Traditional or Digital art?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Traditional or Digital art?

Which do you appreciate seeing more? Digital art or art that physically exists and can be photographed or scanned.

And in the " traditional " art section do you prefer abstract art or literal art

I will admit to being an abstract artist in general, I only started a few months ago and haven't been trained. I tend to draw what i see in my head when i listen to music, that being colours and shapes when I am at a complete state of relaxation ( no drugs )

Last edited by PO; December 20th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.
    Gruaig :: Gorm :: Dubh
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Cerque:
    "You can't build on vagueness" - Bill Evans (Jazz pianist)

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 681 Posts
    Oh hell...*runs out of thread*

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Oh hell...*runs out of thread*
    What is wrong with the question?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,924 Times in 2,378 Posts
    Your an abstract artist by your own admission right? The only way to make your art is traditionally. Nobody will pay you to do abstract art as a concept artist digitally, so you need to be in galleries. I would think most people here prefer realism over abstract because they are here to learn to be illustrators and production and concept artists. Not much call for abstract artists in those disciplines.

Thanks
    I really have no idea what the terms are or anything like that, I am amateur in my understanding of art and its history and technical terms. I was just told this was a good art site. I am just curious what most people's opinions are on the matter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerque View Post
    What is wrong with the question?
    It gets asked a lot here. A lot a lot. Then people start arguing opinions, senselessly.
    Can't have a thread where people just say "I like this and this is why". Someone always chimes in with "My opinion makes more sense."

I like traditional methods, being able to hold a physical creation over digital replication is more satisfying to me. As far as abstract vs. traditional, I don't care - if I like the way it looks than the category doesn't really matter.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan K View Post
    It gets asked a lot here. A lot a lot. Then people start arguing opinions, senselessly.
    Can't have a thread where people just say "I like this and this is why". Someone always chimes in with "My opinion makes more sense."

I like traditional methods, being able to hold a physical creation over digital replication is more satisfying to me. As far as abstract vs. traditional, I don't care - if I like the way it looks than the category doesn't really matter.
    Yes, I like that view you hold as well. I just don't understand why people argue so much over this?

"Artists use lies to tell the truth. Yes, I created a lie. But because you believed it, you found something true about yourself."

Last edited by PO; December 20th, 2010 at 07:47 PM.

Thanks
    Yes, I like that view you hold as well. I just don't understand why people argue so much over this?
    Touchy subject when you play with the categorical boxes artists place them selves in, I think. Better to just not have a box.

Thanks
    Touchy subject when you play with the categorical boxes artists place them selves in, I think. Better to just not have a box.
    Jesus, I wasn't looking to start an argument if thats what you guys were thinking. I just have very little knowledge on artist's opinions on these things as I know so few.

If someone cannot share their opinion without being shouted at or ridiculed then something is wrong.

I personally find mindscapes more interesting ( Although I love literal art as well ). By "percieved" reality I mean visual "reality." The photograph does that now, painting is free of that obligation now. The cosmos doesn't consist soley of photons bouncing on two-dimensional plains, there's so much more to reality than what we can percieve with our pre-hensile fleshy bodies. I personally find mindscapes more exhilirating than landscapes. I enjoy looking at abstract art that explores this. I also enjoy literal art ( I hope that is the right term - I am quite ignorant of art terminology ) and portraits of people that capture their persona and spirit. I think Joseph Mallord Turner is very interesting because he sort of paints landscapes based on his own personal experience. And so this allows for abstraction as he can exaggerate whatever he wants based on what he experienced in that place.

Let me know if you think I am speaking shit or not ^^.

Last edited by PO; December 20th, 2010 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks
    Jesus, I wasn't looking to start an argument if thats what you guys were thinking.
    Lol, I don't think anyone thinks that - it's just what happens usually.

Thanks
    Lol, I don't think anyone thinks that - it's just what happens usually.
    Alright good, don't anyone post in here if they just want to start a fight now Please.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,924 Times in 2,378 Posts
    I am not making a judgement, I am just offering my opinion about the site and the disciplines people prefer here.

Thanks
    If someone cannot share their opinion without being shouted at or ridiculed then something is wrong..
    generally that is a very good statement,
    however if I asked what time it was every thirty seconds for a couple hours, and several other people did the same, you could probably be excused for getting a little snappy after a while.

Whereas if they all took the effort to tell time on their own and only the occasional person had to ask, you would be very patient.

There are a great number of resources out there covering the basics, a few hours on your part reading will help focus your questions a bit. This would be usefull both for yourself and us

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    At the risk of being a bit blunt, a little bit of time checking out the site and looking through the previous entries in this forum would have saved a bit of trouble.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Um, yeah, what Nezumi said. Just browse back through "Art Discussion" a few pages and you'll see this subject come up again and again and again (including the infamous "Banishment of Beauty" battleground-I mean, thread...)

The problem is that every time this subject comes up, it turns into either a HUGE messy flame-war or an endless vicious circle of people spouting off from their particular entrenched positions.

Let's just say some people take this stuff way too seriously. You may as well debate religion. It gets THAT bad.

*Leaving now before the troops come marching in*

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Um, yeah, what Nezumi said. Just browse back through "Art Discussion" a few pages and you'll see this subject come up again and again and again (including the infamous "Banishment of Beauty" battleground-I mean, thread...)

The problem is that every time this subject comes up, it turns into either a HUGE messy flame-war or an endless vicious circle of people spouting off from their particular entrenched positions.

Let's just say some people take this stuff way too seriously. You may as well debate religion. It gets THAT bad.

*Leaving now before the troops come marching in*
    Newbies never do that

Thanks
    Honestly, the digital art I do like invariably has been created by an artist with strong traditional skills.

Sorry, I only answered the first part. I prefer to work representationally, but enjoy any arrangement of line, color, or shape that shows the attention of a thinking, feeling human-being.

Last edited by Cory Hinman; December 21st, 2010 at 01:26 AM.
    "Three's so little room for error."--Elwell

Thanks

Thumbs up

I will admit to being an abstract artist in general, I only started a few months ago and haven't been trained. I tend to draw what i see in my head when i listen to music, that being colours and shapes when I am at a complete state of relaxation ( no drugs )
    Have you ever considered of giving up abstract "art" and go into the field of representational art? I'm very sure with your talent, you can be an amazing artist, and you'll feel alive. I hope to start an art movement one day which encourages people to abandon abstract "art" and take up representational art.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeon_OND View Post
    Have you ever considered of giving up abstract "art" and go into the field of representational art? I'm very sure with your talent, you can be an amazing artist, and you'll feel alive. I hope to start an art movement one day which encourages people to abandon abstract "art" and take up representational art.
    I see no reason to. Abstract art has enormous potential when done well, it can invirogate the mind, make us question our perception of reality. Abstract to me is the great unknown. I like representational art but for now I am not feeling it to move in that direction but I can see myself dabbling in it in the near future.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,211 Posts
    I really have no idea what the terms are or anything like that, I am amateur in my understanding of art and its history and technical terms.
    You're sitting on the biggest information resource that humankind has ever had. Every time you see a term you don't understand, hop along to Wikipedia and dictionary.com and look things up.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.