Sketchbook: My Artistic Progression

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My Artistic Progression

Hey, im new to ConceptArt. I've been on Deviantart for a few years (the same name) but i found this and believe it'll be more benefitial to me advancing as an artist.

I dont know how the sketchbooks usually work, but ill add a work i just finished. Tell me if im doing it wrong lol. Ill add more in the future, when i find out how these sketchbooks work xD. Tell me what you think..? (if your meant to xD)

Name:  art water contest drawing jpeg.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  225.2 KB

Last edited by InuyashaIncarnate; December 25th, 2010 at 05:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another picture ive been working on. It's annoying, because im used to shading metal with pencils not photoshop =S. I intend to colour it, but i tried and it didnt work out. Im also having trouble blending the shades.
    Name:  amulet jpeg.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  235.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a study of colour and form i did of a photo i took. I picked about 10-12 main colours from the original (added more where neccesarry) and drew it with the image next to it in photoshop. Im pretty happy with it seeing as i didnt trace or anything, its just looking. Not fully detailed, because, as i said its just a study. The original photo had alot of texture, would be really hard to draw picture perfect lol
    Name:  form and colour study (rock).jpg
Views: 1003
Size:  84.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the comment on my sketchbook. Great to see you've come over from Deviantart, so have i actually. The sketchbook's here are mainly for your own motivation, post here everyday with your studies life drawings and painting etc. then hopefully attract from attention and get feedback. The best way to get feedback is to comment on other peoples sketchbooks with helpful information and critique other peoples work, genuinely critique, the difference between CA and DA are the people. Here's an interesting article to get you started. So keep that in mind when posting on people sketchbooks.

Also here are some of the common tools that people use for daily studies and the like.
    Posemaniacs 30 seconds pose drawing tool

Pixellovely photo references for life drawing for people and animals

Hope that helps, lets see more work from you, work hard and lets see some improvement.

-Red

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaunay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Jaunay: Thanks for the helpful advice! i was kind of lost when i started, no idea wat i was doing lol. Ill try my best, modivation is a bad issue for me xD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to InuyashaIncarnate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey again everyone. Ages since i posted any drawings, cause of lack of modivation and artistic confusion (a really silly situation whereas my perfectionism and preconcieved notions of drawing essentially stunt me and disable me from drawing freely)

But ive done some more stuff now, mainly i did lots of sketches using the 30 second figure drawing website the kind individual above me gave me.

First is a quick drawing i did before i went to bed.
    Name:  random face practice copy.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  71.9 KB

This is a drawing i started ages ago, but got sick of and left it. Ive picked it back up with a more open minded perspecteve, and just wanted to show it as-is. Theres many things that needs to change, but mainly i think the in between space thats grass is too empty and needs to be shorter, or rather the figure needs to be closer.
    Name:  d&n copy.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  103.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 873 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to CA dude

nice start !
    so you want to advance as artist.... SO STOP READING THIS AND GET BACK TO DRAWIIIIIIIING ! hahhaa i'm kidding coz i'm sure you're drawing while reading this.
    if not you should. post more studies, studies studies studies. you should concentrate on lines , do lines many lines, tons !

the last portrait is pretty nice, i don't really understand why she is so blacked. perhaps it's a complex lighting situation. try to chosse one light situations and focus on lines before doing shading. to advance in one subject, portrait for example, you must do like 100 of them within a time limit. speed will make you draw more focused and spontaneous.

good luck and don't forget to post tons of works.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zou For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment =]

yeah i dont practice nearly enough lol, a problem i need to fix xD
    and yeah, that protrait was strange, just couldnt get it right haha, but i do spend too much time on each, ive been trying to set limits lol

And i had a look at your sketchbook, and its really good =] and that portrait at the end is reallyyyy good =/ hahaha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start! I just have a few critiques for you; I like that rock study you did, though I would recommend that you definitely do try and do the texture, even if it seems hard---it doesn't need to be 'picture-perfect' but focusing on the hard things in images that you may want to skip will be beneficial, and you will learn from it!

One other thing I noticed is that you're using fairly small brushstrokes. I'd recommend working a lot larger at and at around 100% opacity to 60% (going lighter as you blend), and going smaller as you detail.

Also, in that last artwork you posted, the foreground and particularly the grass is extremely bright for a moonlit scene. (And where is that paper coming from? )

I'd also recommend doing some anatomy studies, environment studies and some still life studies.

Anyway! Great start! I hope that was helpful-- just practice and you'll get there! Can't wait to see your progress.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Opheliac For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for the comment =]
    Yeah ive been struggling with opacity - too low and the image gets streak marks =O lol. And i need to do alot more fully committed studies, i gotta get modivated haha

i dont remember if i commented on urs (i probly did but still) ur sketchbook is really good! =] soo much practice there, it makes my soul itch how little i do in comparison xD

oh and with that image, well err...i really didnt want to post it cos its not really understandable yet hahaha, but basically its meant to be a sunny day, and this persons opened up a (portal?) or something into a moonlit scene, and theyre trying to draw the foreground person toward them (vampire-ish theme, they cant get into the sun, its persuasion not force). but im finding it hard to portray the sunnyness without showing a sun, but i cant cos of the angle =O lol
    and the paper..err..well the wings of that angel thing r meant to be fake, and the parts that are getting hit by the sunlight are dispersing into paper displaying their fakeness..iff that makes sence xD

ANYWAY sorry about that haha and thanks again, the feedbacks really nice =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long since an update, unfortunately. I find my will to draw alot less cos of complecations in my process, and just cos of me =[. but im trying to modivate myself, hopefully ill start daily stuff, cos after all i dont wanna look back wishing i was more committed.

Name:  landscape doodling - sunset and tree copy.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  236.0 KB

This is an image i did in about 30 mins. A really rough sketch i did before i went to a mates place, but i dnt think its too bad really. I didnt use a ref, just my mind =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Custom brushes (ie, leaves, grass) = Big No no!!

A round (of flat) brush is alll you need. Also, judging by the last picture, you used the blur tool for the edge of the grown and horizon. Also big nono!

The blur tool and brushes takes away from what could be a really nice painting!

Anyways, keep it up with those studies and keep going!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Featheredface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    what is this thing? i mean, i know what i think it looks like, but what actually is it?

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...6&d=1293335814

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity Kendall View Post
    what is this thing? i mean, i know what i think it looks like, but what actually is it?

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...6&d=1293335814
    Hahaha just what is was thinking... i think a explanation is in order.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @feathered face:
    Thanks for the input =], it was quite a quick one >.< lol
    Well it was just a very soft brush, but i agree the horison isnt defined well. I find sometimes drawing just clicks for me, others its full of short cuts and issues
    The trees leaves arent looking too good lol, but i usually dont use a brush for that (did it for quickness sake), however i find sometimes custom brushes help, with textures and other things, but they are very limiting, im finding the line between using them all the time and taking forever with the normal brsuh with large bodies of grass xD

@Geth & Velocity Kendall:
    well...its meant to be a little pendant thingy - like from games or fantasy, i often draw a crysal thing wrapped around metal in intricate ways, however...yess that one wasnt finished, nor detailed, nor recignisable haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a progress of a practice portrait ive been working on. i decided to take some of the wise advice people have given me and attempt the dress (rather than just the person) but im gunna work on that predominantly later. First i wanted to do the skin, get the learning seperate in my mind.

10 minute sketch of reference (i traced outline shape...i maybe shouldnt but getting the shapes right just by looking takes ages, and i want to practice one thing at a time), the colour blending probs took about 2 hours (the current dres progress not sure) because im a very slow worker and i dont work efficiently, one of the reasons i wanna try to do more practices timed

Ill finish it up later, but figured i needed to update (plus I've done some pencil drawings i should scan in soon)

Name:  portrait progress.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  111.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work mate... i wonder if u have like practice sketchs over there.. like anatomy studies.. or practicing sketchs... if nt .. go for it.. it will help u alot..

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Facebook page : https://www.facebook.com/salemshanouha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is another portrait study I'm working on. Ive decided to focus on portraits for a while to get the faces positions right

Name:  portrait study.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  203.9 KB

Im not done, but im not rushing, cos i got the skin basically done, which is my main concern. I still need to do the body part, and the hair, but most of that is more complex, which im allowing more time for cos the hair really is crazzeh!

Im gunna try and do one of these a day and upload em...but as many of u might hav noticed im not good at keeping said promices xD

@Rain Walker: Thanks alot! Im not sure what u mean by 'over there' haha >.< but im gunna try and get alot more practices in =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG another artwork the very next day? im gettin better ;p

Name:  house portrait.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  107.7 KB

Because who doesn't love House and his take no crap attitude?
    I stopped the other portrait for this one, because firstly i need to practice males but also its got added depth and complexiy...the facial hair is gunna be be so dam hard!!

However ive been working on this in short bursts...i still need to do it in 1 sitting and with a proper time limit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And another post the next day! im on a roll even tho technically its not new lol

Views: 717
Size:  169.6 KB

Its a bit big >.< but mainly cos of the facial hair, which took a while...but i like the result =]
    figured theres no point uploading if u cant see it right, cos the face doesnt seem to look right without the facial hair (as u might notice from my previous post)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gotta love house

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Barefoot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ive decided to finish some of the portraits off completely

Name:  woman figure dress practice.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  190.2 KB

I worked on the dress. Ill blend a little more, and adjust where the folds are, and then onto the background. I feel like im improving at simplifying my drawing process =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -------
    Name:  glass of apple juice.jpg
Views: 714
Size:  231.7 KB

glass of apple juice (that tends to look like beer lol), prety self explanitory
    i saw it on my desk from my laziness, and gave myself a reason to not move it for even longer
    im a little disapointed its so hard to draw and update every day, but i suppose getting into a rhythm of anything difficult, and im so used to a lazy mentality

Name:  flowerface.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  141.3 KB

OMG its flowerface!! man, its cool that i start alot, but i really need to get to finishing all of these half-baked practices =[

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update on Mr Laurie here. Im not really timing this one..i should be...but im learning how to colour things ive never done like the jacket, so i spose i'll be able to eventually. Anyway, yay for updates =]

Views: 646
Size:  262.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deviantart rift contest progress...It isnt much but i had to design the colossus
    Sad, my college work disables me from finishing in time, but ohwell wat can u do
    Unfortunately when opportunity comes knocking and im inspired, i havnt practiced enough to be good enough to do well, yet when opportunity doesnt knock i loose inspiration and dont practice to be able to do well in situations like this. Ughhh...

Name:  Rift Contest artwork.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  243.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  facebook profile picture ideas.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  207.0 KB

Well ive started drawing again, after a long break. I find working on projects helps to modicate me (or for now will get me actually drawing). Im in need of a profile picture for facebook, and figured i may as well draw one. Its a bit much for fb i spose, but at least it gets me drawing and gets me a profile pic. I want it to be cool, but not stupid or just too out there. To me it makes sence, but if it doesnt please say so, need some opinion on this lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, im back it seems. I find i get lazier and lazier with my art...but my course ended and im working for the forseeable future, which means hopefully i can get back on track. It's kinda annoying though, i forget things when i havnt drawn in ages, and still dont feel improvement...but i spose it will happen

Name:  Magic Resist Armour.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  205.9 KB

Something i worked on a while back. Just a sketch of a natural sort of armour. It originally was alot different, i might not pursue it but at least im drawing. Need to work on linearts more now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So i have a few things to add =]

Name:  lynx bottle drawing.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  49.1 KB

Name:  sunset practice.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  228.3 KB

Name:  posemaniacs1.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  54.4 KB

They're basic and unrefined (might finish off the deodorant can) but i dont like lingering on pictures, i try and get it done all at once.

I recently got a tablet PC which I've been using lately =] its more my style, mainly cos i can draw outside and sketch on screen, i plan on updating daily now, seeing as my course ended and ive settled into a job

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  posemaniacs4.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  72.9 KB
    Name:  posemaniacs5.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  73.4 KB
    Name:  posemaniacs6.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  66.9 KB

Some posemaniacs poses i did today. Was raining so couldnt go out and draw, but working on poses is good nontheless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  League of legends contest.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  225.8 KB

This is an artwork for a contest ive been doing for a game called league of legends. It's not finished, and unfortunately due to me finding out late and work i wont finish it on time, but ill complete it anyway. The composition is kind of boring, which is a large issue of mine in all my artworks, but i do rather like it.

Kind of a pain, I started working casual so i'd get time to live my life, but just the week after i said i'd draw every day i got a full week of work where i was too tired to do anything i wanted. Ohwell wont happen again i suppose.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.