Sketchbook: My57 - College Years! (LoL) - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually kind of proud of myself this time around. Both figures are done in an hour, HOWEVER! I found out near the end of the first painting to the left (well when the time ran out for me) that opacity does make an actual difference in Artists oils. It doesn't do a lot for Oil Pastel so I never really tried lowering it on Artists Oils. Funny how that works out.

So the second one was done with opacity turned down to 40% when I needed to begin rendering after blocking in. AND OMG so much faster. *Dances* - Well so I believe. The second one does have more detail than the one on the left.

A few mess ups here and there but w.e. No stressing the details here

So Tomorrow might be my last update for the week and also the last time I'm doing greyscale. Time to go back to colour and practice with that some more. Hopefully some improvement will be made (hoping for a little bit). Also wanna play with creatures and environments together. So next week might just be environments instead of figures...

EDIT: fuuuu forgot to smudge out a black line in the right picture ;___; - Also feel a bit sick today >.<

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by My57; December 27th, 2011 at 08:36 PM.
    My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice job on the last two! I'd recommend, however, that you think a little more about construction. At the moment it appears that you are copying what you see fairly well, but a bit more thought on construction (the simple forms that the figure is composed of, the bones/muscles underneath etc) and why the forms are lit the way they are (rather than simply copying) would be good. For example, on the image on the left, the forms from about the waist up are somewhat mushy and are not described as well as they could be. It looks to me as though you are relying on shadow shapes a lot, which, while not necessarily altogether a bad thing (it is something I actually use a fair bit), certainly does have many drawbacks as well.

The other thing I would suggest is to work on the entire figure more. Rather than working up the torso and part of a limb or two, I think it would be more beneficial to work on everything at once. This will do several things--firstly you will not develop your skills in an unbalanced manner (such as being able to draw a perfect torso but not able to draw the head, hands or feet), and secondly it will ensure you think of the whole figure and how everything relates to each other as part of the pose, in terms of values, and in terms of proportion.

Hope that helps! Keep up with the studies and work hard (don't forget to have a bit of a break before school starts again too! )

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments! However I would like to just say that I do know what is going on in my picture and how muscles wrap around joints and so on. But I only give myself an hour for each drawing. And I do admit to getting blur happy in the left one >.> - However I'm just slow at painting and when I do begin the painting my intentions are to render the whole thing. I just end up getting caught up in the torso and forgetting about my limbs until the end >.> - But I can render everything on the human body fairly wellllll just when I have more time. Especially for the face. My god if I want a good face that takes me an hour just on it's own ;___;

These studies are by no means near completion. I would need another hour or 2 to actually get them to a point where I'm happy (4 hours is usually my happy area). These studies are mainly just for converting colour into grey scale (I'm working from coloured photographs) and to improve my paint time in rendering.

That being all nicely said, I am enjoying my break and I'm not working too hard with studies to be honest. This is actually pretty lazy for me at the moment >.> - I'm really tired of rendering stuff because of school...

However for this next update I did try to render out the whole thing. Still got caught up in the torso but I did a bit better on the face this time around. The light on this model is so damn bright toooo it's hard to get the values right sometimes ;___;

Btw this is the same model from my last update. All 3 are the same. Should probably link the reference buuut it makes my painting look shittier >.>

*Last update for the week btw - Hopefully will update again sometime next week with coloured environments*

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bleh, I suck at environments. At least forest environments. *sigh*

Tried to paint a motor cycle in an hour. Ended up painting it for half an hour and spending another hour turning it into a sci fi thing. Really couldn't help myself.

I probably spent 4 hours today trying to do forests and failing and not saving and I made a post in the Painter forum for some help with it >.>

Ah wellll. Might just to mechanical stuff now instead of landscapes and the like.

Oh and there is a shit stuff wrong with this XD - I mainly just played with ideas for an hour and didn't really bother trying to render it out that much. So the colours and lighting is probably weird.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sigh* Did a lot of anatomy studies today. To lazy to upload (would have to scan and so on). So here are some "life" drawings from photographs. The longest one is 30 minutes. And fuuuuu not a good drawing day. To tired to continue on though. Hand hurts. Got a new book for anatomy and have been addicted to it. Gonna do mechanical stuff tomorrow.

Probably will do one final portrait on sunday without any time limit. I really want to render to the max >.>

Might do some more anatomy studies actually later tonight/this morning (12am yay!)

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh what's this? Something from my head? Nothing special. I'm playing around with brushes and earlier today I did some more anatomy studies. Tomorrow will be a portrait I thiiiiiink. But I suppose I did say I would do something mechanical today and I didn't so w.e. happens It'll be shit either way

Ummm so with all the playing around and stuff and trying to figure out which brush looks more like forest or so it took me about half an hour or 40 minutes roughlyyy... It was more or less just to get a feel for the brushes I made. - Also for me to finallllyyyy do an idea from my head.

Like a cloud forest!

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the gesture in the middle of the last row.

Sketchbook

Naidy • Black Spot • Eyestrain • VK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,429 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I definitely feel the weight of that lady in #153,
    you did a very nice job on her. And generally your
    painted figures look outstanding. At least in my eyes,
    they look great. You have some very sophisticated skill set,
    and you doing some hard core way too good things.
    I know the story about experimenting with brushes,
    they eat up a decent amount of time, as you said,
    40 minutes trying different stuff and you realize
    that you did not painted anything yet. But on
    the long run, it worth the time, cause the final
    brush set collection that you will make for yourself
    will make you do miracles in a much shorter time.
    So I will not rant no more, just will say that you should
    keep on with your stellar work. Be good and work hard.
    Cheers.

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your anatomy studies look quite nice, seems to me like you've got a good understanding of form and structure.
    That piece with a girl and a guy in her hair could be used for a cover image for some music album
    You could try doing some more environments, that one with a red building looks promising.
    Also, to offer a piece of advice, I would suggest you try to paint some concrete stuff instead of concentrating on testing some new brushes. I've heard a lot of great artist repeat it over and over again that it doesn't really matter what brushes do you use. Noah Bradley, for example, painted a whole environment with one or two brushes during a livestreaming recently.

Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So now do I realize that I need to start doing more paintings in colour. Speed paintings in colour that is. I'm to slow at painting in colour. And I'm terrible at portraits. I spent the whole day trying to do some and went through 4 different pictures before giving up. *sigh*

SO no update :3

Just me saying that I might not update again for a while because lovely school is starting up again and I'm going to be fairly miserable! Huzzah!

*cries*

Justyna - Oh i know, I only been playing with brushes this week. Most of the time I stick with 2 brushes. Oily Blender and Square Conte (Painter 12). - But thank you, I probably spent to much time on brushes to be honest. Well maybe not. It'll help in the future I hope....

LtPlissken - Thanks man, I hope you continue on with your stuff as well. Remember: Do ALL the studies

krysjez - Thanks - Me too.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the anatomy studies are really pushing your work to a new level, you just gotta keep on grinding and dont get down on yourself

Thanks
    Thanked 1,154 Times in 1,077 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sam =) The cloud study looks nice =) It looks like you relaxed and let the drawing jus come to you =) That's the way I see it anyway =) Good luck with school this year and for your drawing goals as well =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gestures have good sweeping lines. That last spaceship doodle is cool. You could get some ideas from that!

Behind every great master is a great student...

Imagination is more important than knowledge- Albert Einstein...
    _________
    NEW SKETCHBOOK -- http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...40#post3743640

OLD SKETCHBOOK: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...25#post2543225

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great ideas all around and great improvements in the grayscale! love those greyscale anatomy studies post more !

my sketchbook! Drawing like a maniac!!

My Blog

Destroy your weaknesses! theres nothing more to it! stop bitching grab that pencil and sketch Away!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I'm alive. Still. Kinda...

Anyways lots of stuff is now being uploaded. I've been working on my environments these past 2 months for the most parts. A bit of character design. I've been busy with other things so it's not that much for 2 months. However now I am gonna start working on my figures for about a month and after that I'm gonna work on my 3D by starting a project. Mainly having something to do with designing a vehicle. Also gonna do at least 1 full fledged painting.

Everything uploaded is basically under an hour. At most an hour and a half. Nothing really that great. Some are better than others. Generally the better looking ones are my newer ones. Exempting one or two.

Anyways that's it! Will be posting regularly now.

---------

There will be more. I'm uploading in parts. These are my Sci-Fi Concept things. Nothing really stellar. Just been looking at design mostly.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More! Still just Robots and stuff.

