ChoW#227 :: Xmas 3week Special : 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: ChoW#227 :: Xmas 3week Special : 4 Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by reginanegra View Post
    unless the idea you actually came up with is space-ships or someting like that, i believe everyone who has seen supernatural, at the first mention of 4 horsemen, thinks of cars..... so you cant be the first
    me on the other hand as much as i like that idea, i am going to go with the more traditional but epic horse.
    Oh no, I didn't mean the cars or bikers. I was thinking of seahorses

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a quick scetch, i just discovered this awesome topic and got some inspiration...
    no one else had the idea of famine being a skinny model/anorexia girl? sweet! not sure where to take this yet, but i will probably concentrate on famine and maybe add pestilence later, perhaps they will be sisters.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneMag View Post
    Oh no, I didn't mean the cars or bikers. I was thinking of seahorses
    oh damnit i thought your idea was sealions or something similar. but i see how your idea is better in all ways

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    progress on death , trying to achieve a look like he beeing a sublime killer (with all possible meanings of the word sublime ^^ ), thats why I gave him two sickles (slit slit ) instead of a Scythe ( hacking splattering),the mass of skeletons carrying his throne ( which is still totally out of shape, I know ^^ ) around still just hinted will work on that tomorrow- Promise!

First Idea for famine will be : A little, crippled half mummified, smoldering guy standing on a huge Scale ( much like a giant siege tower ), he will be on the one side of the scale demanding to balance his weight, but what the mandkind doesnt know is that every single ounce put on the other side of the scale makes him exactly that much heavier, so its impossible to balance the scale because he will be allways heavier at the minimum of his own personal weight ....and thats how he causes famine...

And War will ride a chariot, drawn by some supernatural beeings not yet disclosed ^^

quick sketches will follow soon, know that they all have different kinds of rides but I hope that wont exclude me from the voting...maybe I see it that way because for me they dont ride alongside onto a battlefield its more like everyone has his own part ....for example:

On a arbitrary battlefield , there will be the King of Kings chasing for the King/General/Champion who guides the Armies, War beeing in the thick of it slaying everything that moves , Death follows in his wake determining and collecting the death, and Famine standing on a huge hill weakening the Armies, sucking the live out of them. This could be seen metaphorical or figuratively , one time the four not to be seen in person but by their acting and the representation of this on the battlefield and the other case the four actually beeing there doing their thing ^^.

Wish I could draw with oil ....would make a huge 2m per 3m painting showing that scene, sadly I know nothing about drawing in oil *sigh*

Last edited by Partisan; December 22nd, 2010 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matias, i love your concept...

Here's Pale so far.

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do
    With your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

My Website

Sketchoholic - GET INTENSE!!!

Crimson Daggers - Meet to draw together

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just done some quick thumbnails. Doubt I'll have time to finish them all, but you never know. I'll pick a particular one if not.
    They're all quite contemporary ideas i'm afraid =P no sword and sorcery or biblical stuff Just my own take on the theme

Parsakoira, wow, ok your horse anatomy isn't perfect (who's is, they're hard!), but its close, and the mood and technique you've got is amazing.

JanJager, that's a nice composition, I'm not sure I'm convinced by the colours yet

Kissorkill, oh wow guts, aren't they usually lower down though?

Gloombunny - my favourite bit is the horse's headpiece. Is the centre of balance on the rider quite right - i'm not sure - maybe he needs to lean forward a bit?

GEB yours is just cool.

Electricsandal - I like your take on the word conquest =P

Gobi - Either your horse's face is too short or the lower jaw is too long. Admittedly its a fantasy carnivorey beast, so I suppose its not essential to get it right.

Fudgeloaf - yours creeps me out for some reason lol. I think Rudolph needs more neck and less tail?

Xabian - Check out some horse skulls and leg joints, the bones are the key!

Partisan - Your horse is looking too cool for school :] Feel the speed. I like the metalwork too. I'm not sure about the halo. Its not so convincing a picture, takes some realism away. But it fits the theme really well I guess.

Kxu - The horse shoulders look a bit like human shoulders. Horse legs join onto the chest much further down. Like the composition and skull though

Keppo - Is that a burning city reflection in the sword? Cool. Shiny armour :]

Vablo - Loove the texture and colours in yours. The horse head looks too short to me but other than that its nice.

Andreruben - Beautiful, bit more depth n itll be really haunting

Dionesiist - Awesome saddlery detail and I like how they are getting their own individuality as opposed to being just steeds.

Axazel - your War is a fantastic concept. Might just be me but the horse looks like its smaller in frame than War... not sure it'd be able to carry his weight?

Brokenlawnmower - I like how its going, feeling the spookiness.

Urotskidoji - oooh, looking forward to seeing more. I love Death especially. Conquest and Famine's horses have really long legsand big heads, maybe experiment with proportions when you work them up.

Missile - good ta know I'm not alone in doing a more modern approach. Interesting idea with the carousel. Quite an ambitious concept though, good luck.

Bnoch - Whooosh, that's me being blown away

Lunipard - haha, I had that idea too... sorry to say. Mine's holding a pair of bathroom scales though... at least that's a small modification?

Artbymanon, great horse musculature!

Sorry I havent had time to comment on everyone's.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ceinwen Fang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pulled some time out of ass to do some more. I'm gunna call war pretty much complete, though I'm sure I could spend days fine tuning. Crits welcome.

Parsakoira: They look wicked! I love the colour schemes

Larchist: Thanks for the compliment. Is yours a napoleonic theme?

Love to stay and chat but I've off out for a Christmas meal. Laters!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    damn parsakoira,that's pure design sex right there.
    only crit i have is that war's arm kinda looks like it's bent backwards awkwardly instead of forward. it's the folds on the cloth.

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not totally decided on my War one. I drew a fox hunter, thinking maybe I would do a humanity war on nature idea with extinct animals and stuff hanging from the bridle and burning trees, etc. But its seeming a bit ambitious now. Gonna think on it a bit more.
    The others are Death - obesity epidemic, Famine - starving supermodel, and Conquest is a businessman banker type guy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More progress. I have to start the other finals also. And if i have time i'll do a composition with all 4 together, but using another theme, kids in wooden horses pherhaps! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My rough for death.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Axazel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL Time to sound like a total creeper...Parsakoira I totally want to have babies with your art...that is all ;//u//;

*rolls away*

19. The Following User Says Thank You to eeedward For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha eeedward, im not sure if i should take that as a compliment or what 8D

Last edited by ~KJK~; December 22nd, 2010 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So I finally got around doing something myself. Not really thought over and all so the design is pretty standard but hey: gotta start somewhere :p

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my try at war, seeing some excellent work here, guys

- "I delete data like you on my way to real errors."

- "Uhm, that's a little extreme, commander."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AndreRuben Nice veins up the side. Its looking rather sickly. The hand grabbing the flames of the horse is very well done. Right now the horse feels stocky, but I think that's because Im seeing the ends of his legs as nubs. Seeing the connection from leg to ground should fix that. Cant wait to see the next version~

GEB There is great movement in this. Loads of good things happening.

Larchist It will be interesting to see where youll go. Thanks for the input. I want war to look like hes going to just run the horse into the ground- like he is too much for the poor thing. Is this sort of what youre getting, or should I go about it in a different way other than scale?

Parsakoira They each have their own strengths. I like the face piece on conquer. The details on famine such as the breath from the horse and dripping from the scale are delicious. The mood in death. But War is my favorite. You have here what it takes to make a good image movement, texture, and solidity, and then some.

ArtByManon Your Death/Pale looks like its set in stone, and yet so fluid. This is going to be very beautiful. It looks like if you keep the background that way, it could ultimately flatten out all of your beautiful rendering. I dont know if you have greater plans for that texture. I could be very wrong.

Partisan I love the sickles already. I look forward to where this is going.

Lunipard haha, I do have a shell of a woman of sorts.. but not a skinny model. I have a feeling Im really going to enjoy seeing yours finished.

Gobi For a second I though the cloth over her eyes were sunglasses. Haha. The teeth are beautiful. I really like the idea of the exhaust being souls. What is the sling for? Is it holding on to something, or fashion?

Stovieheed I think the headpiece of the horse is really strong. Neck is a bit funny though, kinda chunky. Ill be watching for your next version!

Matias Im really looking forward to yours. Your composition is strong and colors look good. Two things I can really learn from.

Electric_sandal dang. You dont hold back on detail do you? Your bow and arrow are really great very real. I feel like Im being hypnotized .

Naphtali Does he ride a horse too? That would be a mind trip for sure. I wish the file were a bit smaller that was I could see it all at once. But I like what Im seeing. Good luck with the rest of it!

Bnoch This is looking SO intense! Your famine is probably my favorite of all of them, along with their horse. Keep going! Im really excited!

Lancer_idenoure - The crown is the strongest part so far. I think it is cool when people manage to make a full length piece with all of them in it. Good luck with all of them. Based, off of your icon this should be cool.

Broken_Lawnmower Its like toxic sludge! Your horses face is really capturing. Are you going to be doing all of them?

Emerging Everything is so fleshed out and tangible. The lighting is great and the face-neck connection is really unique. I dont know why, but Im really digging those teeth. Im looking forward to the horse.

Romediggity Finised one already? Dang! You made the chains into very effective legs. Its a little hard to inderstand what is in his left hand. Is it an orb that sucks in spirits? The skull and hood are the best part for sure.

Bethany K. Yours is really different from all of the others. You might want to add some thickness to the armor. Right now, they look like sheets as thick as paper. If this is what you want, then no prob. I figure a big guy like that is probably going to pack some heavy armor.

J@n!t - Yours reminds me of those old western comics. The skeleton is so cute. The colors are actually really great.

Kissorkill Wars horse is really wonderfully rendered. Is this your final composition, or just a character ref. sheet kind of deal? Ill be excited to see what you do with these guys.

IDP Cant tell who is who, but the one spitting is the coolest. It would be kind of ironic if that one was famine.. what with drought and all that. All of your figures are looking really solid. Ill be looking out for your future stuff.

Keppo Your metal is looking really great. Its a little disjointed just because the metal is really rendered but nothing else is. Obviously a temporary problem. Cant wait to see the full deal.

Vablo This is great. I cant really say much I would read the book if this was a cover.

Dionesiist Your sketches are awesome. I think its really cool that youve gone into designing the horse, and are obviously giving it a lot of attention. It should turn out really strong. I look forward to your next post.

Out of time.. more people later.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Axazel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Parsakoira: @_@ It's supposed to be a compliment...but...OTL;;;

I just really love your art D: I will fangirl and oogle all over it now

/creeper >_>;;;

26. The Following User Says Thank You to eeedward For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Axazel View Post
    Gobi For a second I though the cloth over her eyes were sunglasses. Haha. The teeth are beautiful. I really like the idea of the exhaust being souls. What is the sling for? Is it holding on to something, or fashion?
    the sling is for the exhaust... but i think, if there is a mouth in her belly, the exhaust could come out of her body,too^^
    thank you

Successful Troll is Successful
    My deviantart
    My Sketchbook
    trolls exist! who else killed all the unicorns?
    My brother Partisan
    TONS OF TUTOIRALS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Axazel View Post
    My rough for death.

Gorgeous movement and atmosphere...

My Website

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtByManon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update - wanted death to be like an oozing sore. In one description the colour pale is described as corpse coloured... LONG way to go yet. Wasn't sure about the gaping mouth on the rider, any crits on that? Obviously I've spent most of my time on the horse so far, so just gonna keep trucking. I want to do War next.

My Website

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtByManon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,425 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    quick note from me, and with no offense at all, but to me its like death riding on the horse of Pestilence, the horse is very cool and sickly looking btw ! but as I said, to me it looks like Death stole the horse from Pestilence .

so long
    Seb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, so many of these look AMAZING already...

I'm not sure if I'm actually going to be participating, but I thought I'd share this super quick sketch of the idea I had for War on his red rocking horse.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsakoira View Post
    thanks yall for feedback

Wow... These are fantastic! I especially love the chaos symbol on conquest's flag (and I think you tried to incorporate it into his helm am I right?) As well as war's horse's bleeding nose/mouth. Death as well is amazing... especially the texture and coloring of the horse. I wish I could fully express how great these look!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to DarkRyuukin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Axazel: I wanna try to, but it might come down to the wire. I don't know whether I should do them one at a time or do what Parsakoira did and kinda have them all going at once.

Here's a little rendering update (mostly on the horse)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    @Truepinkas
    Nice take. Can bee really nice with the light from the window.
    @ArtByManon
    Great rendered horse. It stands very good on the ground. But I think you shuld have some kind of soft shadow under it.
    @romediggity
    Definitely death.
    @Suneater
    Great action Inventive design. Perhaps work a bit on the leg anatomy. Are there a special purpose to have cloven hoofs.
    @Pixeltuner
    Good start. I suppose you going to work out legs and feet's a bit more.
    @Axazel
    I like the atmosphere.
    @AndreRuben
    Nice. Looks like a real supernatural creature.Hope you render it out a bit more. It such a good idea.
    @GEB
    Great rendering.
    @ larchist
    Good start.
    @Parsakoira
    Great. Very powerful design, rendering and colours. Perhaps ref the legs and hooves.
    @matias
    Nice take. Can bee very cool with the red skie.
    @electric_sandal
    Wonderful details and design. Perhaps work out the cloth. Looks a bit rushed compeered to the armour.
    @ Bnoch
    The action is awesome.
    Broken Lawnmower
    I like the design idea.

Sorry for not criting all. So many great entries.
    I could not resist going for the medieval. even thou this topic could bee so cool with a new twist.

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really liking some of these. Apologies if the liberties I'm taking with the creatures is outside of the brief. I plan to make them all color coordinated and what not at least. The idea is that they're riding scavengers which everyone finds especially loathsome. I think the fourth one will be on a Monitor lizard thing.

I'm also considering putting the four of them in separate images--I really like what some of you have done using four separate images with corresponding color palettes.

41. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Artfix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is absolutely terrifying! I vote mouth open for sure. Nice work! (they bleeding eye, hooves, and gaping skeletal mouth really creep me out!)

Quote Originally Posted by ArtByManon View Post
    Update - wanted death to be like an oozing sore. In one description the colour pale is described as corpse coloured... LONG way to go yet. Wasn't sure about the gaping mouth on the rider, any crits on that? Obviously I've spent most of my time on the horse so far, so just gonna keep trucking. I want to do War next.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to zy. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1