter. Your darks are also too dark. It would be great of you could "shift" the values more to the lighter side

Fetsch: Very good, his shadow side misses some light though. The original picture has much more information in the dark side of his face, you went to dark in the shadow so it looks a bit muddy. I also miss that "surprise" look a bit, you missed that highlight of the eyelid (his left eye - right for us ) Other then that, good work!

Jr.Molcak:
    Nice work, his eyes are slightly smaller but that are just details .

ryanoir:
    Good start, you got the gesture right, although I have the feeling he is leaning more to the back, exaggerate a bit more.

Going to save this before I lose it .

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are mine for today, 1h each, the last one 30 min. I hate it when you line them up to save and then notice your mistakes .

Name:  moviestudie4.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  232.8 KB

Name:  moviestudie5.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  112.4 KB

Name:  moviestudie6.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  97.9 KB

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JNeumann: Ok i'll try:

The single most important thing, for doing 1hr studies of screencaps, in MY opinion: Squint your eyes!
    It's so important, especially in the first minutes. With the 1hr limit you have no time at all to do small details, and by squinting you only see the basic shapes and values. With squinting I mean squinting while looking at the reference. If you want to do an exact study it's a different thing, then you want to get the drawing first, like in ryanoir's current piece.

@lyno: too much green in the lower right corner on that first image, and the head shape is a little off on the last study.

@ryanoir: not so sure what i can crit at this early stage. just a hint: don't care toooo much about the likeness of the actors, try to capture their mood and character ;-)

@molcak: the face is a little too bright on the sides

@fetsch: great job for one hr! dont worry about the pattern on the shirt. and the highlight on the nose is slightly too big. the pointy nosehighlight is sooo important to get just right, because it defines the form of the nose and is often one of the brightest spots, so it draws attention

@lancer: great! it's too dark and saturated all around, but not in a bad way ;-) (talking about the creature-cap

soooo here's another one from schindler's list. limited time to 1hr, used painter

Name:  capstudy2.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  cap2.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  86.6 KB

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lancer_idenoure Nice d9 study! But the whole pic is too dark ^^
    Lyno The skin in the first one is too green and too bright ^^.
    The second looks really nice! But the skin looks too smooth. Try to do a study just with a hard round brush like Architaylor in post #64 I think it would help to keep the values right. Keep working hard! U r amazing

btw, thanks for the crit on my study!

Did this yesterday, almost 2 hours....gnaarf unfinished
    The Expendables
    Name:  2.png
Views: 427
Size:  525.7 KB
    And todays study. 1 hour and some minutes °- °
    Spider-Man 3
    Name:  3.png
Views: 433
Size:  615.0 KB

35. The Following User Says Thank You to h.k For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryanoir: Great idea to do a more developed study.
    I really like how you block in the values.
    lyno: the shapes look really acurate on the first one. Butyou didn't quite manage to get the wet look of the skin. The darks could have been a little darker, the reflections have sharper edges.
    Kfeeras: nothing to crit here, that's pretty acurate. Digging the hard edges!
    h.k.: I'm not sure wether you should start with colours already. Try some b/w studies to practice nailing the shapes down and getting a better feel for the values.

thanks for the feedback so far!

This ones pretty lame. should have defined some edges. ~40 minutes, post size is original size. Don't have much time today.

Name:  tigerdragon_screenstudy.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  71.1 KB

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lancer_idenoure: I really like this, though i feel the colors may be a bit too saturated especially in the greens.

Fetsch: good job on the likeness it seems to me that you were a bit too aware that the skin was skin though ( im not sure if that makes sense) the original has an un natural glow too it, but yours seems to mute that mixing it with a skin tone.