None of the stuff is in order or anything. It's all a mixture of new and old.

That's it for characters and stuff. Mostly did environments! So yay always fun uploading a mass of files...

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to let people know that the image with a bunch of coloured evironment thumbnails on it is my most recent stuff. So hopefully my composition has gotten a tad bit better.

There is still more >.>

And again none of these are in any particular order. However the first one was my very first "environment" .

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a reminder that most of these were done pretty quickly and thus don't look really that amazing. Was just kinda looking at compositions and stuff for the most part.

threw in some randoms pictures at the end that I forgot to put in before.

The soldier guy was referenced but the face was done from imagination - A bit generic looking though. Gonna be working on that this summer me hopes.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And finally some figure drawings I did yesterday! My most recent thing. Yay! Done uploading ^___________________________________^

So now my goal is to upload once every few days. And hopefully by Augest I'll have a nice personal project idea that can be done in a month before school starts.

- PS: Here is my only school project I can really upload as well. Just remembered it. Unsure if this is the newest one. I think the newest one is on my usb. Which I don't have with me at the moment. I would also upload stuff I have in my sketchbook sketchbook but scanning is to much work for me and most of my sketches look like a drunkard scribbled around.

And that's alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllll

Last edited by My57; July 3rd, 2012 at 05:16 PM.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome use of colour, I really like the colours you used in the thumbnails a little way up, really helps with quick reading of the image. Awesome work! Keep it up

DeviantART // My Sketchbook
    If you have the time please show me some love and +watch or come by and check out my progress and crit me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOw post 167 is amazing as well as the others!! Very intense sketchbook here, loving your work with the digital medium so far. Shwoing some great progress!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So here is what I have been doing these past 3 days. Been doing 3 hours of figure drawings every day so far. Gonna start doing todays. Knowing me I'll be to tired to upload anything after so I thought it would be better to get his over and done with.

- I've gotten a tad better with feet I think. At least getting the general shape correct quickly.

Thanks Joe! I haven't done that much though. All that was uploaded from the past 2 months. Been distracted with stupid life >.>

The maximum time on a figure is an hour. Although I can't tell much difference between half an hour and the one hour ones I made sadly >.>

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, looks like your getin better and better... really love the forest kinda pictures. keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, no excuses, you aren't tired, you maybe just saying that to yourself to get off doing studies =) Study when you're tired! =) Or don't! =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tablet is broken! Need to go to the store I bought it from today and get my receipt that I lost and ship it off to wacom! Always fun. It doesn't want to connect to any computer and none of my usb cords work with it.

Out of curiosity even if I don't have the drivers installed onto the computer the tablet should be able to at least light up right? Just double checking. The stupid tablet doesn't light up at all and isn't getting any power from anything >.<

Anyways so now I have been doing my figure drawings in my sketchbook. Feels strange doing it in pencil now and I'm slower at rendering than I am on the computer sadly. Ah well. More practice for me. I just look at anatomy and stuff rather than rendering anyways.

Here is my last digital before my tablet went bye bye on me.

My hands still aren't that great >.> - I feel like I'm kinda getting better though. MOOOORE Practice.

Thanks Jizu!

@Kungoowiz - I can only do about 3 hours of figure drawing before getting burned out - Although I'm starting to push myself a bit more. Did an extra 40 minutes yesterday. I can't think of anymore studies to do other than figure >.> - I did a lot of composition stuff earlier these months. As soon as my tablet comes back to me I might start doing scenes/illustrations. I need ideas >.>

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, my internet's really crap right now so your images aren't loading that well.. =/ Sorry to hear about your tablet, mine runs without drivers, but I got them installed as I have 'force proportions' set for my surface =) Hope you are keeping well man =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huh... So I'm alive. Go figure...My thread had been dead for a bit sadly. Bahhh my images are too large to upload.

Bleh. My matte paintings were really quick so don't hate them too much. - Also the one image that is attached is washed out cause of messed up colour settings in painter that I forgot to change back when I had to "reset" it kinda.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Sam =)

Thank you for the kind words on my work =)

I'm loving your enviros especially the last few ones, they have a great vibe about them =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really beautifull stuff wow, i especially love the figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The atmosphere you portray in your environment sketches is amazing, even though you spent little time on them- great skill!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 32