Sketchbook: My sketchbook - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tutorial 3

This evening I have been trying to render a sphere and add colour. Using Idrawgirls tutorial on warm and cold colours. link at bottom.

I think my three weakest areas are

1) control of edges; sharp / blurry for focus / depth.

2) Adding colour to greyscale, this is really difficult and need more tutorials before I can really attempt to understand it.

3) Achieving visual depth / perspective using values.

To be honest I should probably just give up totally. I know I will never be as good as I want and the things I see in my head will probably never be realised, but I am here now and the only way to improve is to work my arse off from now, til... forever. So i will just see how good I can get, thanks for all your patience and help (who am I even talking to? lol)...whatever, too tired, try again tomorrow \o/

http://idrawgirls.com/tutorials/2011...warm-and-cool/

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tonights efforts... fixing her anatomy and started designing the beast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My latest community challenge entries. I did 3 in about 10 days. Think I'll take a couple of weeks off and use the time to regroup.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    +1 to wishing I had started drawing earlier! It's cool seeing your dedication and progress! Those pencil drawings are create. The staircase drawing shows some nice rendering ability developing! Man, your digital paintings have improve so greatly over the course of this sketchbook! Excellent work

I too am starting to try and learn anatomy. In the past I tried going through a lot of Bridgeman studies, but more and more I'm finding that focusing on one or two things at a time and really just drawing those all of the time while also doing the studies can really help lock in the understanding of the anatomy! At least for me it's working wonders! You seem to have the right idea about how to approach learning! Really cool. As a fellow learner, I respect your dedication! I'll be checking back again soon!

Hendecagoner
    My Sketchbook Thread

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendecagoner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pencils are great, looks like you're focusing on digital now, I think that's the right move!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to M.Calza For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice productivity. Good idea @ taking a couple of weeks off to recharge. I think that attention to individual details will make everything you do better collectively. Neat stuff recently!

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Mate please dont say about giving up unless there is a serious/grave reason to do that.Hmm how they say it, there is no ceiling? or something like that. You dont need to reach something, you need to continuously grow. Simply after some point of your journey you will start getting paid while also keeping up learning more and more. Also if you stick to the fundamentals [great studies up there] and keep studying with your brain always there, you will improve really fast.
    There is probably a way to improve fast but it has a drawback. Lets call it the way of the unfinished works. That means everything you do from now on is to continuously study and immediately experimenting the knowledge. When you want to test it by life drawing/painting, observe and paint only what you wanted to experiment. After that do some simple imagination stuff again to test that thing, when you tested it enough leave the piece and think, and keep going to the next. Of course you will not have any finished pieces. How do i know that? well look at my work, only recently i started creating pictures that i can call somehow finished.
    In overall think more so that you can improve with even the smallest new research/experiment work. Next time you render a sphere, do it till it looks real, only a sphere nothing else, if it doesnt get real, push it, spend all the free time you have to find why the fuk it doesnt look real, google it break it in smaller subjects and do your problem solving.

Probably i am tiring you with this crappy text but you are probably a little frustrated and by rushing things you are getting more frustrated.
    The studies up there are really good, because they contain thinking, however i wouldnt care that much about color now. Color is in values. And the way of going from greyscale to color is not as complex as you might think, but with not that good values to support it , yes it becomes a problem.
    Take your break and come back relaxed and more like a researcher. We are all great as long as we keep up

Anyway sorry about that , if you even have any specific technical or whatever question that i can help with, feel free to pm me, pm's never go unoticed !!!

but i keep checking also the previous studies you did and they are great and thoughtful, hmmm you will do great, i would love to help as much as i can. Subscribed

Last edited by kingkostas; February 15th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    M.Calza – Thanks man, yeah I am concentrating on digital at the moment. I like to use the summer months to sit out in the park reading and drawing, so whilst it’s winter, hot drinks and photoshop.

