Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks

The Totally, Extremely,New, Beginner, Learning Sketchbook

Anyway I always wanted to draw stuff but of course I grew up with this only talented people can draw mentality so I rarely. It didn't help that I was visually impaired artistically that is so that only strengthened the belief. So I basically went through life looking at other artist wondering what was there "secret" to drawing.

Well I just realized a year a ago that I could draw. Yep here I am 20 years old and just found out a year that I could draw something and it looks like whatever the it was I was trying to draw. Granted it was terrible but I can do it. And it started with Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson. Now I have this crazy idea about wanting to become a artist but I think deep down I was meant to do this.lol Not quite sure what area I want to be in as an artist but I'll get a feel for it along the way. Now I just have to get past the occasional procrastination and other challenges get to practicing.
    Last edited by DanielsK5; June 24th, 2011 at 11:49 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    More perspective and a still life that didn't go well

Thanks
    don't hesitate to write a little about yourself ;-) welcome to the show. and don't forget to draw lots!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Horsey! You know horses were one of the first things I started drawing too lol. Yes keep drawing, you will soon see improvements if you draw a little everyday!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Kfeeras I'm very reserved even online but I guess I could post a little more about me. lol

@Kalinn Yes horses are fun to draw.

My computer died on me and the laptop wouldn't work right away with my printer/scanner. Anyway here is the stuff I have been working on since then.Still working on perspective. I did more still life and a couple of personal projects. I need to finish the painting with the flower before it dies and there are quite a few mistakes in the painting too. The one of the dog is from a show I was watching so I paused the t.v. to try and sketch it real quick. Mistakes made there too but it fun to draw.

Thanks
    Today I decided to try adding some shading to the apple. One was done with pencil and the other digital. They both turned out terrible. I'm always shading hard edges when they need to be soft. Oh well that's what practice is for right.

Thanks
    When your first learning to shade things it might help to spray paint a few items white and lay them on white drapery. That way instead of drawing the different tones of the apple plus the lighting from the set up you can focus exclusively on the tones of the object.
    White blocks of the basic shapes are great for beginner level shading practice.

When shading an object you need to think of the volume of the object. Think of it simply and it will seem simpler. Block out your object, and figure out what direction the planes are facing. The planes facing the light are brightest and get less light as they move away from the source. Then add your reflected lights.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    you're doing all the right things, practice practice practice!

i'd leave the shading practice for much later tho, right now it'll be a ton of work for very little payoff, and you'll get very frustrated. once you start to understand volumes and depth and all that, then you can use shading to add to your finished pieces.
    for now i'd stick to line drawings in pencil (and try to stay away from that eraser, learn from your mistakes instead of hiding them)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NeonDuck For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi, DanielsK5. I think you have a good start, nice studies on perspective. Keep it up and you'll grow quickly!

Rhubix
    : That's a pretty valuable advice that helped me understand a bit more about form too, ha! Thanks.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jouzinka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Rhubix When your first learning to shade things it might help to spray paint a few items white and lay them on white drapery. That way instead of drawing the different tones of the apple plus the lighting from the set up you can focus exclusively on the tones of the object.
    White blocks of the basic shapes are great for beginner level shading practice.

When shading an object you need to think of the volume of the object. Think of it simply and it will seem simpler. Block out your object, and figure out what direction the planes are facing. The planes facing the light are brightest and get less light as they move away from the source. Then add your reflected lights.
    Thank You so much for the advice. I kept on wondering how I could set up a still life with out the different tone.

NeonDuck you're doing all the right things, practice practice practice!

i'd leave the shading practice for much later tho, right now it'll be a ton of work for very little payoff, and you'll get very frustrated. once you start to understand volumes and depth and all that, then you can use shading to add to your finished pieces.
    for now i'd stick to line drawings in pencil (and try to stay away from that eraser, learn from your mistakes instead of hiding them)
    Your right it is frustrating right now. I'll try again later on. I haven't been using the eraser until tonight. But I won't be using it anymore for a while.

j
    ouzinka Hi, DanielsK5. I think you have a good start, nice studies on perspective. Keep it up and you'll grow quickly!
    Thanks I was getting a little worried that I wasn't starting off right.

Well this is what drew today more perspective, cube, and a still life. It took a long time to do the two point presective with out screwing it up and I think I came close to what I had in mind in the last one. I searched around and am doing yoitisi tutorials http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=146 while trying to combine what I learn in perspective made easy. Hopefully I get better at perspective and drawing still life keeping this up.

Thanks
    Great perspective studies, you're already starting to improve, keep at it. Lets see some more colour and and make sure you practice what you dont like drawing, if you let it get past you now itll only get harder.

Also here's a tutorial that you might find helpful. http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm
    -Red

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaunay For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Januaray 11,2010

Jaunay Great perspective studies, you're already starting to improve, keep at it. Lets see some more colour and and make sure you practice what you dont like drawing, if you let it get past you now itll only get harder.

Also here's a tutorial that you might find helpful. http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm
    Thank You for the advice and the link. I'll keep that in mind and read the link tomorrow.

Just more perspective studies this time tried stack the blocks on top of one another to make a building. Didn't go well. My still life didn't either it was supposed to be fan but it had more details than I thought. Well long story short I couldn't pull it off. I also didn't add the shading like I wanted to(yes I was going to try it again) but the lighting in the room was kind of soft(hope I explained it correctly). Maybe later when I get better hopefully. The good news is that I didn't erase and kept the mistakes in both of them.

Thanks
    These last two days of not posting has taught me that I need to post at a different time besides midnight. Especially if someone is spending the night and using the guest room where the computer is at. Anyhow here is what I have done lately. Perspective, cubes, still life, and something from imagination(which is what i get when watching the cooking channel). The last still life I erased the mistakes.

Thanks
    Good to see you're still around and kicking it in the butt.

Keep at it.
    -><-My sketchbook. Please, if you have time, crit as if your life depended on it.
    Or maybe check out my friends, they deserve it more.
    DeterminedAnimator | Naidy | Kalin | Leo_7 | saltfox | DanielsK5 | Lunatic Hermit
    Drawing group:
    "The fate of us all lies deep in the dark when time stands still at the Iron Hill."

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jouzinka For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    jouzinka Good to see you're still around and kicking it in the butt.

Keep at it.
    Thanks that's encouraging to hear.

Anyway I went to art supply and got a (err small sample pack?) of some charcoal (vine and pastel with a couple of pencils)and decided to experiment with that so here is five minute sketch just using the vine just to see how it is. I need to practice more to get the hang of it. A still life which I actually used a HB 4 pencil. I thought it would never come in handy ha ha. I also had to stop myself from drawing another t.v. he he. I seem to be interested in drawing them for some odd reason. This still life did turn out worse than the last one though(not that any of it is that good anyway). I thought I had everything right till the very end. Oh well just means I need to pay more attention and practice more.

I think for the next couple of days I'm going to get back to studying the basic shapes and worry a little less about still life.
    Last edited by DanielsK5; January 15th, 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast