C.O.W. #200! Hyper Intelligent Sea Dweller. VOTING!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Your favorite Hyper Intelligent Sea Dweller is?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Si_Swe

4 3.88%
  • Art4All

8 7.77%
  • skullbeast

3 2.91%
  • nram

0 0%
  • PokketMowse

23 22.33%
  • Farquad

13 12.62%
  • logistic puppet

1 0.97%
  • (lark

42 40.78%
  • Labrynthine

9 8.74%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #200! Hyper Intelligent Sea Dweller. VOTING!

ROUND #200 VOTING

Topic: Land, Sea and Air - Hyper Intelligent Sea Dweller

Single Vote (<20 entries)...

Deadline for the voting: Sunday Feb. 5th, 2011

This voting round is the first of a two round set to determine our new mascot. This week of voting will determine the winner of this round (who will get their star as per usual), but also, the top 3 will go on to the second round of voting to determine our new mascot.

Remember to show some love, thank the people who's entries you liked but couldn't vote for. Also if you've got the time, add some crits.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Si_Swe; January 30th, 2011 at 11:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Si_Swe

Concept: Aqualith

The Aqualith, keepers of knowledge and history of the oceans. From the reign of the leviathans in millennia past to the mass pollution of the Pacific ocean in the late 21st century. Aqualith are few and far between, now, remaining hidden to avoid the dragnets off the pacific coasts of Asia. Their knowledge of the depths have only been hinted at, their once bioluminescent symbols being mostly destroyed from long ago. Find out more in the BBC documentary Denizens of the Depths narrated by Charles Benjamin Attenborough.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Art4all

Concept: Occylathan
    Occylathan lives in the darkest deepest bottom of the earth, no one has ever seen, it only swims to the 200m sea levels to feed itself, having mysterious powers similar to hypnotism, Occylathan has no trouble at all in capturing its prey , it simply uses its 4 tentacle 'like' and just control all the prey directly to its mouth.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SaintLConcept For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: skullbeast

Concept: jellied whale
    This large ocean beast survives by controlling its prey in a macabre march of death. Helplessly mind controlled, the unsuspecting victims also endure a cranial explosion just before being devoured. Everybody knows that: brains are just tastier after being exploded.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skullbeast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Nram

Concept: Karellen
    Due to the small scale of this creatures, the human eye is deceived into thinking this species is a harmless one. But what they lack in scale they make up in intelligence. Sometimes described as a superorganism, they act like a hive mind and hunt in large numbers using a Symbiotic intelligence while ambushing their preys with new elaborate strategies, that are always adapting to circumstances, making them fearsome opponent's. The membrane protecting the oversized brain acts as a resilient shield and at the same time an amplifier of brainwaves

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nram For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  seacreature.jpg
Views: 2445
Size:  208.7 KB

Artist: PokketMowse

Concept: Atlantean
    Little to nothing is truly known of these mysterious creatures. Seen only in the depths of only the coldest and darkest of ocean trenches, the ethereal beings have thus far avoided direct contact with any attempts to study and interact with them. But they seem almost eerily aware of the human presence and react with gentle wonderment to the surface relics that find their way down to the blackness below.

Please feel free to check out my SKETCHBLOG!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PokketMowse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Farquad

Concept: Vesigore

The Vesigore is so prolifically ancient and wise, that its own genius cannot be contained
    in one meager brain. Therefore, it outsources its thoughts into other ocean-dwellers by
    paralyzing their bodies with the pulsing lights on the sides of its body, and then using
    its great mind to possess them in their weakened state. This way, it can divide its
    memories amongst these organic harddrives essentially. Why the Vesigore chooses to
    live so deep and hidden when it could easily rule the known world, is a thought only a
    Vesigore could comprehend.....

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Farquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Logistic Puppet

Concept: Sampurian

In the deepest, darkest unknown regions of the ocean lives the Sampurian. Very few have ever seen this creature and some believe the dweller to be a simple fable. It is said that people who have encountered the Sampurian are left with dreams and memories of ancient times and stories of how different species came into existance. Because of this the Sampurian has gained rumours to be underwater gods, who are the fathers of all life on Earth.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warburton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: the maxozysts

The rulers of the seas of trioth are said to be the brains behind all of that planets life forms. Considered to be the most intelligent beings in the known universe (due to their ability to transfer highly accurate knowledge from elders to their children through to the beginnings of the species existence), the maxozysts have informed researchers that they shouldn't be afraid of them. That they were among the first species to evolve an intellect, and a sense of self.

they've played a part in creating most of the forms of life on trioth through sending their brain cells (which can detach individually from the greater core of their brains) into lower life forms and "redirecting" their evolution, as well as gaining the ability to receive the knowledge and experience of the species they have affected. They have done this over the course of eons, and when asked why they decided to alter evolutionary patterns? they claimed "we were bored, we knew and understood all of the functionality within the physics of the universe, we decided to make a utopia, one of balance with great terror, and great beauty. and through this creation, placing ourselves as the gods of our own world."

Name:  hyper intelligent sea dweller final.jpg
Views: 2479
Size:  237.2 KB

18. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Labrynthine

Concept: St. Erasmus Sea Snail

St. Erasmus sea snails are immense, extremely intelligent nudibranchs capable of telekinesis on a titanic scale. In order to protect itself the sea snail telekinetically manipulate the waters around them and pick up ships to drag down to the ocean floor. The sunken ships are then used as a makeshift shell to protect its vulnerable, gelatinous body. The psychokinetic energy emitted from the beast is so intense that the water and the air around the ships glows an eerie green, even when the beast is dormant. However, St. Erasmus sea snails are generally docile, and are even known to make pacts with nearby coastal towns. In exchange for the occasional ship with which to reinforce it shell, it will attack enemy ships and pirates and manipulate the nearby waters into a perpetually calm state. Because of the psychokinetic glow induced by the creature's powers and its interactions with ships, it is named after St. Erasmus or St. Elmo, patron saint of sailors.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Labrynthine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fuck. All my crits just got deleted somehow... I will resubmit them tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Because I will be doing crits for each category, instead of personalizing them as much as I can, each crit will be broken down as below. If you find them cold or harsh, I am trying to be as fair and honest as I possibly can. Compliments can come from loved ones or friends, I am not here for that.
    Art4All - Strengths: Unique design, tentacles, solid enough rendering.
    Weaknesses: The scale is off, the creature doesn’t look nearly as large as you wanted it to. Part of it is that those schools of fish completely confuse the scale, and because the creature isn’t obscured at all by the atmosphere of the water, it appears much smaller than it should.
    Accuracy to the brief: I see the creature as fairly primal. Despite the hypnotic techique I don’t get the impression of incredibly depth of thought in the creature. Plenty of animals use hypnotic techniques, from cobras to angler fish.

skullbeast - Strengths: Forms, textures, original design.
    Weaknesses: Loose rendering in many areas, use of white and black flattens the light and shadows. Palette could use more variety.
    Accuracy to the brief: For me, the exposed brain doesn’t give me the automatic impression of intelligence. I get the impression that it’s smarter than most beasts of the sea, but not “hyper-intelligent” per se.

nram - Strengths: Interesting textures, nice lighting.
    Weaknesses: Uninteresting design, over reliance on the shimmering light textures, lack of form in areas like the top fin and the mouth.
    Accuracy to the brief: I don’t really get the impression that this creature is more intelligent than any other fish in the sea.

PokketMowse - Strengths: Mood, great design and style, luminosity.
    Weaknesses: Black flattens shadows. Palette could be pushed a little further. Scenery lacks contexts, seems to just float in space.
    Accuracy to the brief: I get the impression of a mournful, wise and mystical creature, I feel it pushes while remaining true to the brief.

Farquad - Strengths: Excellent rendering and atmosphere. It definitely looks “cool”.
    Weaknesses: As much as I’m one to talk, the design lacks functionality. The jaw has been discussed, but the fins look completely useless, flailing in the water like ribbons. I also feel that the light in the background is a bit too yellow.
    Accuracy to the brief: Similarly to my impressions of skullbeast’s and Art4All’s I get the impression that the creature is an intelligent hunter, but I don’t get the impression of an extreme depth of thought.

logistic puppet - Strengths: Scale, mood.
    Weaknesses: Creature lacks definition and the design is completely unclear. Palette could be pushed much further.
    Accuracy to the brief: The creature looks ancient and primordial, but not intelligent.

(lark - Strengths: Great rendering, cool concept, original design.
    Weaknesses: Desaturated palette, rendering on the membraney fins could be tighter. Light application of blur filters towards the back could have helped.
    Accuracy to the brief: I get it, I think it works, the creature looks like part of an intelligent species, I voted for it.

Labrynthine - Strengths: Mood, dynamic scene, scale.
    Weaknesses: Overly cold palette, not enough contrast, creature’s form difficult to discern.
    Accuracy to the brief: I looks wise, I think the telekinesis works, it fits the brief as far as I’m concerned.

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tough choice between Farquad and (lark

In the end i voted for Farquad - although the creature could use a little more originality, the picture as a whole attracts me more than any other work

Like a mentioned other favs are (lark and PokketMowse

25. The Following User Says Thank You to emerging For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I ended up voting for Farquad; although the creature didn't exactly come across as the most wise-looking, it showed the extent of its abilities best through the mind-controlled fish around it.

Si_Swe: Yeah, as I was looking at this final product I realized that I was falling into usual bad habits of "extremely dark picture with limited color range and glowy bits". I had a similar problem with the two creature entries I have done on previous C.O.W.s as well. From here on, I'm going to practice rendering things in other than grimdark lighting settings. Thank you for the critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Si_Swe: Strengths: Interesting design, I like the bioluminescence.
    Weaknesses: There are quite a few black outlines on the creature that seem unnecessary, It also seems like it should look more translucent.

Art4All: Strengths: Some nice textures on the creature’s body and on the rock floor. The glow of the tentacles also looks really good.
    Weaknesses: The scale of the fish seems weird as they get closer to your creature’s mouth, it almost looks like they are swimming into the distance past his mouth, I think this would have looked better if we actually saw some fish in his mouth or grasped by his tentacles.

Skullbeast: Strengths: I like the creature and the concept but…
    Weaknesses: everything still seems like it's a bit too blurred and unfinished.

nram: Strengths: nice textures and colors.
    Weaknesses: The creature design isn’t very interesting and it doesn’t look intelligent.

PokketMowse: Strengths: I love this design, I’m partial to deep sea looking creatures and you did a very good job of capturing the qualities of a deep sea creature, extreme translucency, bioluminescence, and an otherworldly appearance. I really like it’s head anatomy and after thinking about how a Hyper Intelligent Sea Dweller should be depicted I think this is the best match. It actually appears contemplative instead of simply tapping into a creature’s mind to prey on it. You definitely get my vote.
    Weaknesses: The only thing that bothers me is how part of it’s body is cropped off on the left side of the picture.

Farquad:
    Strengths: The textures are nice as always, I like how you handled the see-through skull.
    Weaknesses: The wispy fins don’t look very useful and the curve in the creature’s tail is too square sharp. Overall the picture seems like it still needs some refinement, as some of the forms are a little blurry.

logistic puppet
    : Strengths: I like the concept that anyone that meets this creature is left with dreams of its memories. The small scuba man works to illustrate size well.
    Weaknesses: The creature design isn’t very clear, nor does it look particularly intelligent.

(lark: Strengths: Very cool backstory, the anatomy is well rendered and I like how you drew the glowing brain cells.
    Weaknesses:Just a minor nitpick I think it would look better if you changed the few strands of energy that were drawn in white with the light blue color most the energy is colored with.

Labrynthine
    : Strengths: Cool backstory, I really like how you rendered the translucent part of the nudibranch and the green energy grabbing the ships. Overall the creature is very interesting, I especially like its eye.
    Weaknesses: the shell of ships could use some more detail as most of the shell are left in shadow.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1