Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Hey man, you have the desire and that's step 1... that's great in and of itself. You must keep that desire; so keep drawing what you love.

Quote Originally Posted by Umbravita View Post
    Decided, what the hell, I'll give Ysera a full go. Here's a basic sketch. Crit ze shit out of me!
    It's great to tackle something so difficult...

It's difficult to crit this (and I see these types of messages in many people's books)... where there are multiple things that could get a comment, so I usually don't say anything... because I figure the artist will try again, and keep going.

But I'm going to give you a few things on the figure here.

You're attacking the drawing in a very difficult way; you're perceiving it as a collection of outlines instead of a collection of shapes. That's why it looks like she's tipping towards us, with all of her parts. If approached by conceiving her as simple shapes, it would be easier to keep the parts and then the whole in perspective.

To start with, measure. Measure always... use proportion to prop you up, until you start seeing it in your head. Use a ruler if you have to. Use the head height as one unit of measure, and the head width as another. If drawing the head, use nose height as one, and eye width as another. Then check horizontal distances against verticals and vice versa.

Then really, really look closely at the shapes you're drawing. That may be obvious, but it really helps... you may inadvertently miss an angle or make a line too long. Always step back and look at what you've done once in a while and decide if there's a mistake. If there is, remeasure.

If you're going along pretty well after some initial measurements, by all means... just start drawing without measuring and keep drawing until you get stuck on the proportions again. Then just measure what looks off against what you know is measured right.

If you work like that, I promise that it will lead you to drawing correct proportions... and that's really 80% of the battle.

Good luck, work hard, and have fun!

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oooh, thanks for the comments folks!

Suspect: Thank you so much for those links! I watched those videos all the way through and he offers great advice and it was educational to watch him do it, too.

Marian Rowling: Thank you! I took on a lot of bad habits throughout those years so it's good to change them at last.

p sage: What great advice, eee!

I've never thought to see them as shapes, and come to think of it I think that's why I have such trouble drawing from life as well. Real life doesn't have outlines, and it's always been harder for me to draw from life. I still have difficulties with measurement but I hope that in time it will become second nature.

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain this!

---

Today we have an attempt at a landscape study! I had trouble seeing value and colour so I took off my glasses and discovered being short sighted had its uses after all. I found it made a great difference and after reading what p sage said above I realise now I was seeing the shapes instead of outlines, because my vision is far too poor to pick out details.

After a while I stuck my glasses back on and was quite thrilled at what I managed to do! It's very blurry and lacks detail for now, but I wanted to preserve it in its current state before I potentially trash it further, lol.

Reference: Here

Going to go work further on it.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    As close to finished as this will get. It's pretty out of proportion, I'll be more careful next time.

Thanks
    The mountain study is great man! Now i wanna do moar digital's.
    Your doing a great job man...improvement i seee!
    thanks 4 the sb visits, ill come by again soonish to see some more work.
    peace out bro

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good job, umbravita. I agree with everything p sage said. One book I bought a while back that helped me to see the body as shapes was Jack Hamm's The Head and Figure. He has some basic shapes in there that will give you a good starting point, and I think it's less complicated than Loomis'.

On the landscape, I think you should add the ice in the water to make the bottom of the picture more interesting. With the mountain in the background, the furthest one, there is foreshortening there. It gets less detailed as it goes further away. You have it completely blurred out, whereas in the ref, it's almost as detailed as the mountain closest to the viewer.

Good job and keep it up.

My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bish0p2004 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Mountain looking good. Keep working

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Howdy! I'll crit yeh.
    Keep cranking the anatomy studies, you'll do good with those and you seem dedicated. Work those on a daily basis!
    Now, I think you should practice on your painting. For example, post 61: Try doing the lines on a sketch layer and painting on another layer. At least try to get rid of the sketchy black lines separating background elements from foreground elements and ''paint those lines''. If you do choose to do so, don't make them black or gray; black lines are rarely ever seen in organic elements.
    And when you shade, dont just drag the cursor straight downwards and choose the same color to shade in. For example, make the backgroundred and add a slight shade of red to the edges of his shoulder pad and VOILA, it'll look more 3-dimensional that way.

It depends whether you want to grind on anatomy of painting first, but i'd also suggest practicing on painting using photo references. Work hard and you'll get better ! Hope my post wasnt too long

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SandyMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heh heh heh, I'm very stop and start with drawing. Haven't drawn at all since my last upload. I've been focusing on writing instead.

They say to be an expert at something you have to do only that thing. Between my writing and art I'm never going to be amazing at one if I can't ever choose between them, but I don't want to. I'm either drawing a lot and writing little or the other way around.

I must say, looking at things as shapes instead of outlines is a massive -- well. It's amazing how different things look, that way. I'm working on looking at things as an artist, rather than a non-artist. Which won't make up for not drawing at all, I know.

I'm curious -- for how long every day do you folks draw? I must spend a few hours a day on writing on a good week... need to get off my ass and get better at time management so I can draw as well. Eek.

Tron: I love digitals, you should do more! Thanks!

Bish0p: I've had comments about the ice. If I get back to that pic I'll fix that up and put more detail into that mountain, too.

p sage: Thanks!

SandyMan: For all I've been taught about putting an apple on white paper and the colour reflection of the paper on the apple... I've never thought to apply that to other stuff. *Picard double facepalm* Yeah, I'm not too bright sometimes. Also, thanks for your advice about the lines. I've had trouble when taking out the lines where the colours that are next to each other look too blended together without the lines, it's something I'll work on! ^^;

Thanks
    Thumbnail of the pic earlier where I played with colours and decided I didn't like the composition. This is the one I'm going to go with.

In this one I'm going for a cloudy night scene rather than the eye-bleedingly daytime one, and sticking in some glowy healing magic as well.

To prep for it I'm going to do studies of clouds, the moon, rocks/mountains, and, of course, poses and whatnot. The poses are going to be really tricky.

Thanks
    ... And I stop drawing again. Damn it.

OK. I really want to get in the habit of drawing every day, so I've laid out a plan to establish the habit which involves ridiculously small baby steps. For now, I intend to draw for five minutes a day. Just five minutes, I can do more if I want, but that's the min. And when that gets too easy, I'll move onto ten minutes.

It sounds silly, I know. But it's worked for me before.

Some 15-sec posemaniacs. (Ignore the name, lol.) A balloon from imagination, where I played with reflected light/colour. Doesn't look round, but eh. And lastly, I have a new tablet now and there was corel painter sketchpad or whatever software on a disc, so I played around with it for the lady by the fire. I couldn't get any detail down without messing it up, so it's messy and vague but it was a blast!

Thanks
    Same lady as above.

Yes, the eyes are massive, I know.

More poses.

Thanks
    More gestures. First two batches came out really badly, but the third -- didn't use posemaniacs for the third -- I seemed to hit my stride and did better!

Might grind out some Loomis next time.

Thanks
    LOOK GUYS LOOK HOW MUCH I DID TODAY.

Today was productive! Doing 5 mins a day at least is doing wonders so far. I didn't feel like drawing this morning, so I promised myself only 5 mins of gestures. And I ended up firing up photoshop throughout the day anyway. As they say, most of success is showing up!

The lone gesture was from imagination, since I read that you should do things from imagination every once in a while to reinforce what you've learned. Yaaaay. So there that is!

I'm (for the moment) pretty impressed with how the value study came out. I know I do far too many portraits, but ehh, I like them and I needed to do a value study anyway. That's my excuse!

Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 31