Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    LOOK GUYS LOOK HOW MUCH I DID TODAY.

Today was productive! Doing 5 mins a day at least is doing wonders so far. I didn't feel like drawing this morning, so I promised myself only 5 mins of gestures. And I ended up firing up photoshop throughout the day anyway. As they say, most of success is showing up!

The lone gesture was from imagination, since I read that you should do things from imagination every once in a while to reinforce what you've learned. Yaaaay. So there that is!

I'm (for the moment) pretty impressed with how the value study came out. I know I do far too many portraits, but ehh, I like them and I needed to do a value study anyway. That's my excuse!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice "flowy" lines
    The value study is pretty good but I think the ear is too light.

Thanks
    great portrait studies dude!
    yeh i agree with sushy, a bit too light, in contrast to the face
    keep on truckin dude

Thanks
    Ohh, thanks for pointing that out, Sushy and Tron, I see it now.

The last 5 days have been... bleh. Still doing the 5 minutes a day, mostly. Did a photo study of Morgana from Merlin, well, it's in process. Worked on that for two days, too lazy the third to even pick up photoshop so I missed a day. Then yesterday I just made coloured splotches in photoshop for five minutes, and today I finally got back on the ball and, since I was sick of black 30-sec gestures, I did PURPLE 30-sec gestures! YEAH.

I... they're messy and nasty still, but I am pleasantly surprised with how these turned out. I think I'm getting a few distinctive shapes down, though I definitely need to work more on the shapes of the heads and hands.

Thanks
    More. Tried to focus more on movement than appearance.

Thanks
    Hey guys, just for a change, MORE GESTURES!

Srsly though. One thing that always annoys me while drawing from imagination is how frustrating it is for me to get a pose down. I find it very difficult to draw a basic human shape and always have to resort to reference or making it look really bad. Hence why I'm doing all the gestures, I'm hoping to kill that problem dead before I move onto something else. It's probably better than being all over the place, at least for now, anyway.

The multi-coloured poses require a li'l explanation. I heard that a great way to improve is to look at a pose, then draw it from another angle. They're colour coded, lol. The left is the pose as I saw it, the middle is the pose as I imagined it would look like from another angle, and the right one is how it actually looked from the angle I'd wanted. I was horribly wrong in some cases, but in the last pink one I was pretty close! It's very, very challenging and I can feel it exercising my brain muscles and visualisation skills just to try and picture it from another angle.

Thanks
    Page 4 is hereby named THE PAGE OF BORING GESTURES. Maybe I'll dump a crapload of value studies on page 5.

More cases of drawing from other angles. This time, though -- the top row of each colour is where I guessed what it'd look like from that angle, bottom row is what it actually looked like.

Man, this is difficult. I can feel it stretching my brain!

In other news, I need to learn to draw from the shoulder, not the wrist, don't I? :/ I better get used to that. But ow, my shoulder hurts.

Going to doodle a bit, because oh man are gestures boring after a while.

Thanks
    I don't feel like I'm learning anything. Whenever I try to draw from imagination, they turn out to look exactly like my stuff from imagination used to look. I haven't improved at all when it comes to imagination stuff. I can only see progress with referenced stuff.

Is it normal not to see any progress at all from imagination, or am I doing too much referenced stuff?

Might try the different-angled poses again. That might help. idk.

Some hands. Too lazy to put any real effort into them so I did them quickly. Referenced stuff tends to bore me to tears unless I do them quickly. I need to get over it and just grind, grind, grind. I really want to be much better than this.

ETA: This inspires me.
    Last edited by Umbravita; September 27th, 2011 at 07:04 AM.

Thanks
    Thanx for stopping by my sketchbook

Thanks
    This is the most boring page in the history of most boring sketchbook pages ever. So I thought I'd change it up and --

JUST KIDDING, MORE GESTURES GUYS.

First attachment is me not using references, just pissing around, trying to reinforce what I learned. Second attchmnt is me doing 30 sec gestures, but from alternate angles from what I was given. I think I'm getting the hang of it.

I should do stuff from imagination but I don't feel inspired at all...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 1,087 Posts
    You've been quite productive with those gestures in particular, great job!
    I think with some you should pay more attention to proportions, and these are digital, no?
    I used to do them like that as well, but after i started doing more traditionally, i've seen a lot more improvement overall. Consider varying them.

It's good that you do from imagination stuff as well. Really solidifies what you learned, and i for one realise what i don't know so well or already forgot. Do you study from life as well?
    Sketchbook - I really appreciate comments and critique, please visit!

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cristina Zabava For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Keep working those anatomy studies man! And I agree with what BlackDelphin said about doing some traditional, I improve best that way as well!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to NatSmall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    "I was eighteen when I put this sketchbook up, but now I am nineteen." haha same here! keep pushing yourself man

I like your introduction, hope you're still holding fast to what you wrote "I'm done with being mediocre" , you say you want stuff more aimed to beginners here you go take a look at this.

Quote Originally Posted by matt kohr View Post
    If you haven't been to the site yet, you should totally check it out!

www.ctrlpaint.com

Umbravita's Little Thread of Progress

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gasping For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbravita View Post
    I don't feel like I'm learning anything. Whenever I try to draw from imagination, they turn out to look exactly like my stuff from imagination used to look. I haven't improved at all when it comes to imagination stuff. I can only see progress with referenced stuff.
    Understanding.

That's what you need.

Understanding and then practice.

But what to practice? You would know better than anyone.

How do you know or find out what to practice?

You have to search for your weakness; you have to have enough passion and care to diligently look for new answers around every corner; you have to invent new ways to get information into your brain. You have to fight VanGogh's iron wall.

It's a wall of complacency; it's a wall of indifference. It's a wall of ignorance, and it's not a simple barrier. It's made up of alot of different types of ignorance... not knowing form; not knowing light; not knowing how to keep "the whole"; not understanding unity; not understanding action.

How you fight against the wall of ignorance is important, too. If you're looking at reference, really look at it. No... LOOK CLOSER.

If you're drawing gesture, go fast--but CONCENTRATE on the model.

It's hard for anyone to know better than you what to do next.

Seek understanding. Then, seek improvement. Passion is the fuel. Don't get sidetracked.

Understanding in draftsmanship is not easily won or purchased or grasped in a few moments of spare time per day or week. It is indeed an iron wall to get through.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Those hands are looking damn good sir!
    the above comment by P sage is is some quality advice =D . im using that aswell XD.
    Ive also been on ctrlpaint website, and i must say its very good.
    keep it up man =D. dont give up. all my imagination stuff looks the same too tbh.
    take care! - + i updated just for u

21. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast