DragonL: thank you! kevin_: thank you ;u; I'm glad to hear that my improvement in studies is rubbing off on my stuff from imagination. c: Creusa: Thank you, and aye aye, cap'n!
two studies for today, since I missed yesterday's daily. 1 hour each. The first is based on a photograph by CA's own Wanimal, and the second is a study of a Cyril Tahmassebi piece. I'm also working on those chibi commissions but I'll wait to post those as a set when I'm done.
I'm hoping that studies of conceptual art by art/artists I admire will help me to better understand lighting, cinematography, landscape building etc as I break them down in order to re-paint. One thing I definitely learned this time around: I can't paint rocks. AHAha, my rockfaces are always /really/ organic looking from all the time I spend drawing people. I need to do some basic studies on mountains/rocks and figure out their structure better.
Boop! Todays stuff. Apparantly I forgot yesterday's speedpaint...whoops. Maybe I'll do another tonight to make up for it.
1) A doodle from imagination for some warm up. Really need to practice painting sharp, angular shapes...they're just so strange ahhaa.
2) today's 1 hr study, based off a James Paick piece.
3) Rock study.
4) Another rock study. This one was painted over top the original photographs..the point was just to simplify the shape and understand the shapes of the rocks.
5) Anotherrr rock study, simplified shapes (not painted over)
I'm trying to fix my sleep schedule so I actually go to bed at a decent hour. I am exhausted I don't think I'll be arting any more tonight hahaa. todays stuff and an enviro from the the other day. I've been bad about dailies and studies lately, need to get back on that tomorrow onwards. To be fair though I've been doing a lot of research and watching loads of tuts and workshops so I've still been fairly productive.
1. enviro wip from imagination. Aha...haha.....
2/3. Yesterdays 1hr study that turned into a 5 hour rendering adventure. I had wanted to practice surface detailing so...veins! hairy legs! all that good stuff.
i also did some half asleep doodles in my sketchbook buuuut I am way too lazy to take pictures of those. Have a couple ideas for an illustration and concept work that needs to be done; i think I'll be forsaking that potrait wip, just not feeling it. Feel like doing something a little more exciting. We shall see!
Last edited by Sapphirelullaby; July 31st, 2012 at 05:20 AM.
Great pieces you have here and great dedication with the studies. The last one is really sharp. Just don't forget to work on your design and illustration skills in addition to studies. That's where the magic happens.
Mat Kaminski: ;v; thank you!! Obstfelderp: aww thank you! And yes, definitely. I have a habit of keeping my imagination stuff to myself sometimes because im worried that's not what this forum is really about because it tends to be kind of stylistic, but thats just silly thinking. I'll definitely be posting more design stuff; in fact I just got started on some ahah
Hey guys! I still haven't been doing well with the whole 'daily' thing, ahh. Just loads of stuff going on at once, finishing that chibi commission, yadda yadda. Eitherway I've still been rather productive, watching lots of vids and doing research etc.
I'm happy to say that I managed to get Unemployment insurance after I lost my job in May, which will allow me to continue my studies pretty much uninhibited for a while, so that's exciting and a huge relief. I've decided I'm going to use the next two years working my ass off to study for my Graphic Design degree, practice for what I /really/ want to do (concept/production art), and seriously begin to put a portfolio together. Maybe I can find some small freelance jobs before I graduate, that would be amazing, so we'll see! I'm hoping to have at least a workable portfolio by next summer.
In the mean time here's everything I got done today! Lots of images.
1-6) All the chibi commissions are done. These had a bit of a tight deadline and well, frankly, they were for a friend so I severely underpriced myself ahah. I don't mind though because I had fun and he was helping me out in a pinch. I am hoping to one day in the future re-do a couple and just kind of go crazy on rendering them with lots of detail and surface attention because its something I need to practice.
7) Using my character Teri as character concept practice. So here's some sillohuettes. After this, I'll be doing conceptwork on his suit and gauntlets in more detail, then a character turn around/rendering, and then finaallyy a full out illustration if I still feel up the task and the idea still seems good. we'll see!
8) I'm calling this enviro done, even though it doesn't have the details I wanted to include and isn't really finished. I'm a little bit tired of it, and it wasn't planned out well enough. I think in the future I'll be doing smaller, much quicker thumbs (the more I can do in less time the better), and for the larger ones I'll try to plan out more extensively and see how that works out for me.
I was too tired for a daily today ahaha.
Last edited by Sapphirelullaby; August 3rd, 2012 at 09:52 PM.
Sajok: ;v; thank you, I really appreciate the kind words. I'll do my best! Immortal Cintiq: Thank you! You know I didn't really realize that you made me re-examine the pieces ahhaa, now I can see it. I'll be sure to soften the effect next time CrashPoint thank you again! I'm glad my studies seem to be doing well ahah. Need to get in the habit of posting original stuff too regularly.
ok! todays stuff. Started pretty late since I wasn't feel that well earlier.
1) still-life study WIP. Gonna try to do lots of small ones. I had to stop because my little sister wanted the light off to sleep ahha. Oh, the joys of sharing a room.
2) Just a doodle to relax and play around with different brushes.
Last edited by Sapphirelullaby; August 5th, 2012 at 06:06 AM.