Sketchbook: the screencapbook [OPEN TO ANYONE]

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following

the screencapbook [OPEN TO ANYONE]

hey guys, me and matty_mcmullen have been doing daily screencap studies! 1 hour studydomes, but you can take it further if you'd like of course..

RULES
    1. for every screen you post you need AT LEAST to post 1 crit, otherwise there will be a bad crit to image ratio!
    2. post as daily as possible
    3. post reference image with your study
    4. feature the thread in your signature (optional, just to get the word out/inspire)

REFERENCE
    http://www.cinemasquid.com/blu-ray/movies/screenshots
    http://www.moviescreenshots.blogspot.com/
    http://screenmusings.org/
    http://www.leavemethewhite.com/index2.html

enough text, some pictures of what we've already done!
    matty
    ryanoir
    matty
    ryanoir
    matty
    matty
    ryanoir
    andrew sonea
    andrew sonea
    andrew sonea
    andrew sonea
    andrew sonea
    ryanoir (markers)

alright, don't think i made it clear;
    IF YER WANNA JOIN, TELL US, SO I CAN EDIT THIS POST WITH YOUR NAME IN IT AND THEN YOU CAN START DOING IT WITH US! WE DON'T WANT TO PRESSURE YOU INTO DOING IT DAILY, BUT THAT'S THE FASTEST WAY OF IMPROVING!
    me and matty are starting with grayscale, as you can if you'd like also, so that we learn about values and light, this makes our focus just on these, and not have to worry about color at this stage, improving values and lighting faster!

NOW OPEN TO ANYONE

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ryan mcshane; January 24th, 2011 at 10:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great idea guys! I'll definitely consider doing it. I'll send you a message if I'm down for it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wroblewski-art For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good idea bro bro. I might be interested! do you guys all paint the same stills?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,437 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wrobleski-art: You definitely should join. The more the merrier.

Metal Fingers: ryan and matty did at the beginning, then split off. I just started doing these studies on my own when I saw them doing it (this was before any idea of a group came up) so all of mine have been different from theirs. Also they are sticking to greyscale for a while, but I decided to try and do them in colour as it is my weak point and I have been ignoring it for too long.

Yes! Thanks for starting this. I am excited to get going, even put it in my sig so now I will feel guilty if I don't keep on top of it. It'll be tough for me to do daily updates for this (especially once I get back into school starting Monday), but I will try my best and maybe I will get better at time management.

I know you suggested we take a break this weekend, but I already started one when I saw this thread.

First one I already did a few days ago but you didn't post, so here it is. And the second one I just finished a few minutes ago.

New Rule: Post the original too so that critiques are easier. (damn it makes mine look bad when they are next to each other--I painted them side by side, and when they are above each other my mistakes are 10 times more obvious)

Last edited by Andrew Sonea; January 2nd, 2011 at 02:39 AM.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 913 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    best of luck to you both[and anyone else who decides to join]!
    I'll try to drop by often to leave a crit

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    watch the angle and width of your figures andrew, this one looks like hes slightly leaning to the left and he's a little squashed , colors are great though!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts
    Follows
    Following

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an epic new year's resolution! I already have daily drawings to do this year though.

Andrew_Sonea, the Aragog screen cap is really dark and uniform in value. I know it was a sober scene, but I think it would be a good idea to push the lighting so it doesn't look so muddy. And I echo what ryanoir said about the second one.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to deerinheadlights For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Count me in fellas, I'll be doing grayscales for a little bit because frankly...color scares the shit out of me. Will post one later on.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to jNeumann For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a la bapsi: Thanks! Feedback is most appreciated.

ryanoir: Good point! I didn't even notice that one too much (was more focused on messed up field on right side). I notice now too that I did the same thing on Hagrid and Harry in the study I have in this post.

Parsakoira: Get posting bro!

jNeumann: Colour scares me too. Can't wait to see what you post!

Quote Originally Posted by deerinheadlights View Post
    This is an epic new year's resolution! I already have daily drawings to do this year though.

Andrew_Sonea, the Aragog screen cap is really dark and uniform in value. I know it was a sober scene, but I think it would be a good idea to push the lighting so it doesn't look so muddy. And I echo what ryanoir said about the second one.
    Thanks for the feedback! I just realized I broke my own rule there by not posting the original. So here is the comparison. You are right that I fucked up the values, the sky need to be way lighter, shadows in Hagrid's coat darker etc. And the scene in the original is pretty muddy and dark, but yeah I made it worse by messing up saturation in places (cough foreground cough).

Last edited by Andrew Sonea; January 2nd, 2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    fkin sick I've been wanting to do some more screencap studies latley! count me in

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow looks like we have some more recruits! this is gonna be awesome. Just stopped here to make some quick crits before i get back to work.

Andrew Sonea- With the hitchhiker one the right side of the image is more or less on the money but what i want you to pay attention to is small things like the measurement between the knee and hip in relation to the horizon line. You should notice immediately whats wrong as well as how easy this is to fix. Look out for things like this, find those relationships then make a judgement, in this case the horizon needs to come down slightly and the boys legs lengthened.

Parsakoira- Welcome! And what a great start.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to matty_mcmullen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Parsakoira: Great start! And because this thread is all about learning I will try to give you some crits (although it's tough when you do such high quality stuff). The main issue I see is with colours in certain areas. For the most part the colours are really good, but I notice the shadows on his face have a lot more green in them than you have put, and the hue of his jacket is a little off. The only other thing I see is that the edges in the background are inconsistent. In the original they are all super soft, and in yours some are soft and some are hard. It flattens the image a lot, stopping the background from receding. Overall it is a really good study though.

OmertA: Welcome in! Get posting!

matty_mcmullen: Thanks for the crit! I definitely see what you're saying. I am surprised at the number of observational mistakes I am making in these (I hope it is because I am focusing too much on colour and not because I suck). Anyways, I will keep an eye out for that sort of relationship.

Here is today's study. I found it kind of tough to paint a sci-fi type helmet and metal as they are both new subjects for me. Overall I am fairly pleased with it (can't see any too major mistakes at the moment other than the head being too fat). It helps that I painted it like this so that the original was directly above.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Parsakoira: woo great start man! colors looking great! keep at it
    Andrew: what movie's that off? that looks like a fun one! D: try some softer brushes on the helmet? for the awesome gradients in the original! great shit!
    OmertA: yay, edited you up the top

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew That looks sick man. Really dont even have a crit for you. More like that. With a quickness.

I did a few rough block ins of photos before I decided on one. Did this in just under an hour. Not as easy as I though it'd be :/

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jNeumann For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Count me in, although I won't be able to do one hour a day, but I wanted to do them regularly anyways

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll try not to post in the future too much without a picture here, but thought I'd reply to a few things now.

ryanoir: Thanks man! I used some soft brushes, but I am not very good with them yet. Up until about two weeks ago I used exclusively hard edged brushes. I find when I use soft brushes I lose the form a lot so end up putting in a few hard edged strokes there on top. Also the movie was Star Trek. He was the police dude from near the beginning who was in the car chase scene in the desert (he was there for like two minutes in the entire movie). And on a partially related note--you need to put some kickass picture for this thread (ah, the word escapes me at the moment, it's like an avatar for a thread and appears in front of it in the sketchbook section with all the threads).

jNeumann: Yeah these are tough. But they get easier the more you do. Keep this up and you will amazed at how much you can do in an hour. You actually did a pretty good start--the heads have good proportions and despite not having many values are quite believable. When doing these studies try to get all the values exactly the same as the screencap; yours are too light over all (the jackets especially). If you want to make it a bit easier to start, you can either choose an image from a black and white movie or convert a colour image to greyscale and then copy it. Also try to use bigger brushes. Especially when there is a time limit like this efficiency is key. For example, the shadow under the closest guy's chin/jaw consists of AT LEAST a dozen strokes. Why not choose a bigger brush and do it in two or three strokes? It is faster and looks better that way. Afterwards once everything is blocked in like that (which will take like half the time as using small brushes), you can go in and fine tune some of the areas with smaller brushes. Work big shapes to small. Keep going!

Avis Nocturna: Yay you accepted my invitation! You are very welcome here--your screencap studies are some of the strongest I've seen (fantastic colours). And I know you say you can't do an hour a day, but you should totally try.

Last edited by Andrew Sonea; January 3rd, 2011 at 02:21 AM.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    too many hours for what it is, had a lot of errors with the painting, and then i decided to start over, so i'm pretty happy with it now

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryanoir, you should watch your head construction, especially with the last one, the heads are too squished flat and are missing some chin there. Good lines though, simple and neat!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just so i don't loose it...tommorows screen!
    anyone can join me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

43. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, let's see if I can say something constructive

Parsakoira:

I just love that reflection on her eye, very well done!
    Her nose got a little smaller and wandered a little, too But I'm nitpicking. Great job.

ryanoir:
    haha, I think they show that movie on tv tonight while I'm writing this
    I really like the quality of your lines here, very confident and well defined. As Parsakoira already said, there are a few proportional issues. Do you use a grid? It helps spotting those errors.

jNeumann: The faces look pretty nice so far! Although I think you should use a grid to get the proportions right. (Like placing all those head in the frame). You're values are pretty much high key now. It's hard translate coloured pictures into b/w pictures. photoshop makes that easier for you to start out. Be confident, you can hardly ruin a digital sketch. As I also tend to paint to light, I try to always pick a value thats slightly darker than I'd like to use in the first place (That value'S also too light most of the time. I really need to practice that, too!) Keep up working on these

Anrew: Yeah, I just couldn't resist! Thanks for the invitation! I really like your robot. But as already mentioned: try to use bigger brushes. You need some gradients there. I like to paint one area in one base colour first and then I softly brush over it with a few colour variation for colourreflections. This gives the shadows a transparent look and gives the picture a vivid look.

And here's what I did. That took two hours instead of just one. I'm so slow! But Then I find an edge here, and another there and something here, and I could still paint on and on and on! There so much more that need to get fixed D:

Name:  ladyinthewater02study.jpg
Views: 2714
Size:  174.7 KB

*lol* I just laughed my ass off, when I saw that animated thumbnail. Just love that scene.

Last edited by Nele Klumpe; January 3rd, 2011 at 06:16 PM.
    “Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nele Klumpe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    cool! this place is like dessert. where's the whipped cream?

47. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great initiative , is it possible for me to join ?

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,667 Times in 2,013 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    awesome idea! you dont have to add my name to the list, but when i get around to doing something ill definately post it in here!

really awesome stuff you guys!!!!!!

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ryanoir: Your lines look nice and clean. As others have mentioned though pay close attention to how accurate they are on the heads especially. Also I used your screen choice, what movie is it from?

Parsakoira: AvisNocturna took the words out of my mouth. You really have to nitpick to find faults here. A TINY TINY TINY thing is that the little bits of reflected light in the shadows on the face are exaggerated a bit.

AvisNocturna: Thanks for the advice. I actually do try to use big brushes, just near the end I use small ones and kill the form. So I'll be more careful about that then. Yours looks really great. I think it is quite accurate, only things I see are that the hair needs to be wavier and her cast shadow on the wall can be a tad lighter and use a softer edge.

I tried to use the one Ryan posted, but man it was fucking hard. For some reason I can't paint a decent face in colour. It was soooooooo tough. I struggled to choose the right hue, then realized it is the wrong value, then realized it was too gray then....anyways. I kept painting and repainting parts of the face over and over and struggling to maintain a general likeness and forms. I went maybe 5 minutes over the hour by accident, and didn't have time to blend it out properly. In the end I am feeling okay (but not great) about the colours, but hate the painting.

Last edited by Andrew Sonea; January 4th, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
    Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

52. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,155 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, the drawing looks good in the last one. I think you nailed some of the dark tones in her face, I'm not sure about the light ones though.

Great energy in here guys, keep going.. =)

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Kungfoowiz For This Useful Post:

Manchester, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys great idea forming a group, count me in will get on it tmora! is the point to not use the eyedropper tool and just basic brushes ? or is it anything goes?

Cheers

Livestreamin'

Blog

Available for Freelance!-Contact Michael.jay@live.co.uk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by fudgeloaf View Post
    Hey guys great idea forming a group, count me in will get on it tmora! is the point to not use the eyedropper tool and just basic brushes ? or is it anything goes?

Cheers
    Well i prefer not to use the color picker to pick colors from the ref image, trains your color-eye and welcome to the group!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2