Not sure if I should stop going to uni...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Not sure if I should stop going to uni...

BlightedArt is offline That annoying itch you just can't seem to scratch Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Not sure if I should stop going to uni...

Hi everyone. long post inbound...

I've finished my second year at university a month or so ago, and have two more years to go. I'm doing a mixed course of illustration, interactive media and digital animation...

At work today, my boss and another co-worker (who just finished his course at my uni) were talking about how there have been a lot of staff at our institution quitting their jobs there, like the uni had gone under new management or something, and talked about the likelihood of the quality of the university decreasing...

So far I've been on a good-bad relationship with the quality of education there. You get a few really good tutors that drop some great advice, then other tutors who just finished their masters at the uni the year before and are teaching there until they are figuring out what they want to do........ But overall I think that the most useful things I've learned is from the books recommended by the tutor; most of the assignments are a matter of "We want you to make this... with these requirements, now go out and do the research and look up youtube tutorials about how to use the software" etc... and it's not so much learning from the tutors themselves.

I've met some really great people there though, and that's definitely helped, but it feels like some of the very random assignments (writing essays about postmodernism) are cutting into my time that could be spent studying things more relevant... I'm still interested in reading about postmodernism etc... but in my own time.

--

However, the plus side of staying at uni would be that nice little bit of paper at the end... which would be more important for me here in New Zealand as it's very probable that I'll be living in another country to work, and it'll be much easier to get around with that degree.

--

Also, I'm not without practical experience. I'm still trying to get my feet wet on the illustration side of things (as will always be the case, you never stop learning), but I've been employed for about 3 years at a well-known media company in New Zealand doing graphic design and animation. And right now I am working part time at a small graphic / web design company here for some bigger clients as an assistant designer / developer (full time hours while uni is out)...

I'm 23 now with two more years at uni to go, and there's the possibility of me taking a gap year then going into the third year of study right off the bat, which is a bit comforting, but I'm not sure about finishing study at the age of 26...

Thanks for reading that, it was pretty long... I'd really appreciate your two cents on the dilemma and any stories you have regarding a similar situation / advice about it.

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If the people teaching you are tenured it'll be a decade before you see any changes to program quality (for the better or for the worse). Also, as far as I can tell, everyone (except the undergrads) at Uni moans about how everything is declining in quality pretty much all the time.

I'd look for actual hard evidence of significant decline before I quit. Even if there is one, you might be well out of school before it really gets going.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm confused whether you're asking whether you should quit or finish at 26?

If you're looking at quitting, that would be just a waste. I'd finish it through and reevaluate from there.

I think your question is about finishing at 26? But if that's the case then I'll point you towards Baron Impossible and MindCandyMan.

Both were older than 26 and have fulfilled their dreams. I have to ask, why is 26 seeming like a bad age to finish? I'm 23 and starting school again only part time, because I went from thinking that Art could only be a hobby (otherwise I'd kill my desire to do it, like what happened to my mother). Whether it takes me 2 years or 10, I want to be an artist and the age I finish doesn't matter.

I think, honestly, the concern should be on your art skill and focusing on constantly learning (which you said you're doing) rather than on your age. Age is just a number. Your skill and dedication are what will define you.

Take the break if you need it and come back fresh, but never stop drawing

Members who have read this thread: 1