Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Teen Challenge 101: FINALS: Christmas

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Sonea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ahh, okay, here we go.

I hope I'm not the only one entering. Come on guys, please come and keep me company, this threads rather lonely and empty.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 1,154 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    OH HERE WE GO, IT'S ON LIKE DONKEY fUCKING KONG

Attached Images Attached Images  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey little folk and folkesses,i hope im allowed to comment here its ever so quiet otherwise ;o

dominode: Strikes my eyes that you come from more traditional roots! I like the idea of a spherical composition (bauble,snowball etc) and it does seem like it would belong on a tree :3 The lighting on both the figures is well done,and although it looks quick and simple i do like the male characters pasty/painted hair,very christmas decoration-ee. Personally,i woulda fiddled with the density of the snow to make sure all the opacity wasnt quite the same on the falling snow,but each to their own eh.

ryanoir: Obviously a very different take here ryanoir. Love the colouring and tones on your smelly-faced santa. The browny yellows give a distinct grubby muddy background which really offsets the common colours of santas red costume which works well but my personal gripe with this one would be the signs. In conception,the idea of numerous signs as a background is a strong one for this piece but something about the font doesnt agree with me, i feel if you'd put some more time in to touch up a handful of fonts and maybe thrown the text into some different browns or darker tones it would have added some realism that still wouldnt have thrown the viewer perspective off old saint nicholas. That being blabbered,well done :3

zelda_geek: Love the rusty steampunk browns in this one,its a simple but effective piece that has a unique magical christmas feel about it. The metallic-painting style is very nice against the snow too.

off i go!

Will

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FootstepsBeckon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh so not 11;59 like I planned, but I have to go somewhere.
    Wish I had more time to render this out, but eh, I'm proud with it overall. Then again I'll probably wake up tomorrow seeing all the mistakes.

crits later! and Happy New Year to everybody!

edit: looking real fast from another monitor and it looks so dark..

Last edited by skMOP; January 1st, 2011 at 02:44 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG..
    Q__Q
    So.... late........ But it's in on time!

So here's Executive Santa. The man behind the scenes, running the hardworking, arduous business of keeping kids content and happy.

Alrighty.

Edited for smaller picture. :3

Last edited by anaiira; January 1st, 2011 at 02:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    should the voting be up by now? ive got 2 hours left of 1/1/11 here so iono..
    CRITS >:U
    Dominode: i like the composition and design, but you really gotta do some photo studies, master studies, still lifes and plein air paintings to really get your colors up, and they need a lotta work, no offence. i'd reccomend sticking with grayscale for a while, really nail the values in things, and also construction of the figure, and form too. do those studies, and also some loomis first, and then break into bridgman if you want, or even hogarth. also drawing from life will help a tonne, life drawings, self portraits and the like. keep at it bro!
    ryanoir: you suck, start again
    Zelda_Geek: i like the design, well thought through, just the story/compositions a little bland, whats santa doing? just standing there? the reingdeers are a little annoying, theyre all posed the same and have 3 legs O_O i mean, you drew and designed them beautifully, but yknow. i really like this though, keep at it!
    skMOP: assasins creed santa girl! shes very dynamic and it was a very hard topic/pose for you to tackle in such a short time, good effort bro! just same goes for you what i said to dominode, but i know your already doing it good shit my friend!
    anaiira: love the emotion! same goes for you as domindode haha, just gotta get your colors right, and start with grayscale to get your values down. he looks rather flat and not constructed.. all inall, great job! i like the stickit notes! haha

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ryan mcshane For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ryanoir, just saying thanks man. i think that's the most honest anyone's been with my art, and I think i needed it x)

to everyone else, good luckk! great entries i'm sorry i haven't got time to comment on them all individuallyy.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jessibelle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ryanoir: Damn. What a ego-killer. Hahaha. I've never heard of any of those things, but I'll look them up. Time for practice, eh?

Critiques:
    Dominode: Practice drawing anywhere and everywhere and everything. There are parts of your picture (hands, the heart) that are pretty cool and really well done, but other areas are lacking. Also, do what ryanoir suggests (because they're probably helpful) and do some colour theory when you're done.
    ryanoir: Don't crap out at the end. Your signs, boots, bottles need some work. I'm not sure if you had the time or not, but they don't look as cool as your awesome hobo Santa does.
    zelda_geek: It's nice? ? Nothing really pops out at me... so... it's... nice.
    skMOP: Yay for time being everyone's worst enemy. I like the Christmas tree lights. It looks unfinished, but, again, time sucks, so it's understandable. (Her cape still looks like it falls a little weirdly...?)

Ahahahaa. I hope my crits were somewhat useful. I'd totally appreciate any comments/complaints/criticisms about mine.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anaiira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    always time for practice man! sorry to kill your ego! but now you can improve!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.