Sketchbook: Pervy's Sketchbook! - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some more studies I did to figure out some of the things I don't yet understand. The first two reptiles is on textures, Hands on colors, and the final study for atmosphere/environments. lol also finally awesome to have a 8th page on here because I was so tired of staring at all my old stuff ahah.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holaa buddy, those studies sure seem to be helping out so i DEMAND that you produce more of them. Be mindful of rushing to get the colours down- are you starting with a pre sketch for some of these? The hands one for example has an odd finger on the hand on the left which throws the proportion and foreshortening a bit off (as well as leading the eye there!)

Always remember the more you flip and check proportions,accuracy and duplicity in the initial stages of your piece- whether thats a scribble,a blueprint or a sketch will make a fine outcome.

The stronger the start,the easier the ride.

Will

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FootstepsBeckon: Super sorry for the late reply, but thanks a whole bunch since I definitely took your advice on construction to heart while I've been working! I'm actually starting to finally get a bit more proficient at working with constructional line-art and transitioning to the painting stage, and that means a lot since the process of moving from lines to pure colors always takes me forever ahah.

-----------------------------------------

I finally have time to do personal work again since all the nda projects are finally finished until maybe early/mid march. It just feels great to finally be able to paint an idea from my imagination again even though what I come up with is always lame and random lol.

In this image I just combined together elements like fire with a figure while being inspired by Night of Fire. Should of done some studies before attempting this (especially on fire), but at least I had fun attempting to make things look right ahah.

Also I'm going through both college and work once again, so I'm not all to sure I'll be disappearing for months at a time or not, but I do hope that wont be the case ^^;

For Higher-Res image: Night of Fire 1440x2160

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Pervy; February 3rd, 2012 at 04:33 AM. Reason: Fix link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, mate. Glad to see you're keeping up the studies. (And might I add, that face study on posssst 208's really showing you're getting the hang of making things 'pop')
    Those hand studies, too. I'm liking.

I think that woman on the last post though suggest there'd be no harm studying the neck/shoulder area though. That area's been stumping me lately too. Other than that, the rest of the figure's pretty good. Like the shading around her nose and mouth too. (Not to mention, heads at that angle are always ALWAYS so hard to do decently).

Anyways, you're getting there, mate. Keep up the good work!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr -
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, your sketchbook is coming along nicely! I'm really impressed with the drawing of the woman in post 186. I like the environment studies too, good colours and depth. Would be nice to see you produce a high quality environment / landscape as all the components seem to be looking right. As everybody always says, keep going!!!

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naidy: Thanks so much for the compliment and encouragement, lol and your definitely right on the anatomy around the neck area. Funny thing is I actually struggled to make the shoulder muscles more feasible (after finishing the piece), but of course a bad drawing and anatomy can only take you to a brick wall ^^;. Also noticed I tend bs a lot when rendering the collar bones/neck/lower jaw and also render them about the same way in each piece. All that to say, ya got me right on T-T. the studies, they never do end!

Dayle: o-o so awesome to see hear from you again! Todays a good day for sure ahah. I was actually working on some client pieces that applied those environment studies I did earlier, but have no idea when I'll ever be able to post them. Though personally I think I did kind of "ehh" on the job, but they approved it anyways lol. Eventually though I do want to incorporated background into my personal work as well, since I really can't have figures in a boxed-world forever if I plan to go anything 'pro' haha. Hm, but judging by my man-direction.. I still have a long way to go before I feel any bit confident in my backgrounds lol.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its so awesome to see you guys scrape up the extra time to checkout my sketchbook, you guys always comment at just the right time to keep me motivated! I also wanted to go ahead and replay to the messages since I really don't want to leave you two hanging for however long it takes me to do another personal piece ahah.

As of now, I may or may not disappear for a while given how much studying I have to do for college classes and work (a trend that hits my sketchbook every semester lol). Though I just hope that I'll be out of college by next year and can finally go full time art. Hm, but looking at the current situation and history of college past, I may not post to often until summer comes around ^^;.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo~ Classes all over, I can start painting and posting once again!

Easy texture study to get used to photoshop's shortcuts and drawing on my tablet.

After warming up I did a master study to ready myself for an upcoming illustration which has a child. Definitely wasn't ready to do this painting, but had a lot of fun attempting.

Now feeling more confident working digitally again, I went for a photo study I really liked the lighting in. The face in this took longer then everything else in the study twice over to do, haha. This proved to me that I really need to focus on getting realistic faces down.

Thus! Now I did this photo study to get better at painting faces. Still feel it takes me far to long to paint faces, but I think I'm starting get better with each study regardless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some sketches I did to get more used to drawing with the tablet. Not all to happy with any of the results, but it was still fun moving from pencil to the slickness of the tablet. Not sure how long it'll take for me to get as used to it as drawing on paper, but with a few more dozens of these I can see myself getting somewhat second nature with the tablet.

Haha, still have horrible ideas for character designs of course. May do more of these but focusing on backgrounds as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More photoshop sketching practice! I'm slowly getting the hang of drawing with the tablet little by little. I'm pretty sure I'll get to the point where I can draw with the tablet like I would with pencil, but whether or not I'll be able to sketch as fast digitally is something that kind of bothers me haha.

At my current pace it just takes way to much time to draw things digitally, so lets see if I can get faster!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even more photoshop sketching practice, but now trying to play with color! I tried coloring the same way I would with copics or watercolor. Pretty soon I'll have to start turning these random characters devoid of backgrounds into actual usable painted illustrations.

Just gotta keep pushing fundamental sketching!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally my first digital personal painting after a long while! I'm still feeling a bit rusty getting things out from my imagination regarding lighting/textures/form. Saying that, I'm wasn't really wanting to even post the end product, but I slept on it and figured it could only get better from here!

The idea was to just do a simple portrait and a sunrise to get into the swing of painting from my head once again. Made tons of mistakes in the process, but now I at last have a better idea of what to not do the next time around.

Link to 100% view: Sunday

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whew, this one sure took a while but I finally finished another personal illustration!

With each painting I'm starting to get a better grasp on how to transition from the rough and line to value and color (competition is somewhere in there as well but as you can see I'm still struggling with understanding it completely).

I can't say I'm happy with the image itself, since I'm beginning to realize just how much my work needs to incorporate proper story and design to really sell itself. There's so many artists out there that paint so loosely and fast then nail the composition/story that they make anything I do no matter how much i render look horrible. Must strive to get better!

Link to higher resolution image: Forest of Spirits
    Link to step-by-step process: Forest of Spirits Process

Last edited by Pervy; June 30th, 2012 at 02:18 AM. Reason: Added step-by-step link

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some quick Burne Hogarth studies I did focusing on legs, since often times its just a good idea for me to review certain muscles to refresh myself on how certain anatomy works.

After doing the leg studies, I went on to do some figure studies as well.

Finally some figures from imagination, just having some fun with trying to sketch with a brush other then the hard/soft round! Gotta get more dynamic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are a few of the horse studies I've been doing to get ready for yet another illustration. I've done studies on a variety of different animals, but as of now horses seem so much more difficult to wrap my brain around compared to all the others. One of the main reasons being that unlike a furry creature a horse has well defined muscles all interlocking in a specific way making it difficult not to fudge lol.

When it comes to a illustration, I refuse myself from using references so I usually do the studies before attempting what I have in mind for the piece. But, I'm still not sure I'll be able to paint the horse I have in mind (along with the saddle/bridle/equipment) purely from my imagination. That won't stop me from trying though! Wish me luck haha.

Here are some studies I did focusing on mainly colors and a little bit of texture.

Now these are some quick sketches both from imagination and reference. Trying to just drill their anatomy into my head. Have to admit drawing in photoshop isn't exactly the best way for me to retain information (nor the prettiest), but if I did it traditionally I couldn't post them lol. Anyways, I do feel I'm getting a grasp on how to execute the upcoming illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to take a break today from my illustrations and do a quick speed paint for today. Not sure how long this took or the exact premise, but for some reason it just felt nice to paint something within a couple hours haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these studies and practices are getting better and better, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kevin_: Thanks a lot Kevin! It really means a lot to hear that you see progress in my studies, since when I just stare at my own stuff I sometimes wonder if I really am improving haha. I'll keep trying my best and thanks again!

----------------------------------------------------------

Heya again guys, I finally get the chance to post an illustration I've been working on! I had a lot of fun working on this one since I got to put a little spin on painting the regular human characters.

For High Resolution image and Step-by-Step Process, you can visit the blog post on my site here:
    Beneath It All

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Pervy - I had some random thoughts about your sb

Still life #196 is very nice. I think you should do more of those.

Your studies are my favorites I think - The girl in #217 is great! Is that Bouguereau-eauouou guy?

You have lots of digital paintings - sometimes I think you should simplify or loosen up in them, like suggest detail more and don't always paint it. Doing more traditional exercises - like value sketches with pencil, might help you see what I mean more, if that makes sense?

thanks for sharing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some really loverly stuff their Pervy! Really love the detail you have in the faces!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Char Fury <3 800.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  240.7 KB

I was doing some studies on explosions and decided to apply what I learned into a piece form imagination, but before I knew it I ended up tossing in a 'charmander' for fun, haha.

As always you can find the Step-by-Step on my blog post for this on my site: Here

Name:  helm of shiny.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  164.4 KBName:  Pipeline-Explosion study.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  182.3 KBName:  study them explosions~11-17-12.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  244.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone! Just started a new illustration and decided to do some quick studies to sharpen up my mental pencil before I stabbed lead first into what I foresee will surely challenge my mental eraser to its bitter end.

So, knowing that I started with studying a landscape to refresh my understanding of colors/value at a distance, a photo from starwars on some smoke illuminated by different lights, and finally an artillery unit kicking up dust to understand it's mechanical intricacies *cough* and its surrounding flatulence.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Members who have read this thread: 1