Sketchbook: Rain Walker "Dream Journey" (New oil paintings and drawings) - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff man, Really love the traditional work, and thumbs up for ghost in the shell.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Koh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyy it's good to have you back, Rain!
    Yeah I know, work sometimes has tendency of getting us away from art, it sucks. It happens to me all the time too.
    Allthough there are many other things that try to keep me away from art too, lol.

Anyways I love this latest painting! Keep them coming!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that virgin in prayer copy just convinced me to take up oils... Awesome progress man.. Steady aim my friend! *****

MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Eyes For This Useful Post:

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice oils!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Jfierce .. Thank you... and i will try my best to find that magical way

@ Shockowaffel and @ Koh... GO ANIME!! whoever recognize the ghost in the shell is fine in my book

@ Satupeikko thank you .. its good to be back.. and i know what u mean ... and i will post now the 2nd painting i started couple of days ago...

@ Dark_EYEs... plz do test oil.. i would love to see how the paintings will turn out... cant wait

@ Kidult.. u have ONE KICK ASS SB.. u ROCK!!

as for now.. underpainting for 2nd painting... its gona be good .. I HOPE!

some sketchs from sketch book ... and a portrait painting using DRY OIL TECHNIQUES .. i thought i give it a try.. drawing a friend...

Attached Images Attached Images            
    i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rain Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, some beautiful paintings here, great sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Hunin thank you .. i like that ur doing ur daily sketchs .. love the new work as well

for now i finished the dry oil technique test one... another one on the way..

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rain Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im loving the dry oil technique its SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EASY.. more then normal oil technique... or even graphte or charchole...

more steps of the still life painting... almost done.. ^_^

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rain Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finally my paintings is done......... ^_^

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rain Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dry oil technique painting no. 2........ in progress .. plus some sketchs...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok the ball is rolling...
    finished my dry oil technique test 2..
    and my FIRST EVER.. digital painting.. i dont have a wacom cintiq.. but i got a Toshiba porterge` laptop and installed the wacom driver.. its not as good but its better then normal tablet.. althought i paid 2500$ for it .. its as expensive as a cintiq but i dont have cintiq in my country sadly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I looked through your SB... I miss seeing more recent stuff, the refd ones looks good but they are only refd stuff, I know very well even copying requires some skills but painting by ourselves is a totally different story.
    One thing based on your sketches: be careful, sometimes you draw a undeveloped cranium, at least i think so, it's so hard to criticize such rushes sketches, you know. Why don't you put more effort into them if you have more patience when you do a reffed painting? Are you unpatient if it's just a sketch, nothing spectacular to show off? Still, I think you should try harder, using different approaches. It seems you simply jump and draw your stuff in the time limit, without thinking much about flow, construction or anything like that. (I'm not shocked seeing the quality difference, I know soooo well a refd stuff and a human figure sketch can be on a totally different level, my own sb shows that very well.)
    Advices are hard as I don't really know what your goals are and it was hard to write this much, seeing just a few very quick sketches and very long paintings from recent times.

Your 3d works looks great as far as I can tell.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Walker View Post
    its as expensive as a cintiq but i dont have cintiq in my country sadly
    Jeeze, that sucks to hear. But anyway, your work is looking very solid. I think if you are going to become a fine artist, you are well on your way!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sycra For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i saw this beautiful painting for Leonid androve .. i think thats his name.. a russian artist who work only with a palette knife... i tried to do the same painting but with a brush insted of a pallete knife and i guess i lost the hard chroma that you would get with a thick paint applied with a pallette knife...

@ Sycra i know .. it does suck i would love to have the 24HD cintiq.. i may have to travel to get it or ship it from outside... thanks for your encourging words

@Shinin : i guess ur comparing the last sketchs to the paintings .. but its not gona be the same.. these sketchs are 30 - 60 seconds sketchs using posemenia website.. its like life drawing in 30 - 60 seconds.. it isnt that i dont have paitence to do it it was timed.. to worked on my fast sketching .. and some of them are from memory as well... all the refined work u saw here is copied.. i think i can draw but im no where being an artist.. artists can create art.. i can only copy it.. maybe coz i started 2 years ago .. and i need more time maybe im not good enough.. im like a painter in a box.. i can copy i cant create and this is sad and depressing...

and as u said even as i saw on ur sb the difference between copying and making art.. it does require skill to copy .. most ppl cant even do that.. but to create art .. is even fewer percentage from ppl who can do that..

but so far im doing this as a hobbie .. im a 3d artist for architecture and interior projects.. thats my daily job but art is my hobbie.. but i dont want to stop here .. im still trying to do my best to be an artist.. but .. when u have to work.. and u need to pay bills.. it gets harder and harder to find time .. to create...

i guess u saw my face behind the mask of beautiful paintings and its true what u saw... im a copy cat.. nothing more... but im still trying.. does that count ??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    changing gear to Acrylic... huge painting 120cm x 100cm ..
    red flower... and some quick oil paintings ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the final painting...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, the flower looks beautiful. From a photo or from life?

One thing I would say is to try to draw from life more, even if it is just a simple still life setup at home. A lot of people say master studies are useful, but nothing beats drawing from life for experience.

Also, even though you said your sketches are often 30 to 60 seconds, try to do longer ones too, if you put the same effort into your sketches as your paintings, they'll be interesting

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hunin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

Excellent work here, though! You seem to be very dilligent in your studies. Good to see some Louise Gordon stuff in here. Glad to see you're venturing into digital work. Anything giving you trouble there?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to blindshot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Hunin all things here are from photos.. i dont know why im scared of doing life drawing.. either i dont think im good enough or i have "perfictionizim" syndrom.. that i cant draw anything that isnt perfect.. i dont have sketchbook.. like others do.. if u saw mine they all look like full drawings.. i dont know know what to do.. im stuck!!

@Blindshot.. dude ur SB is ROCKING.. great digital work and to see the progress makes it even better.. i think the only thing bothering me in digital work is the fact that i cant find Cintiq in my country all bamboos.. so i bought a toshiba portege tablet.. and i had a hard time installing wacom driver on it but after i did that i found out the laptop weighs around 5 KG!! so i ordered today an ergotron Arm with laptop holder ..to make it as cintiq as possible.. it costed me around 2500$ more then a cintiq.. but i will start from tommorw digital sketching... what do u recommend to start ? drawing from objcts from home ? or googling pictures from interent and photos and draw it ?? how did u start practicing ? copying ? coz that all what im doing right now .. ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, major props on trying out dry brush technique. That stuff is hard to do well, but you seem to have a knack for it.

ALSO: some people give other people a lot of flack for copying. AUGH. Copying the masters is the BEST way to learn. Just so long as you make sure to tell people that the work is a copy, and not your own, there is nothing wrong with copying from the greats.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for reminding me to get back to posting. ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely studies man, love the traditional styleee Hope to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are a true inspiration for traditional art. Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Rain, I love your dry oil-portraits. Also the still life is so hot! And good studies. I too wish to see some still lifes from you and more of your own works too, allthough these are awesome too! Where did you go btw? Don't disappear again like I did there for a while, it sucks. Keep it up and post something awesome again?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You came back while I was gone and produced a ton of beautiful art ^^

Did your Intuos arrive safely?

Also forget about what some of the critics are saying, they are well intentioned but a little misguided

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Walker View Post
    these sketchs are 30 - 60 seconds sketchs using posemenia website.. artists can create art.. i can only copy it.. maybe coz i started 2 years ago .. and i need more time maybe im not good enough..

i guess u saw my face behind the mask of beautiful paintings and its true what u saw... im a copy cat.. nothing more... but im still trying.. does that count ??
    Absolutely. Copying masterworks should teach you quite a number of things. How they designed the piece, composition, lighting, mood, pose, action, etc... many many things to learn from copying. But in a lot of cases you need to know what you're looking for, or you become just like a computer scanner

After seeing vices comment, it reminded me that maybe I had said something to you in the past... and it looks like.. yep I did. Thought maybe I had had a bad day and really said something harsh.

But going back, what I said was really gentle... except for the "Baloney" comment. The point about not taking credit for others work was important.

But again... if the work you're doing with copying isn't satisfying to you... you feel like you're not getting anywhere... try to get some good instruction.

shiNIN noticed what I saw before, that's all. The posemaniacs and studies from life are really lagging. Just see if you can't find a good instructor, that's all. There's a way forward for you to learn to do your own work and not rely on copying

Peace, and have a nice weekend.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It has been almost a year since i last came here.. but im back.. with a vengeance... im gona upload my latest work.. still practicing on oil paintings.. still copying sadly just trying to get the hang of compositions and colors..

this one is originally a digital painting for the nativity scene by Matt Killian ...i did it in oil ... 50x70cm canvas..

Name:  50 x70 cm.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  351.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More Oil Paintings..

Another practice from another painting.. i dont know who the artist is i took it from google..
    Name:  50x35cm.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  852.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love your still lifes very much. They look like old masterpieces. Do you use pur white? My painting prof saiys us ever, don't to use purely white as itself. Ever mix it a bit with a color

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh thank u .. and no i never use white paint but i can see y u thought so.. its coz of the Levels in photoshop .. somehow my iphone camera make my paintings so dark that i have to adjust the levels in photoshop.. and the side effect is that white u see.. but i usually use off white / yellowish color mix.. it makes ur paintings look warmer ... unless u want it to look cold then u mix it with a bit of ultramarine blue..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Another oil painting..

Another lucky pick from the google paintings... all props to the origional artist.. i learned alot from this painting.. lovely colors.. mixing took a bit longer then i thought

Name:  50x70 cm.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  155.2 KB

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5