skin rendering
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: skin rendering

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

skin rendering

Hi peoples.

I have been posting for critique in my sketchbook, but I think i will get what I'm after in this particular forum.

Skin rendering! It haunts a lot of people, me included. I just need to know if I am on the right track. I'm doing a set of portraits of my cartoon characters, this is the first.

am i on the right track? is there hope for me?! haha.

Be brutal, please.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    here <--- My progressive sketchbook~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i got to say that you are on the right track, you have the knowledge where light goes and your colors are great. the only thing i see bad here is the anatomy and the highlights,, dont chose pure white for highlights, it makes it look like plastic

Click and see my Deviantart account http://ban---kai.deviantart.com/

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BAN_KAI For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, thank you! What bshould I use for highlights, an off white or perhaps something more light-source related? I suppose highlights would really depend on the tone & atmosphere of the picture, correct?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're exactly correct; the color of the highlights depends largely on the color of the light and the surrounding objects. Most of the time on skin, in natural light, there isn't a whole lot of difference between the midtones and the highlights in terms of their hue, but when you start getting into things like reflections and surfaces like metal, it really comes into play.

But as far as this picture goes, the highlights don't need to be that bright. Unless it's wet skin won't reflect that much light.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the eyes are too distracting to look at the skin :c

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you flip the picture? Cause if you did.. you will find out that the head was really really off. So... here is the advice: Flip the picture time from time. That will give you another perspective on youre drawing. refresh youre look on things!

Thanx,

Writer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feed back! These are things that are wrong with all my drawings, things that I can't always pick up on all the time.

I have had so much trouble with this picture right from the start, here I have spent a while trying to correct what I felt were anatomy issues (from the eye lids all the through to the fact that the nose didn't run perpendiculuar with the face, & even now it doesn't feel right O: ) I didn't worry too much about the shoulders, though I know they could also do with some work. I also toned down the highlights. Flipping the picture really helped I feel, I've tried to get it all feeling a lot better.

Critical feed back appreciated!

Last edited by troyzart; December 20th, 2010 at 03:02 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe it's just me but I dislike those very desaturated colors on her skin. Her base skin color, blush and the warmer shadow colors are fine (I'm still a beginner at skin coloring FYI but I love it ).
    She has pretty eyes just the whole face doesn't work...
    If we look at her somewhat from above (it seems we do that), we shouldn't see her nostrils so well except if your intention is an almost pig nosed gal.
    Her nose isn't totally between the eyes but considering the other elements, I think her left eye still isn't in the right place (it should be lower. the brow shows that too). Her ear is too high too. Stylized characters often wear theirs low but I never saw such high ones.

*sigh* I fear I can't help much, even seeing the problems isn't enough to solve them, I experienced that.

Good luck

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shiNIN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks shiNIN, I noticed the nose wasn't centered originally so I tried fixing it, but i clearly havent fixed it enough! I think I'm spending too much time on this & just need to start fresh - it all came down to a bad sketch to begin with I feel. The face line (chin, cheek, etc) is wrong, & throws the entire face off I think, leaving a mixture of bad anatomy & perspective. I also noticed the pig-nose type problem & again tried addressing it, but it's just no good

I think my problem right from the beginning here was that I rushed the innitial sketch, & went straight on to paints mainly because i was very keen to try some new ideas. Although the end result is less than satisfactory, I still feel i accomplished a bit when it comes to skin rendering. The desaturated parts were a sort of mistake that came from using a bit too much blue in some areas, then I thought it looked kind of cool so I stuck with it.

Ah well, time for the next one! Things I need to address right from the beginning are facial expression, positioning of the features, keeping in mind the desired perspective, less white in my highlights. If anyone wants to add anything more to this, feel free - it's part of learning, & I haven't really had a decent crowd to critique my work until now, so please go ahead!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm.. Ive redlined a few details!

Hope this helps!!

Greetz

Writerof

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Writerof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh wow that is fantastic! I've saved the images in my reference folder because that is going to help me out alot. Thank you!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't resist having a go at finishing this - this is a quick 10 minute paint over, & even though I rendered the fixes speedily, I feel it looks 100% better, though it's still not perfect. but I can confidently say I have tried my hardest on this~ Huge learning curve.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 997 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    MUCH better. The nose is still nearer to the nearest eye and the mouth isn't correctly placed but when I look at your drawing my biggest problem is the lighting Till now, the eyes bothered me horribly. I'm very sensitive sensitive ateye positioning issues.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.