Art: Dragons, and hello

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dragons, and hello

My first post on the forums. I have to say, I'm extremely impressed by what I see here! I just love browsing the forums and looking at all the amazing sculptures everyone has done! Though my work is nowhere near any of this, I thought I'd put some stuff up here and introduce myself, so I don't feel too awkward about popping into random threads to oogle stuff, ahaha.

Anyways, Hi! I'm Sen, I am not a professional artist, I will never be a professional artist, and I have only taken one pottery class in high school where I made a bowl, two pitchers, and a slab-built wiggly castle thing. I actually like the wiggly castle thing. It makes a good candle holder. All of this stuff on here, the polymer clay stuff, is just stuff I figured out on my own. I'm 21, and for the purposes of this site, I hereby have no gender. Nice to meet you!

Anyways, pictures. Yeah, I know, all of these are dragons. *might be slightly obsessed* And these were made before I knew of the magic that is super sculpey, so since it was original sculpey, I think it wasn't very strong, and there were a few cracks.

Dragons, and hello

Dragons, and hello

Dragons, and hello
    The blue one above is the first sculpture I ever did with polymer clay.

Dragons, and hello

Dragons, and hello

Dragons, and hello

Dragons, and hello

Dragons, and hello

The above one is shaped strangely because it's meant to be mounted onto a plaque and hung on the wall. Just haven't gotten around to doing it.

I'll eventually follow with an in-progress sculpture that I started after reading and re-reading the fabulous tutorial done by Smellybug. I just can't decide how to do the scales.

Anyways...I look forward to interacting with all of you, and hope you've been at least moderately entertained by this.

Happy holidays!
    Sen

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

Can't say I'm the biggest fan of the 'cute' style, but the first two remind me of the fuzzier interpretations of bambiraptor and microraptor - which isn't a bad thing.
    In fact the heads look pretty raptor-like in general (what with the sweeping, squared-off snout. Intentional or not?), and I'd guess you've been looking at real animals for all three. In some points looking hard. Which is more than some pro dragon artists and sculptors ever did. The shapes and poses all look fairly natural (feathers might need some work ) and the result is not bad at all, for the first sculpts by a non-pro who's taken one pottery class.

I just can't decide how to do the scales.
    Style, or technique?

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the response!!

As for the cute thing, I'm trying to work my way out of the cute style, but with the one I'm working on now, it isn't really looking much less cute, hahaha.

I do like raptors quite a bit, and I did use raptor bone structure as references for those dragons, yes. I like the general head shape of raptors, and also liked the idea of dragons without the typical hard scales and leathery wings. The smaller ones were intended to be hatchlings, which is why I included the shell for a size ref. in the second one.

Thank you for your commentary, I really appreciate it.

Well...both style and technique. I really like the more natural looking scale work, similar to what you see on bearded dragons, that I've seen by a number of artists on here. I also have not been able to figure out how to get that level of detail without then messing it up later on. On the larger dragon I made all the scales individually and pressed them into place--they weren't carved or sculpted on, and I have a feeling that most of the people on here who did scales were carving them on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, welcome to the forum. Not bad for a first timer...remember we were all first timers at one time, no shame there. Your dragon babies are cute, {nothing wrong with that, although most people like the really dangerous ones, with flesh dangling from the fangs and blood dripping from the mouth}. I have done some hatchlings myself and really enjoyed making them.
    As for scales, they can be quite time consuming, just like feathers. I guess that most of us make them and then add them, but you could carve them as well. There is no right or wrong way, just what is best for you.
    Keep up the good work and post often. It's also a good idea to comment on other people's work if you want them to comment on yours. Again welcome to the forum. It's good to see you young people coming on board and carrying the torch, so to speak.

Mah ' Crub

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seneschal View Post
    As for the cute thing, I'm trying to work my way out of the cute style
    Ah, well, while I say I'm not the biggest fan, I don't begrudge you your own preferences.

The smaller ones were intended to be hatchlings
    Conveyed well with the large heads and big eyes.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.