C.O.W. #200! Land, Sea, and Air. Wips Thread

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  cow rules new.jpg
Views: 5043
Size:  99.6 KB

For more info and details about the rules go here:

http://www.concepyart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=110879

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #200!, Land, Sea,and Air

topic:

ROUND #200!, Land, Sea, and Air

in celebration of COW reaching its 200th round, we've decided its time for changing of the guard so to speak. A NEW MASCOT!

this month long round is here for you to put your best foot forward and show us what you've got! empty out your bag of tricks, and use everything you have in your image making arsenal. creativity is key, and you should check every cliche, overdone, and obvious idea at the door. remember this is for the new mascot so your designs should not only be grand, but iconic.

round details...

-there are three briefs, for three very different kinds of creatures.

-all three will have an individual finals thread, and proceeding voting rounds. with each winner receiving a star.

-after voting is done, the top 3 entries with the most votes in each finals thread will be put into a new (single vote) voting round, where they will battle it out for the right to be the new mascot.

-feel free to enter in ANY or ALL finals threads. but you are limited to one entry per brief.

-also, since the winner is going to be the new mascot. depict the majority of your creature, and try to show it clearly separated from the background. this is more of a guideline to help us out when the mascot gets chosen, and nobody will fail to make the finals if this is not followed.

now onto the briefs...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alpha Land Predator

these walking terrors have roamed the land of their home world for centuries as the most powerful alpha predators in the known universe. in a fight with any other living thing on land, these badass's barely break a sweat taking their foe down. these nasty bastards take great pleasure in showing off their dominance, and will commonly search for the strongest opponents they can find just for the sport of crushing them. design the alpha land predator!

things to keep in mind...

- this creature dwells only on land. not sometimes, always! it can't fly, and it can't swim.

- try to think about what makes your creature so powerful. how does it prey on things?, how does it keep from being prey itself?, what biological weapons does it have?, what defenses does it use or how does it keep from being hurt?

- it can be any size. but if it is smallish, you should still show why it can dominate an opponent in a fight

Finals go here...

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...91#post2968791

hyper-intelligent sea dweller

What better place for the most intelligent beings in the universe to inhabit then in the deepest bodies of water (water is the source of all life in the evolutionary sense, so their inhabitants have a big head start over us idiotic humans to evolve intellectually). this creature you'll be designing has such a powerful intellect that its most mundane thought would blow your mind, and change your way of life. When its really using its vast mental power the thoughts would literally break our tiny human brains, and cause our heads to explode.

Things to remember...

- this creature lives its entire existence under water. Never leaving its depths for any reason.

- you must show in a visual way that this creature uses some kind of mental power, Or that it is capable of such, in your image. Don't just have a creature swimming around, and say in your brief that it's thinking about intellectual stuff.

- how does it survive? It doesn't have a very developed physical body in the sense of brute force. It uses its mental prowess for survival. Whether it be through telepathy, telekinesis, or some other mental power we've never heard of before.

Finals go here...

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=203547

gorgeous sky guardian

This creature is so awe inspiring that it makes the most beautiful thing you've ever seen revolting in comparison. The guardians of the skies protect the heavens not with violence or sneaky tricks, But instead stops any aggressive invader in its tracks with its highly persuasive good looks. All who look upon it immediately feel at peace, and go forth to live happy peaceful lives knowing that there is something so lovingly beautiful in the universe. For this reason these rare creatures are commonly mistaken for gods.

Things to keep in mind...

- this creature lives mostly in the sky and stays off the ground for most of its existence. It can occasionally land on the ground if you choose. But should be depicted in flight, whether its flying, soaring, hovering etc.

- its up to you as to what these creatures are protecting, but its not really the focus of this creature, and you will still be allowed into the poll if you don't depict, or describe in your description what its protecting.

- this creature should be aesthetically pleasing to look at. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but keep those terms to a general beauty to human eyes. Don't take it down the road of "hey this thing is really pretty to the people of some other planet or dimension"

Finals go here...

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...98#post2968798

that's it. looking forward to all the epic potential mascots I'm sure you guys, and gals can bring in to represent this weekly challenge. good luck everybody, IT'S ON!

Deadline:

DEADLINE DATE january 29th 9:00pm PST (GMT -8 )

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by (lark; December 30th, 2010 at 12:15 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, it's me again. Just a little thing before we get the ball rolling on this one.
    We want this round to BIG! As many entries as possible, to get the best selection of your best beasts that we can and in order to do this we need artists. So promote the hell outta this round! If you have a sketchbook, mention the round! if you post on CGHub or DeviantArt or what-have-you, mention it! If you have a blog about your art, mention it! This round can and will be great with a little help from all you awesome contributors. Let's make this one to remember.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there you go guys! like si swe said. lets get this bad boy going. thanks in advance! and again, good luck everybody!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm so excited for this one! I've had to miss the last few rounds, but I'm totally in for this one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh. my. god. im literally shaking this is so epic!!! (and its really close to something i posted in the suggestions thread ) damn i better finish up my chow so i can start on this. ill TRY to do all 3 but we'll have to see. GAAAAAHHHHHH IM SO EXCITED!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah lancer your suggestion was the basis for everything. a little different as you can see. but your suggestion was the starting point i think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is grrreat!
    all three topics sound very promising and i am looking forward to a load of the best entries.
    good luck everyone, let´s get this started.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 666 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    OMG! you guys did it.. the awesomeness is staggering! Holy shit! *sharpening pencils* .. let's dance *aiming for my first star* ! haha

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DV, i have no idea how you DONT have a star already haha. im actually kinda scared as to what youre gonna bust out this round O_O as with everybody! this round is too epic to pass up! excuse me while i go add a link to my sig

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lancer_idenoure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm all in, especially for this one. 100%.

Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    OH ITS ON MAN. iTS ON

edit; i just noticed, the first link you posted is meant to be conceptart.org not concepyart.org

Last edited by ryan mcshane; December 30th, 2010 at 05:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love this 3 themes thing, i often start working on something and then i get bored and quit, now i have 3 creatures to work on so if i get bored with 1 creature, i can just go to the next one .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the sigs, guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's gonna be legendary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm most likely going to be starting with the sky guardian. So here's a little page of inspirations I'm drawing from...

Name:  Sky Guardian Comp.jpg
Views: 4941
Size:  1.17 MB

Non-Photography Artists featured include:
    Kekai Kotaki
    David Melvin (scorge)
    Ninth (RNU)
    Nicholas Di Genova
    Mitsuo Kimura
    Gerry Grace

Things to consider about creating an attractive Sky Guardian:
    - More complex/ornate is not always better (Ugh... I seriously need to remember this)
    - The eye is attracted to symmetry
    - On the other hand, perfectly symmetrical compositions are boring
    - The familiar is more endearing and thus more attractive (ex. mammalian creatures tend to be seen as cuter than insectoid ones because mammalian qualities more closely resemble humans)
    - A sense of the exotic is more intriguing and often more evocative
    - Oft we find animals with more vibrant colouring are more attractive than those with darker an more neutral palettes.
    - Wings are totally badass
    - Eat bread

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 666 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    LOL! eat bread, nice one .. I got many thoughts regarding all three of them, I'll drop my thoughts soon, and try to do a nice inspirational image map like you did Si. Epic round. Totally Epic round.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    si swe: yeah dude, that's really awesome! thanks for doing that. lots of really good points as well.

also thanks defiled visions, and lancer idenoure for doing those sigs! that's really cool of you guys!

still not sure how I'm gonna tackle this one but i might start easiest first, in my opinion the easiest is gonna be alpha land predator. then go on to the others. i want to try and do them all. time to get to work. will try and get some wip by tonight.

Last edited by (lark; December 30th, 2010 at 06:07 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,172 Times in 1,968 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    will probably try to do something when i go back home, not sure but i will try.This looks great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, this one is INTENSE. Can't stay away from it.

Here is my land predator for today. I should've taken some more process shots,
    this guy looks wildly different from where he started:

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Farquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Great briefs, I guess it goes without saying but this round should be amazing to watch.

Just a thought Farquad, your design looks great so far but its kind of pushing the first rule about not being human like.

And do be sure to check out my sketchbook if you have time!
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti Ball For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeti Ball: Oh man your totally right. :/ Hmm, I hope this is enough to justify the
    human-esque torso:

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Farquad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    farquad: lookin awesome dude! I agree with yetiball, but I think its an easy fix though. You just need to change the pectoral- shoulder structure to make it a little less human like. And I don't think its that big of a deal because its in my opinion the weakest section design wise in your piece. Maybe extend the stomach scaley things upwards closer to the neck, and maybe Have them just go into the neck. Just an idea. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

RAWR!

Hi guys! It's been far too long, but I'm definitely going to be entering this epic round. Here's my land beast so far, really got into this drawing and ended up spending a good portion of the day on it. As always let me know if you notice anything particularly wonky.
    Name:  LAND-BEAST-WIP.jpg
Views: 4821
Size:  181.4 KB

35. The Following User Says Thank You to GoldenSerpent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    goldenserpent: yeah dude! Crushin heads ftw! Also really dig the colors, especially on the chest area. One problem I see is that the lower jaw feels a little odd. I think its too long, and also appears to be more in a 3/4 view as opposed to the rest of the head which seems more profile. Keep it up!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok guys, decided to start with the land predator. here's some head concept sketches i did today. all kinda similar because i want to go with a large bulky powerful type of design. let me know which one you like most. i like different elements from most of them but i think #3 might be my favorite overall right now.

Name:  alpha land predator heads.jpg
Views: 4676
Size:  183.7 KB

lets get some more wips up in here!

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to (lark For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My idea so far... I researched what so far is considered a dangerous animal and results were quite, not what I thought...

at the top of the lists were elephants, Rhinos, Hippos, Gorilla, Big cats, and cape buffalo...

A small flare that i wanted in there is Hyena... I actually think Hyenas are the most bad ass of the canine world...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update...

(lark
    ... I like 3 and 2... It might be also cool to take the mouth of 4 and put it on 3.

42. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naphtali For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice design Farquad!

Goldenserpent; I love it

I am also thought about the land-concept.. my first idea was about a
    creature that eats with the hands and got a very hard suit but its
    difficult to dont let him look like a robot..

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FAST ART For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Farquad, as was already said, the only downside is how humanoid it looks. The execution, however, is good.
    Golden Serpent, I LOVE what you did there.
    (lark, the overall face structures you have there remind me of flat-faced pet breeds, like the pug. I don't know whether it'd be really good to have eyes that close to the mouth, they'd constantly be confronted with germs and blood and gore while eating..
    Naphtail, you've got a good idea going, but you could reference how the muscles for four-legged animals look, it will make it even better.
    Fast Art, the tentacles make it seem more aquatic than terrestrial, since most real life creatures with tentacles live underwater. In fact, its shape in general makes one think of mollusks...
    Cue comments how I don't have the right to criticize since I have no past on the site, nor have posted any WIPs yet.

I have a gallery
    Here.
    I try, at least.
    There's nothing in it.

46. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dionesiist For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1