Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: My sketchbook

Thanks
    My life drawing classes started up again this week, still feeling a little uninspired at the moment, hopefully things will improve and I can return to my 30+ hours a week drawing! If I want to get better I definitely need to regain my focus.

For now, here are 2 x 5 minute poses and 1 x 15 minute pose in biro.
    Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Hiya Dayle Your life drawing is getting loads more confident. it's nice to see. Especially the last one, his legs and feet are pretty spot on. The dogs are great, I think you would benefit from doing tonal studies next. Maybe try the dogs again but just block in the tones and shapes in charcoal or pastels before you start going into detail. I'll try and find a tutorial I found about it that helped me a great deal.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I haven't drawn anything in 5 days!!! Not good, been distracted, unmotivated and unfocused.

So, here is a picture I did for a friend earlier this month, it was a good opportunity to use what I have learnt from doing Chow.

Next week I hope get back into it properly, I promise I am still taking this seriously, just stupid life problems getting in the way!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,209 Times in 884 Posts
    Hi Dayle

Sorry to hear you're feeling uninspired and unmotivated, life does that sometimes, I hope you get stuff sorted soon and hopefully see you at life drawing..anyway here's that tutorial I mentioned:

I hope you don't mind me posting it here, I can move it if you'd prefer to keep your sketchbook more organised. The technique is extremely simple but effective, you've probably seen it before but I recommend using charcoal on tinted paper and drawing simple shapes and then when you move onto shading more complicated things like people etc it'll make alot more sense. Also I was thinking of maybe trying to organise a sketch-meet if I don't see you at life-drawing? I can't always afford it and just meeting for a coffee with some other artists might help me with motivation too, I know a couple of other people that might be up for it

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Angel thanks for the video, of course you can post it here! I'll message you about meeting up but yes definitely.

I should probably scan in all my gestures and observational drawings from the past few weeks and update my sb. I went to the Walker Art Gallery in Liverpool last week for inspiration, to see John William Waterhouse's Echo and Narcissus, it was beautiful!

Thanks
    Here are some examples of my lunchtime sketches from the past few weeks.... not much to show but all pretty quick, loose observational sketches (mostly between 1 - 5 minutes).

Thanks
    Here is a quick update.

Managed to get myself back to life drawing last thursday, really enjoyed being back, 2 x 10 minute poses in biro and a long 1 hr pose with a B pencil.

The next is a portrait I have done for a friend as a present (she hasn't seen it yet so, sshhh!) and took about 10 hours. I had a jpg printed at Jessops photo shop with a lustre finish and it has really improved the values, the darks are almost black, not dark grey. It has inspired me to do a proper digital piece just to see how it will print off... goal for 2012 maybe!

Finally thanks AngelintheUK again, I tried the technique but need to get proper charcoal, chalks and the paper to do it correctly. Still I wanted to have a go and post something for your effort. I will start sketching basic shapes and objects like this more often as it is really helps to see the tonal ranges.

Thanks
    Oh, I almost forgot this! A little pen doodle at work (25mm high) imported into photoshop with an overlay layer of colour, total time, 5 minutes!

Thanks
    Not sure if the head is too big, or, the legs are too short! Anyway, here is a 40 minute pose from life drawing last Tuesday.

Thanks
    Hi conceptart people. I think I have my motivation back!, although my time is being sucked away by Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim... its Bethesda and those rpg games that really inspire me to work on my art. So I guess it's more "research" than distraction!

Anyway, I am rapidly approaching 1 year on this place, the last 2 / 3 months the pace has dropped off and so has the reading. I have been doing daily sketches, life drawing and always, always looking at other peoples work for study, inspiration and enjoyment.

I want to set myself a goal now. Over the past two years there have been three paintings I wanted to paint. My goal is that I shall complete one before January 1st 2012!

For now, life drawing - 20 mins & 40 mins using a mechanical pencil (0.7mm) some sketches from my imagination of ideas and just playing around. sheet from my daily gestures, people in town over the past couple of months... might stop soon, getting cold and people don't sit around as much.

Hope everybody stays safe over the winter.

Thanks
    Hi, Just thought I'd drop by. I really like your life drawings, but maybe try and go darker and really try to push those values. May I ask...where are these life drawing sessions in Sheffield? I am not far from there and looking for some sort of class I can take.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Damien Levs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Happy New Year CA people... I kinda lost the momentum and haven't posted since November. For various reasons I had to back off the art stuff and fix other things in my life, but, back now... at least I really hope so cos I have missed this place!

Still drawing, some reading, always looking, hopefully improving, time to push on again and see what happens.

Firstly some finished abstract pieces in ink, as an architect I try and avoid doing these types of drawings whilst here (they don't help with technical development or theory) but they are something I am proud of and thought a good way to start my post.

The next 3 are sketches of random characters, again in ink, using reference images [please note that the girl in the rain is actually from a photo found on the internet, can't remember where though].

The girl on the bike is from my imagination - about 15minutes.

A quick sketch of a painting by Jules Lefebvre, called Chloe.

Finally, back to life drawing class, a couple of examples, 2 x 5 minutes and a 20 minute pose.

Thanks
    2 examples from tonights life drawing... ok-ish, first 5 minutes in ball point pen, second 15 minutes hb pencil. Did a few others but no real progress, kinda just getting back into it. Will need to start reading and doing theory again soon. I did a little alien with dual ray guns whilst at work, just a couple mins for fun.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast