Applying to SCAD...portfolio advice?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Applying to SCAD...portfolio advice?

I've never actually put together a portfolio before so I'm hesitant about doing it and what should go into it. I'm wanting to apply as a animation/sequential arts major, any advice? What kinds of art should I put into a portfolio? Just finished, sketches, or some of both? Do they want just life drawings or are drawings done from imagination good to put in as well?

Also, I'd be applying as a transfer, but my GPA is terrible. I'm hoping that providing a good portfolio even though it's not required will help make up for that a bit? I don't want my chances ruined because of a personal set-back a year ago.
    I'm hoping that enrolling in my local community college and making strong grades will help show that I'm capable of doing the work....but the deadline is well before I would get grades from this spring semester. Should I talk to a counselor at SCAD about that? Or am I doomed? :c

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out the info on the SCAD website there is bound to be a guide to their portfolio process. In general most schools like to see pieces that are from real life observation, are complete compositions, and a variety of mediums. Some like to see a "personal style", others don't. Use only your best pieces.

If you plan on creating a good portfolio in the next few months, before a spring deadline, you have to be really focused. I attempted it last year and came up with a sub-par portfolio. I feel I made the right choice and decided to wait a year, even though I got accepted, because I knew I could make a better portfolio that would earn me a scholarship. I took courses at my community college and held a 3.85 gpa, and now have a much better portfolio.

Don't rush into an Art school, i would highly recommend exploring the options that a community college offers. However the best part is that it costs next to nothing, and many of the liberal arts courses will transfer, literally saving you thousands.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been doing community for two years, though I've been exploring different classes so my basics are few. I've checked out the SCAD site as well as talked to some people, but the responses even I get from the different professors are varied, so I guess I should be more specific and ask if the types of pieces in my portfolio should be major-related or just a variety....or if someone who's gotten accepted into SCAD what types they put in.

I'm semi-rushing not because I haven't considered but because my dad gave me the option to. He's military, so him being stationed there will give me a chance to get a good foothold in as well as be considered a resident instead of out-of-state, so I'm hoping to nab the opportunity before he gets notice to be stationed elsewhere. xD

Though with the scholarships, do you apply to them directly or are they offered? Or both, depending on quality? I'm not to sure on this...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you can, getting an associate's really helps. One of my friend's did community for Graphic Design for 2 years and got an associate's. SCAD gave him a really decent chunk of scholarship money because of it.

DO NOT DO A MAJOR RELATED PORTFOLIO! Sorry about the capslock, but so many good artists make this mistake, and, unfortunately, after you're admitted your financial aid options are pretty much loans only. Yeah, there's scholarships for current students, but they are small in comparison to what first-time entrants get. If you're going to submit a portfolio, they want: observational drawings only (no drawings from photos), life drawing, still life, and maybe a little bit of basic design like 2-D Design, 3-D Design (not computer 3-D), color theory, so on. Just don't do any computer work, all traditional.

If you are rushing your portfolio, it might not be your best option. Many talented art students get nothing for their portfolios - SCAD gives more money to students with good to perfect SAT/ACT scores. I don't remember what ACT scores they like, but if you have an SAT score of 1100 (not counting the writing), you should get about $6,000/yr in scholarships. The higher the score, the more money you get, but you have to keep at least a 3.0 GPA every quarter, or it won't be renewed (what I mean is, if you get a 2.7 Fall Quarter, you won't get your scholarship amount for Winter Quarter, but if you get a 3.0 in Winter Quarter, you'll get your scholarship amount for the Spring Quarter).

You apply directly for the portfolio scholarship by sending them your portfolio (copies of it). The deadline is very soon - also, unfortunately, it's first come first serve. Academic scholarships are offered, you cannot apply directly to them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have alot of great life drawing sketches or gestures and more drawn out images. But also a variety of images so they can see what you can do. But for me I was in community college for 2 years before going to SCAD. Since after high school I wasn't sure what I wanted to do and I saved a lot of money in the long run. But if you still thinking of going to a community college make sure most of the credits can transfer to SCAD.

Members who have read this thread: 3