Tutorial sections overlooked?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Tutorial sections overlooked?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Tutorial sections overlooked?

I'm just taking a glance here at the art discussion and looking at it about 4/5 are basically help me out please threads, this is art discussion and I haven't seen much of it around which is quite disappointing.(I'm guessing when this forum was made art discussion was probably more inclined to favourite artists, era's or styles rather than what we see here today).

Most of these questions here do get answered which is counter productive really, there is a tutorials section so I guess it'd be better to just document your knowledge rather than repeat every 2 weeks or so.

And again looking at the tutorials sections there isn't enough there to blanket most of these questions that pop up so frequently here, just saying maybe we need a little bit more input to the tutorials section. Just enough so that maybe the age old comment "search it" actually applies to most of these questions.

Just a thought, and if this has already been brought up I'm sorry for not being here to see it

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Arfan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Arfan,

I completely agree that there is less art discussion and more help me please in this forum than maybe there should be. And less updated tutorials than a lot would hope for.

So I do agree with you, but I also should say that the "search it" still applies now as people could say search all forums for a topic rather than a single forum.

Your main point is correct though

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you can help with adding to the stickies, I'm sure they will more than welcomed. I had to PM a broken link in one of them yesterday.

The Fine Art section has loads of useful information.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardescoere View Post
    Hi Arfan,

I completely agree that there is less art discussion and more help me please in this forum than maybe there should be. And less updated tutorials than a lot would hope for.

So I do agree with you, but I also should say that the "search it" still applies now as people could say search all forums for a topic rather than a single forum.

Your main point is correct though
    So I tried to use the search engine that we have at CA for line weight and I get a whole lot of pointless stuff for someone who might be trying to find out about it. http://conceptart.org/forums/search....rchid=10888157 (forgot how to make it linkable). I accept that for someone determined enough you could wade through that and find relevant stuff but for the average joe it is a bit daunting. + the search either gives me line or weight not both combined.

@ Black Spot If only everyone going to the Art Discussion knew about this. But thanks anyway I don't usually go into the Fine art section but it is a lot more helpful than i expected.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    If you can help with adding to the stickies, I'm sure they will more than welcomed. I had to PM a broken link in one of them yesterday.

The Fine Art section has loads of useful information.
    Too true, I love the Fine Art section.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recently made a post asking for help, and while i do find it annoying for long time users of forums to have to repeat themselves, you must look at the perspective of new comers. Myself, i tried the search function for what i was after, and being such a well established website, with alot of content - it can be very time consuming and daunting looking through all of the threads available.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've actually got to agree with Arfan and synical. I've tried to use the search function to look for specific things and generally ended up with a similar mish-mash, without any idea which were the useful or relevant links. I'm pretty used to searching for stuff for the most part, but if I want to find resources to explain (for instance) concepts like line of action, it can be a bit difficult to find what I'm after that way.

I've had success with the search feature here in the past, but it's still tricky.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just type in "line weight conceptart.org" in google and I almost always get a good results. Its a good way to use the power of google and direct towards a specific site.

My Website I am available for work

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GuruGaia For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've used google a lot to search CA threads.

However, I just want to note don't just use "conceptart.org" but try using "site:conceptart.org" when using keywords.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 869 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That'll come in handy next time I need to search here. Thanks.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doesn't concer the main point sadly, but useful info nonetheless.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 672 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've found the best way of searching these forums is to type in google with "insert -your-key-words-here site:conceptart.org/forums"

For example "Bumskee creature of the week site:conceptart.org/forums"

and you'd be directed to the specific COW threads that has Bumskee's appearance.. instead of putting a lot of work sorting through the name bumskee and anything related, google serves you everything on a plate, if you use the right technique.

Last edited by DefiledVisions; January 3rd, 2011 at 05:28 PM.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfan View Post
    Doesn't concer the main point sadly, but useful info nonetheless.
    That's because your main point was already addressed here actually. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203046

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    That's because your main point was already addressed here actually. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203046
    oh wow, sorry for adding to clutter in that case then.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.