Vulgar – Thanks for returning to my little world! Those eow’s are so much fun, I love watching everybody’s ideas develop, always super impressed with everyones ideas and finished work. but yeah, a little break to learn some stuff before coming back to them... hmmm, vampires you say *no Dayle*

Kingkostas – Thanks for visiting my sketchbook and the comments, not tiring at all, very insightful and positive!

I know, I shouldn’t write about giving up, I was just tired and frustrated, it seems like lots of hard work with little progress. I’m not giving, I am 100% committed and here to learn, besides, it would totally undermine what this place stands for, and would be rude to everybody who has taken the time to help me. I like your point of view, researcher / experimenting. I will do some thinking so I know what questions I can ask you ;-) Thank you and have a great weekend.

I have two issues of imagineFX to read, going through the tutorials and design styles / inspiration. I have a book by Fronia Wissman on the life and works of Bouguereau which I am reading before deciding on a masterstudy to do and I have started reading Gottfried Bammes Artists guide to anatomy. I also have about 5 ebook downloads from this place [see link below] that I want to get into.

http://www.metmuseum.org/learn/for-e...-for-educators

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo dude your life drawing sketches are gettin there. Certainly improving. Two suggestions for your digital work: first, I would double check your references. Don't be afraid to take your own either. You'll have a much easier time if you can get the entire scene (or something close) set up and lit. You'll images will be much stronger since you will pretty much just have to copy the photo. And secondly, try seeing what you can do with a single photoshop brush, say the round default or one of the sponges. Try mimicking textures with that. Your work will have more of a unified feel. Keep up the hard work bud

>>Sketchbook<<

Blogger
    Tumblr

It's progress, NOT perfection.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ghast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ghast - Thanks. I did another character practice but just used the hard round (well a little airbrush too). I get easily distracted with custom brushes, and I'm on a never ending search for the perfect brush / settings... I know, it's not the brush that's the problem but the person using them!

Kingkostas - currently on page 66 of your beast of a sketchbook, it is page after page of wonderful things!

Ok, me... This week so far, reading, browsing and generally thinking about the most efficient way to spend my time. The problem is, the most efficient way will start to take away the fun element, and I need that to look forward to after a day's work doing boring things. So I guess it's gonna take longer and be slower, but as long as I do something each day and focus on what I am doing I should get somewhere. I am going to do some basic value and edge studies this week though, I have a few things I need to resolve, with fuzziness vs sharpness and focus vs distractions. Also, anatomy, falling behind, so the Bammes book is a priority too.

My sketches.

- Some environment doodles whilst sitting on the tram, just drawing shapes and patterns.
    - Gestures, commuters on the tram and people at lunch. Need some warmer weather so they stay still longer! some of these are like 20 seconds. Anyway, just some daily exercises.
    - Sketches from Gottfield Bammes, Artists guide to anatomy, will do more for reference as I make my way through the book.
    - A guy on facebook conceptart page posted these 225 thumbnail sketches and asked people to work stuff up, just for fun... I like fun, so had a go. He gave me some positive feedback, encouragement and made a new friend \o/
    - Pencil sketches of some heads. Not impressed but wanted an evening with a pencil for a change (I will do more and take care with them, these were kinda rushed and not measured properly)
    - Finally my reimagined Tonberry character from Final Fantasy... I'd love to do a series on all my favourite monsters, but now it just serves as a mechanism to practice some process / tutorials from imaginefx and general studies.

After a 17 hour day with 13hrs of hard work I actually feel ok and would like to do more, but, must sleep now or I'll regret it tomorrow!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Dayle

Thanks for stopping by my sb, sorry I've not been here for a while. Seeing a vast improvement all round, your dedication is showing even though it probably doesn't feel like it I don't know if you've seen this video but it has some inspirational advice...

Hopefully see you at life drawing on Tuesday? It would be nice to set up a sketch-meet, I know we mentioned it last time, when the weather is a little warmer maybe?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Angel Intheuk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thomp0son - Ok, let me know when you post something

Angel - Hi, thanks for that vid, just what I needed... I dread to think where Dayle lives on that graph. but the message is clear. Yes, I will be at life drawing this tuesday (I have been very slack over the last few weeks). Thank you for the comments and yes, it would be great to meet up, maybe if it stays cold we can make it in a pub instead? Hope you have a nice weekend.

Today I have found a load of useful tutorials. Slowly making my way through them but I thought I'd go back to basics with values and shadows first. Some notes from this tutorial http://www.proko.com/shading-light-and-form-basics/ by Stan Prokopenko. I'll definitely be watching his other stuff.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been away for the weekend so only had time for a quick study. This is from imagination, looking at thos values and consistant lighting. It really amazes me just how different the values look when next to different shades and how your eye percieves light and dark. I need to explore much more about the ranges and relationships of values, also been posterizing photos and breaking them down into 3 / basic groups. interesting stuff and I realise there is an opportunity to change my approach and create much more dramatic images... tomorrow I'll have a play.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great improvement especially human figures and line works.

Perspective Made Easy by Ernest R. Norling is a good book for understanding perspective. It helps how to draw landscape and structures.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to k2mountain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are my thumbnail sketches for this weeks CHoW, trying to focus on values. Gonna be either 1, 4 or 7 (I'd like to do 8 but can't find any decent refs for the twist / head position)

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bravo!!! Great work on the value studies. And also nice experimentation, this will make you improve faster so dont worry, just keep enjoying it. The posterizing way is a good learning way
    If i get some more time, i will pass by chow to participate with all of you. Keep up the good work!!!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Kingkostas, after seeing your progression I realise how important values are.

[I also need to remember to flip the canvas to check my drawings.]

Here is my chow update. I am posting here as a record of the value studies and development from the sketches. By restricting myself to the 25% - 80% greyscale range when I have finished the step I create a duplicate layer, multiply and then airbrush erase the highlights to create more 3d form... I need to look at edges, occlusion shadows and reflected light more. Today felt positive though... long damn road ahead, but as always time has caught up with me and I must sleep!

Also, she was with reference but the dude wasn't. Back, shoulders and hips need correcting but the overall (i think) proportions are improving.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for commenting on my SB.

You're definitely on the right track! Just keep studying till your fingers hurt. Life studies life studies life studies.

I think you would also benefit from movie studies. They help A LOT in creating interesting scenes with value, colour and composition.

Looking forward to seeing you update more

36. The Following User Says Thank You to corza334 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Corza - Thanks man. Agreed, movie studies are something I should do.

Here is a quick update on my character design. Glimpses of progress but still lack of value control and too many mistakes to be happy. I will get better next time (or the time after that!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is me chow final... These always end up fuzzy. The early greyscales have strong edges but when blending they get lost and end up like this. So many great people around here, I keep finding more examples of amazing art, check out the finals for the submission by 'a sleepy goat'. More tomorrow.

Last edited by Dayle; March 11th, 2013 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As today marked the 2 year anniversary of the Japanese Tsunami I wanted to do something to pay my respects.

Japan is a country that I hugely admire and of all the cities is the one I would most like to visit and see. The culture, technology and architecture is among my favourite and to see all that devestation really upset me and is something I don't want to forget.

Tonight I painted this to remind me.

The left hand curve represents the Tsunami and the right hand curve represents the earthquake that caused it. The overall shape is based on the east coastline and the petal represents the epicentre of the quake. The eight cherry blossoms represent each of the major cities that were affected whilst the bud and use of branch represents hope and rebirth. The woman symbolises the people and the umbrella is for those that were protected.

Last edited by Dayle; March 17th, 2013 at 05:54 PM.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure which images are uploading and displaying correctly. Here is some stuff I've been working through... When the site is more stable I should edit and write some notes, but for now wanted to post these, as it's been a few days and looks like the momentum is dropping off... which it isn't, i've been working my arse off, promise!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Dayle, really nice sketchbook and a lot of progress to see. I especially like your livedrawings and figure sketches, they become better and livelier on each page of your sb. I think that centaur is my favorite, you really have some nice motion in his pose. Keep pushing and always enjoy it

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Mhugo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Mhugo I'm a big fan of your work.

Here is my latest industrial design of the week, Flame_Unquenchable gave me a crit saying to use the lasso tool more, to get crisper edges. This is something I've tried to avoid because "i am not very good with it", yes, all the more reason to use it I know. I was happy with the result and will use the lasso more.

This weeks character of the week; Leader of the pack.

My first attempt was to go for an Egyptian inspired Feline / cat woman. I didn't think it was an interesting design or image so started again. Second attempt is a nocturnal leader of bats. Again, female, vampish, gothic style and with a roof top night time composition. I am much happier with this and hope to push it into a full illustration.

Happy Easter everybody. I have a week off work and hope to get lots of arting done.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my final for this weeks chow. I went from really pleased to "must do better" in about 1 day! I need to improve so (aargh) much. More. soon. Gonna get some reading and studies done this week instead of chow.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Japanese tsunami tribute - Very beautiful concept. Elegant.

IDW - Great job on this. Looks like a professional illustration done by an actual designer of the Fed Ex truck which was the entire point of the activity! I think I voted for the last entry in that IDW because the simplicity of the other design but this one was the runner-up for a vote in my eyes. On another day, I might've just voted for this one. Strong showing.

CHOW - Not too shabby mate, the composition itself is well positioned and sets you up for success. The bats, statues and general "macabre" feel of the backround affects the image in a positive way. As for crits, the most obvious ones are probably the ones that you were having trouble working with and decided to just move onto the next challenge.

- Her elbow/arm seems oddly aligned with the top of her torso.
    - Her wings look very stiff-like, like they are made of teflon material or something too rigid to be a flexible wing, but that could be your intention. Maybe she is out of commission as a fallen angel.
    - I like how her face and hair was done but something is nagging at me that the top of the nose looks like it had plastic surgery done to it to make it look pointy and firm.
    - The corsett she's wearing around her lower torso could look tighter because I get the sensation that it's hanging somewhat loosely around her body.

Nothing else jumps out as a noticeable option for nitpickery. Good work! : )

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

50. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vulgar Seriously man, thank you for the comments and support here. I feel I have grown so much, but you know, the more you know, the more you need to learn right! I still feel like a total amatuer, so reading words like "elegant" "professional" and "designer" hold a lot of weight. Yes, unfortunately I had personal obligations so my chow was finished about 4 hrs early. I was struggling to address most of those issues you raised anyway so it's more of a convienent excuse! I hope to be back at EOW when it stops being so daunting! Thanks again.

A quick landscape piece for today, only ref for the dinosaur forms. I am seeing if I can apply what I am learning at the moment. (value studies, hue, value and Chroma) but more on that another time.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a quick painting I did this afternoon (2-3hrs?). Firstly I started in greyscale, trying to get a sense of mood and depth with dark edges and a light centre focal point. Using the shadows I tried to ground her to the floor and only imply the standing leg.

I always struggle with colour and how best to apply to black and white. Here are some variations that show (to me) the best settings to use for different parts of the painting. Top left, grayscale. Values
    Top middle, colour layer. Saturated colours.
    Top right, Overlay. Strong contrast.
    Bottom left, screen. Least contrast.
    Bottom middle, colour dodge. Good for extreme light and dark.
    Bottom right, overlay with automatic level and contrast adjustments. Also added gradient pass.

54. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mate, your studies are so amazing!!! And of course improvement is visible. You are really working hard and its paying off. I will try to do something tutorial like for the colors on greyscale soon. You keep up this great work because you are on the right track.Love the IDW concept.

56. The Following User Says Thank You to kingkostas For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 86