Jr.Molcak: well done, not too much to crit, just nit picking details like his left eye seems squished and im not sure that i like the choice in brushes for this image, but all in all it looks real good

ryanoir: I'm looking forward to seeing where you take this, i am really enjoying the brush strokes in his face so far i dont have much to crit, thank you for your advice on mine. I'm not sure i will be able to stick to value studies every day or not, however i will be doing alot more of them in greyscale than i otherwise would have...if you notice me slacking off on my value studies make sure to call me on it im too attracted to color

Lyno: great job, and way to be productive the first image is way to pale, colors need to be amped way up. the other 2 i dont think im qualified to pass judgement on

Kfeeras: great job blocking in everything, all the important information seems to be there and very easily understood, i feel like its overall way to dark though, however if that was a styalized choice for your study i would understand

h.k. : Nice job getting likeness. Dont neglect the basic construction when you work on these, focus especially on lining the nose up, they both seem to be a bit off, also i think it may be a good choice to try to do some value studies during these, you seem to go too light too fast. all in all good work

AvisNocturna: very nice, extra nice considering your references scale and clarity. i enjoy the motion you got into the left figure, though if i had to crit something it would be that you gave too much motion to some parts of the figure that arnt so blurry, which takes away from some of the action in the leg. but thats just me being picky great job

PHEWWWW i did it...that was my first time criting anything really, atleast anything outside of my direct comfort zone...so i appologize if any of what i said was wrong or not helpful it is hard to find things to crit when all i keep thinking is...damn i wish i could do ________________(inserting whatever it is im looking at) Also...thanks everyone for your crits, it is as well the first crits ive recieved on this site, and its allready shaping the way i think while working...

So here is todays, or atleast this mornings "coffee warmup" I am completely unhappy with it so i think i will do another later today as long as the old ball and chain doesnt try to take up too much of my day

NPH as Dr. Horrible

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Niles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It feels completely innapropriate trying to offer advice...

@h.k

Old geezer's neck might be a bit too light, and his nose is a little crooked. The likeness is there though.
    Eww, spider man 3, /spits.

@Jr.Molcak

girl: colours seem very close to me, but the mouth looks a bit flat. Also, she's got a total 1/2 groucho going on there :o
    spooooky face: epic

@varmint

I love the powerful homoeroticism this piece exudes, but you could work on the pez dispenser proportions.

@Lyno

I love the first picture, which film is she from? On the second one, his eyes are on a different plane to his brow. Basterds looks spot on to me, maybe his jawline is a bit off.
    The colour one is sick.
    B&W vampire's head looks a bit misshapen.

@Broken Lawnmower

What's that supposed to be, a ham?

@Andrew Sonea

The colours look awesome. His face is a little squished, and his neck doesn't really read like a cylinder, the creases are a bit too straight.

@AvisNocturna

Work on stuff, and things. Particularly stuff, there's a real weakness there.

@Kfeeras

Damn, that's really impressive as well. They look exactly the same if I squint.
    As does the second one :o

@Niles

Her heads a little bit too small, in fact all the heads are a tiny bit small, otherwise great. Cool rim light.
    NPH: very nice, the angle of the plane under his chin isn't quite right, it squishes up the lower half of his face.

@Architaylor

Damn son, is that Bob Hoskins? Victory is clearly yours.

@lancer_idenoure

House of wax(?): That looks great. Maybe her septum and upper lip are a bit too bulky in your pic.
    District 9: sweet.

@jNeumann

Looks good, I think the neck is too short and the reflected light values might be too high.

@Fetsch

A bit too purple maybe? Impressive nonetheless.

@ryanoir

Looks awesome to me. How many fingers does he have?

Thanks for the crits everyone, I focused on head construction, and measured a lot more carefully this time, third attempt and about 2hrs spent

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kvetch For This Useful Post:

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lots of good stuff will crit tmoz when i can see straight but heres today screenie, not too happy with it, stuck with hard round again but used colour picker to start me off baah
    Name:  apocalypto-study.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  78.4 KB

gonna have to attempt the soft brush at some point.

Livestreamin'

Blog

Available for Freelance!-Contact Michael.jay@live.co.uk

43. The Following User Says Thank You to fudgeloaf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ryanoir your study is coming along quite nicely
    h.k. it would all have to depend on your initial focus for your last pair of studies, but it looks like you're paying much more attention to detail than you are to form and lighting.
    jneumann instead of trying to just match the shades of grey, focus on why parts are lit and parts are not on whatever you're painting. ultimately what you are to describe is form, and light is there to get that job done. and to echo the others who gave you crits, simplify! and squint!

45. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Avis Nocturna: So good!!!!! Other people have already mentioned the background needing to be softer. Other than that I only see one tiny thing (and I had to really look hard for it because I want to critique every picture). The woman's eyebrow (our right, her left) is the wrong shape and it is changing her expression a fair bit. Further down my post is a crit on your other pic (I did them in order).

Kfeeras: Looks pretty good overall. Just watch your edges more, and pay attention to the left figure (head placement is odd, and he should be shorter than right figure).

Niles: Nice study! The heads are all too small though. Also be careful with what hue you are choosing--background is pinkish but you made it greenish, and the helmeted dudes have browny orange shoulders not blue gray ones.

Architaylor: Good blicking in! The structure reads very well. Jacket and background can be darker, and watch the angle of the head--you have it tilted a bit the the left when it is tilted the other way in the original.

lancer_idenoure (first post): Looking good! Can be a bit brighter, especially the reflection. And the hair in the shadow should be less saturated. Further down my post is a crit on your other pic (I did them in order).

jNeumann: Your drawing looks really accurate on this one. The highlight on the shoulder should be brighter, and the shadows should be darker with less contrast within it (you've exaggerated reflected light too much). Also watch the angle of the hill in the bottom right.

lancer_idenoure (second post): Solid work man! Can be brighter and a little less saturated overall though. Also the hues in the background are a little off.

Festch: Very good! Your whole image is slightly too purple, should be more blue. But it's really hard to find crits on this one. Maybe pay more attention to edges a bit.

Jr. Molcak: This looks really good. Nothing wrong with it that I can see...the shape of the brow is a little different but I am being nitpicky. Try colour next time!

ryanoir: This is looking good, I really like how you are thinking in planes like that for the face. The hair, background and jacket can be darker though. Also the angle of the elbow is off, I think the humerus is too short? Looks great though.

Lyno: 1--looks really good. The shiny water on his face though can use some sharper edges to get across the wet feel more. 2--another good study. Her head seems squished vertically a bit and jutting forward a tad too. 3--Haha, funny image. You can put in the darks darker though, and you chopped off part of his forehead.

Kfeeras (again): Complicated image, and you did it well. Watch the flat blacks though. In the original there is some bits of very dark grey in the shadows (like on the two guys) that give a bit of form and keep it from being too flat. The windows can be brighter too.

h.k: 1--Pretty good likeness on that, and good colours. Maybe make it a bit darker and more saturated. Also, use bigger brushes and go from big to small. You are getting too caught up in details which is why you didn't finish. 2--This one is also pretty good, but you are still getting too caught up in details.

AvisNocturna: Haha, was about to mention edges when I notice you already did. Other than that just make sure the lights are light enough in areas.

Niles: Fantastic values! Just watch the accuracy of the drawing. The angle of the jaw is off, goggles too big etc.

varmint: Nice stuff! You've made her skin too light. Also, she looks older, but this is largely because of the blockier planar approach you took. The other thing making her look older is the eyes are too small.

Fudgeloaf: Not too bad, but try not to use the colour picker. Also be careful with the eyes--the bottom of the iris lines up with the bottom lid. You've added too much white underneath and made them in slightly different directions which changes the expression a lot.

Phew. That took a while, but it is great to see such enthusiasm from everyone. Sorry if I repeated a crit of what someone else told you, I didn't read though every single crit, just looked at pictures.

Here is my 1 hour screencap for today. I did it in greyscale and found it much easier haha. Overall I'm quite pleased, but the forehead is a little messed I think, and the hair can use more work. And I just noticed there aren't any true blacks in the original. Maybe it isn't so good.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lyno: Oh snap! These rock man. More specifically they rock hardcore to the max. The only crit I have is that you probably pump up the value contrast some.

Kfeeras: really like this. only thing I can think of is that you missed a bit of bounced light hitting the figures.

h.k: The faces in both studies are a little brighter than the screencaps, and in Bruce Willis's case, it seems like you simply blended the colour of his face in light directly into the shadow colour. However, if you look at the screencap, there is a kind of an intermediary colour between the light and shadow (sorta yellowish-brownish). You got chops though!

AvisNocturna: whachootalkinbout lame? I definitely like it. You pretty much nailed the values (though the flipping dude's shirt's highlights could be a little bit brighter)

varmint: its Liham Neeson, duh

For a crit, her eyes are just a little too small I think, and the values on her face are too high. I like it though.

fudgeloaf: colour and value are off a bit, but the construction isn't bad. The dude's nose piercing in the screencap has a fairly muted highlight and you gave it a very bright one. Also, no colour picker! Even just starting off! You will see improvement much faster if you try to match the correct hue and value completely by eye. The colour picker is just a crutch (that can turn into a habit) that will slow you down.

Andrew Sonea: that's fuckin great! I love how you achieved the same grainy effect for the background. no crits here.

This one really kicked my ass with a steel-toed boot

Last edited by Broken Lawnmower; January 6th, 2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: d'oh!

49. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Broken Lawnmower For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, new day new cap... (hehe, all made off 3 letters)

going to be short with a critique. Sorry for not typing kind words, don't really want to sound like primadona here, just saving some time with less blah-blah.

@ryanoir - I see you are working on complex study, however I strongly recommend you to work on whole piece. You already should have some flat fills on all characters rather than polished one of them.
    @Kfeeras - try to study values out of color images. I know it depends on your goals, but you know what I mean I hope.
    @fudgeloaf - nah, color picker
    @Andrw Sonea - stronger highlights on her face, but you captured her very accurate. I also encourage you to study greyscale values out of original color image from time to time.
    @Broken Lawnmower - cool, I too have already some Vertigo images downloaded for future references. Less of a green on lower sky and slightly lighter concrete and you're pretty close here.
    ___

Dracula, Painter 80MN
    Just noticed I fired out some true blacks there. Also the head contour should be darker. And I am sure you'll find more to crit...

51. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jr.Molcak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll try to give crit. to last 5 posts...

varmint - look at the brightness of the head..in your sketch..head looks more brighter thats why the contrast looks more, even your dark tones looks more darker than they are.

fudgeloaf - you got the right colors but you need to take care about the tones..e.g. the whiteness in the eyes are too bright, you just need to take lighter tone of the skin.

Andrew - very nice attempt ! just check out the angle of the head..it looks different from the ref. especially the lower line of the eye.

Broken Lawnmower - Nice one ! just those tones of lady's dress and shadow on the ground looks too deep.

Jr. Molcak - you need to check the 'black values'...fire needs more brighter tones.

there is one more cool place where you can find lots of great screen captures - F R A M E F I L T E R

My attempt - 40 min. using photoshop..i should have spent more time..lots of flaws

Last edited by shyamshriram; January 6th, 2011 at 09:56 AM.

53. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shyamshriram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Niles: Nice, the distance of nose to bottom cheek is too short though. You also have a dark value on the side of his nose so it seems he is in pain or something like that.

varmint: Good one, here eyes are a bit bigger I think, you also went to light with her skintone. (First picture I did was from "Zombieland ")

fudgeloaf: You rendered the lower lip different, he is squeezing his eyes in a different way. His nose has also a light slope in it. Good job otherwise.

Andrew Sonea: Great!

Broken Lawnmower: Very nice, foreground and the dress of the lady could be a bit lighter.

Jr.Molcak:Accurate, only thing I see is indeed the blacks you are missing.

shyamshriram: I like it, you got some of the likeness going on, although I think his forehead is longer. His nose is also different by the way you rendered it. I think you also have to tighten (bring the values closer to each other) the values around the eyes, if you squint your eyes you almost have one value. Good work!

Here is mine:
    Name:  moviestudie7.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  67.4 KB

55. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyno For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1