Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Strange, strange world...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts

Strange, strange world...

Warning: rant ahead. OK...here's the deal...art is not, I repeat, not rocket science. There are a lot of great books out there and the principles of representational picture making are well understood. Buy a few good books, take a class or two, work your ass off for a few years and you'll find most of the answers yourself.

The reason for the thread title is because everyone seems to think the internet is where all answers lie - "I'll just ask" or download or whatever...instead of investing their own money, time or effort in learning. Just amazes me the amount of naive, trivial questions flooding these forums, which is why I haven't been on here much lately. I understand not knowing and having questions...but, finding your own answers is far more valuable than having others tell you. If you're really stuck on something or searching for some particular resource that may be valid.

In the end the reason for the rant/frustration is all the trivial noise seriously degrades and diminishes the value of a site like CA. Anyway, no offense is meant to anyone, I would just like to see CA remain a valuable resource.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Generally you might want to avoid CA from about Dec 16th to around Jan7th, at Easter, and the end of June, early July.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    What questions should be asked?

There are always more beginners than the accomplished. Things that are difficult to understand to beginners often times seem painfully obvious to someone who has been through it already many times.

Still, you are right.

One can't help but think that it is those occasional bits of "exactly what you needed to hear" which are what make the rest seem so pointless and frustrating.

I hope you will help me figure out to paint hair well if you know how. There is a thread in the critiques section. Still working at it. Sometimes a well placed outside perspective can make a huge difference.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robotus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    LOL Craig - I didn't realize CA was "seasonal"!

Yeah Robotus - I certainly don't mean questions shouldn't be asked - but as the level of noise (questions that really shouldn't be asked) rises, the valuable information, questions and resources are drowned out until the once beneficial resource becomes useless.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    LOL Craig - I didn't realize CA was "seasonal"!
    You should be able to figure out why. The next few weeks, as folks test-drive their brand new computers, should be especially fun .

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    T'ain't just CA. Seems to me the whole internet is more incoherent than usual this month...

(Which is fine, because so am I.)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    It is only through the tests of reality that we learn to respect our time, and sharpen our wills and discipline our minds. Only engineering in real life teaches us the difference between trivia and salience. It is already hard enough, being of the world, to figure out what is true, or relevant, through experience. A generation suckled on endless ungrounded stimulation, flat images of life, unwarranted praise, and relentless pandering, lives in a wilderness of mirrors by comparison. Don't expect much from kids raised as isotope arms.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    LOL Elwell...you're right, I should have known better!

Kev...that was deep, poetic and true. Just seems strange to me that there is so much "tell me what to do"..."tell me how to do it"..."tell me why to do it"...does not bode well for our future.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Or there's a lot of young people seeking community who don't live around a lot of other artists and aspiring artists, not living in relatively blessed places, like, oh, New York or California, and maybe we should remember even if we've heard one such person's trivial question a few thousand times before, probably this hypothetical person is asking it for the first time, be patient, and explain how the thinking which produced the question needs some examining.

Of course, no mercy for serial trivial question-askers!
    "Three's so little room for error."--Elwell

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cory Hinman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Rocket Science? No, most people wouldn't compare it to that so much as magic. they think that skills in art are really the result of a quick trick, some unknown little part of Art that they've to discover, and are searching through the net for that answer.

But yes, Art is the result of cold, hard practice, and most of the time that is exactly what you say.

However, you can't really begrudge people their questions. They'll find it out in their own time, with enough tenacity.

I will say, though, that I wouldn't figure the internet to be seasonal. It's topped with naivety any time of the year.
    Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lintire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 887 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post

Just seems strange to me that there is so much "tell me what to do"..."tell me how to do it"..."tell me why to do it"...does not bode well for our future.
    It's just human nature to take the path of least resistance.

The interwebs makes this very easy to do re questions. The opposite side of the coin is that there are pages and pages of near useless, redundant watered down garbage on line.

Oh, but the serendipity!

Were it not for one of many Wikipedia detours, I would've never known that Hitler hated the art of the woman who was responsible for Hummel Figurines. . .

Thanks
    @Cory - I agree that associating with fellow artists is great and perhaps that is what people are looking for here. The problem is...(best illustrated by analogy perhaps)...it would be like someone jumping into the middle of a conversation on art/illustration/whatever and asking a ridiculously naive question...far better to maybe sit back and listen to teh conversation.

Also a good point about that being the individual's first time to ask that question or encounter that problem in their own art. But...that is why the FAQ was invented...most of those questions are answered if one cares to bother to look before asking. The questions that aren't already answered can likely only be discovered for one's self.

@Lintire - really good point about people thinking they just need to learn the right tricks - use the right pencil, etc. I've noticed that younger generations today seem to require teh exact fitting reference to what they have in mind, they seem to no longer be able to extrapolate or use something as actual "reference"...again, strange, strange world.

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! And I guess it is a little of my own naivete to not realize there is a pattern here!

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Thanked 2,200 Times in 1,055 Posts
    No offense, but do I detect just a smidgeon of "Darn kids these days, they have it so easy, why, when I was a kid, we had it tough and it was good for us" around here...

Kids in every generation have always had their fair share of naivete, wanting a quick fix, thinking they know better, or acting just plain dumb. It goes with the territory, no matter what the current culture or technology is.

I hope no one is blaming the internet for the faults of the current generation, though. If you ask me, blaming everything on the internet is a bit facile... The internet's a tool, it can be used well or badly. On the one hand, I see it offering an overwhelming amount of easily accessed "information", much of which is rubbish, so it's easy to wander into misconceptions. On the other hand... well, it also offers a wealth of useful information which might not otherwise be available to people living in the middle of nowhere. (I'd have killed to have the internet when I was growing up.) And okay, we have a generation half-living in a virtual space, which may or may not be a good thing; but on the other hand we have a generation that's grown up communicating with other people of all backgrounds around the world - I'm banking on that as a good thing. And we have a generation that seems to take easily to entrepreneurship - I've seen kids launching their own products or businesses before they're even old enough to be legally employed. I'm hoping that's another good thing.

As with every generation, this one has its pros and cons... Give it thirty years or so and we'll see how it all pans out.

In the meantime, I usually try to remember what I was like as an impossible teenager when dealing with them. It helps.
    Last edited by QueenGwenevere; December 21st, 2010 at 03:39 AM.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast