E.O.W. Round 153: The Captain's Private Quarters - MULTIVOTE! (Winner: JanJager)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Whose captain's quarters were your favorite?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • cegan

0 0%
  • misplacedhippos

4 6.78%
  • zelda geek

1 1.69%
  • Formic Acid

11 18.64%
  • JanJager

26 44.07%
  • Vitribius

6 10.17%
  • Ragnj

3 5.08%
  • xinranliu

7 11.86%
  • eronzki999

5 8.47%
  • Lyno

23 38.98%
  • android411

4 6.78%
  • twentyone

16 27.12%
  • Jaunay

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: E.O.W. Round 153: The Captain's Private Quarters - MULTIVOTE! (Winner: JanJager)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W. Round 153: The Captain's Private Quarters - MULTIVOTE! (Winner: JanJager)

E.O.W. Rnd #153: Guest host: matt kohr - The Captain's Private Quarters

Topic:
    The Captain's Private Quarters

Briefing:

Every ship has a captain - directing with unquestioned authority. One place provides them refuge from this dire role: their personal quarters.

You can tell a lot about someone by the way they decorate their bedroom. Do they collect art, records? Grow houseplants? What is the lighting like? Whether you depict a Sci-Fi battle-cruiser or a historical galleon, try to envision the human side of your stoic Captain, and decorate accordingly.

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.

Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

--------------

cegan

misplacedhippos

zelda geek

Formic Acid

JanJager

Vitribius

The story of James Patapoulos, who lost his wife in a journey in the sea, since then lives in a abandoned Factory, where he dreams that he is a great captain, he has made a illusion world around him, gathering and collecting things that somehow combined, in his imagination, turn into things of his ship.

This is my tribute to the film the King Fisher and Terry Gillian.

Ragnj

Explanation; the captains private quarter are located in the midst of the ship (see the biggest window) but is also enlarged in the rocket fire.

xinranliu

eronzki999

Lyno

android411

twentyone

Jaunay

fishergraphix (not in the poll this week, my apologies)

---------

Last edited by Vulgar`; December 21st, 2010 at 12:25 PM.
    My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted Environment of the Week
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Vulgar` For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cegan - Nice mood and colors! It has that cabin feel to it and I love how the bottle and barrel reflect the candlelight. Pespective is a bit off though, for example the stairs seem to lead really far away. Remember that each stair is on a different plane and has different vanishing lines.

Misplacedhippos - I really like the idea and dilapidated feel! Straighter lines and more regular shapes would just make it more believable.

Zelda Geek - Great colors and I like how you handled the smoke! The colors and arches make me think about some sultan's bedroom in the near east but the captain stuff on the floor help. I just fail to see the room as a part of a ship. That's probably for a large part due to the big door holes.

Formic Acid - I really like your colors too, as well as the overall clean and well-rendered feel. What's missing though in my opinion is the connections to the captain. It could be any corridor from the ship. That's the only reason I didn't vote for it.

JanJager - I love the thumbnails you did, all of them were good ideas but this one's probably my favorite too. All the details in the cozy furniture helps give the captain personality. To me the values seem to lack some depth though. You put the biggest contrast near the captain which makes sense but I think you could've still gone a bit darker on the stuff on the foreground, it blends in the background IMO.

Vitribius - I like the level of detail and massive feel! I think there's some problems with perspective though, the roof beams don't seem to attach the wall in right angles and the ovals on the chandelier look too round.

Ragnj - Nice star formations and composition looks good in its simplicity. There'd be no way I'd see the relevance to the captain's cabin specifically without your explanation though.

Xinranliu - Nice, cozy feel and all the captain stuff makes it clear where we are. I think you could've given it extra punch with more moody lighting though, it's hard to make white ambient light look interesting.

Eronzki999 - Great mood and interior decoration - the picture shouts captain's cabin! There are some problems with perspective though, you seem to have many horizon lines.

Lyne - Your picture looks believable down to the smallest detail! I love the form of the bed, how the table's tied to the floor, the hatch, how the light seeps in from the windows (though the chair has no cast shadow) etc. I voted for this one.

Android411 - Nice composition and there's plenty of details to make it sell as captain's quarters. The lighting looks confusing to me though, it's hard to tell where the sun is and objects (apart from the gold) don't seem to have local color.

Twentyone - Nice mood and ornaments, it has some good steam punk feel IMO. The perspective looks inconsistent though.

Jaunay - Looks dark, must be one badass captain! I think you could've made it moodier by darkening the sides, thus making the candle light and the light coming from the door have more effect.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to smuli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks smuli, I really need to tackle with perspective, up to now I've just relied to my gut feel.

smuli have said all I want to say. My favorites are twentyone, JanJager and Lyno based on mood design and concept. Great works!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for vitrubius the whole piece has a lot of intensity, and emotional depth to it (yes bad english) it only needed more rendering, but i loved it.
    also voted for twentyone, i liked it on a quick look. i think it has this mood, and potential to become soething relly cool, just like his entry the piligramge round.

crap, and i think i forgot to vote for lyno, it's so carefully rendered and moody, impressive. i still can't see this particular room as the captain quarters though.

i love ragnj retro comix style, you're amazing dude.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to noche For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

Wanted to thank the Person(s) responsible for posting the 2 pieces by the Artists that were unable to do so themselves.

~ app

9. The Following User Says Thank You to app For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

missing submission

Vulgar,
    I got my submission in on time, but it wasnt included in the vote. do you know why?

thanks for checking

fishergraphix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    F***....

My bad fisher. I'll edit in your entry but I can't edit the poll to my knowledge. Sorry about that, I must've skipped over it by accident. Maybe I'll start Final Burning threads so it doesn't happen again.

My site:
    http://thecentersphere.yolasite.com/

DA:
    http://halfshavenbananas.deviantart.com/

New World Creation: Designers Wanted Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cegan: Your piece has nice mood. Some parts are a bit too dark for me, but overall a nice piece .

Misplacedhippos: Cool approach on the subject, I also miss some straighter lines;

Zelda Geek: Nice colors! Maybe the character in the front is a bit too static but maybe it gives a nice contrast with the lady on the bed.

Formic Acid: Nice clear piece, you got my vote.

JanJager: Nice subject and rendering, some parts are a bit to soft for me. I mean for example the character, if you could spent some more time on the rendering, the piece would have a more finished look for me, but a good piece!
    I also voted for you.

Vitribius: Nice piece! Cool to see all the details, you got also my vote.

Ragnj: A whole other piece then the others here, but it's original.

Xinranliu: Nice piece and great details, love the fish on the wall ^^. You also got my vote.

Eronzki999: Good piece, this gives me a direct feeling of a captain's room. I think you could have pushed the rendering a bit more but first of all create a good perspective grid to work on.

Android411: A cool piece but everything is a bit too bright for me, it's hard for me too look at this piece because my eye is attracted to different parts at the same time (by using too much bright lights)

Twentyone: Nice piece! I also get the direct feeling of a captain's quarter.

Jaunay: Good work, some good nice details too, try to create some depth though by using more different values in your work.

fishergraphix: Really nice piece, this is my favorite, nice reflections and angle! You would also got my vote.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyno For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1