matte painting
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: matte painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

matte painting

Last edited by NITISH KUMAR; January 8th, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello everyone...people i am having some problem in judging the proportion in the last picture...wheather that pillar is fine in its height or should i make it more smaller..please help..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know close to nothing about matte painting to help you with technique, but I just wanted to say that I think you did a very nice and commendable job turning that first photo into a night scene. I wouldn't mind learning some of the techniques for doing that!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You did a good job with the first one but the second one the lighting is not consistent and gives a photo collage look to the scene. A strong sense of light would help it and more painting less photo manipulation.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest that you get this dvd, it's great, I have it:http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/sto...f-Dylan-Cole-3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wooblood View Post
    I know close to nothing about matte painting to help you with technique, but I just wanted to say that I think you did a very nice and commendable job turning that first photo into a night scene. I wouldn't mind learning some of the techniques for doing that!
    Thanks wooblood for encouragement... n yaa i surly i'l b glad if could help u anyway...
    thanks alot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks dpaint and DAMJAN for your important advices, surly i'll follow them.. n yes definitely i'll work on its lighting... but right now my main worry is the proportion is that fine...?? the main building (pillar) is fine enough or do i need to make it smaller...?? please advice..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The size doesn't bother me but the perspective is way off if you look at it the bottom, the ellipes flatten out when they shouldn't, because your horizon line is much lower than the base of the building. You have to move the building or adjust the horizon.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks dpaint...thanks alot... thats where i have been stuck from yesterday...
    thanks alot..

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The first rocks!
    But the second one has many perspective issues, there are almost 2-3 parallel horizons. Even the clouds are looking flat, take care of the lighting there and they will set nicely.
    Also the lighting perspective is a little off. The tree closes to us has some hard sunlight, its rather warm, but the gradation from warm to cold isnt happening much.
    Theres also a lack or atmospheric perspective, the mountains farther off looked blurred out but dont appear that they are far off, maybe play with edges a little bit, get things to merge, do a little play or warm/cold greys there.
    Basically draw over the painting a bit and get the perspective right first, then play with atmospheric perspective and give more soft edges as that will will do away the collage look that the image has right now.

I hope it helps. But trust your instinct as well. And take any advice with a pinch of salt. Ok maybe not Dpaint, him, he knows what he talks about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx bhanu....
    for ur suggestions i'll surly work on to that they will definitely help alot...
    i'll soon post its improved version...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Nitish. Looks like you fixed the perspective on the little building, which is good. I think the clouds are looking a little too solid still and I suggest darkening up and decreasing contrast on the foreground tree/leaves for better separation and depth.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wooblood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have fixed some things but you still need to get a direction for the lightsource. The light direction is still inconsistent. Choose a strong direction and make everything conform to it. It is too much photo collage right now. My suggestion is to make a pencil study of the scene the way you want it to be and then paint it using the reference as a guide only. Photo manipulation will only get you so far.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you can create a fake light source by creating a layer above every other, set it to multiply, and choose a color such as blue/gray and start painting shadows on dark sides which are opposite from your light source wherever you decide to place that. But before you start painting, play with the opacity of that layer so it's not too much and really looks like a shadow. For light source, you can do pretty much same but set layers to either light, screen, overlay, color dodge, lighter color. Play with opacities so it's not too much. I suggest you find a better sky, with bigger fluffier clouds and replace the current one with it. Make the image more interesting, add waterfalls around the bottom of that mountain with that tower thing but make them small enough to be noticeable but not overpowering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! Hope to become this good someday.
    And I agree, you have a skill for transitioning the lighting to different moods. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    You have fixed some things but you still need to get a direction for the lightsource. The light direction is still inconsistent. Choose a strong direction and make everything conform to it. It is too much photo collage right now. My suggestion is to make a pencil study of the scene the way you want it to be and then paint it using the reference as a guide only. Photo manipulation will only get you so far.
    thanks dpaint....for your advice i'll work on its sketch and soon post it here..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DAMJAN View Post
    you can create a fake light source by creating a layer above every other, set it to multiply, and choose a color such as blue/gray and start painting shadows on dark sides which are opposite from your light source wherever you decide to place that. But before you start painting, play with the opacity of that layer so it's not too much and really looks like a shadow. For light source, you can do pretty much same but set layers to either light, screen, overlay, color dodge, lighter color. Play with opacities so it's not too much. I suggest you find a better sky, with bigger fluffier clouds and replace the current one with it. Make the image more interesting, add waterfalls around the bottom of that mountain with that tower thing but make them small enough to be noticeable but not overpowering.
    thanks damjan for your so detail advice......
    u people are so helpful...
    thanks a lot..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.